Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So we'll have books, literacy, and fleshed-out grammar in the next release?  (Read 2438 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jumped the gun on books a bit to make necromancer towers more varied (thought I was going to do grammar first, but physically, that was unimportant). We had a wizard game from a long time ago with fun little generated books, so we went for that. As usual, it'll be more interesting later, but you can currently read them and learn. If you can read.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: So we'll have books, literacy, and fleshed-out grammar in the next release?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:15:13 am »

(I meant to imply there that grammar wasn't important for what I needed, and so I've done things in the opposite order I originally thought -- I haven't added the grammar system)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:22 am »

Oh. Well that's still pretty awesome. I'm not sure how many times I've seen books get brought up in the Suggestions forum, and I've been looking forward to them for a long time myself. Can't wait until the release!

Anyway, thanks for making this great game, Toady, and for personally answering. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:25 am »

The thing I'm excited about here is the possibility of Dwarf Mode libraries and down the line more things for dwarves to do on break/idling.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:46:15 am »

I can't wait to see the grammar of Dwarven.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »

So what's this wizard game?  I love seeing toady's old creations.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »

and things will actually catch on fire now

If only I could remember the ignition temperature for books...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:31 pm »

It's 10419 Urist.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »

I really hope I can have one (or all) of my dwarfs be a world-renowned author.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

You just have to tell him to write Green Eggs and Ham about 300 times, then he'll be able to write original timeless classics.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:05 pm »

(I meant to imply there that grammar wasn't important for what I needed, and so I've done things in the opposite order I originally thought -- I haven't added the grammar system)

(I don't think the parentheses are necessary)

Also, with grammar and such, would that mean that grammar rules can be modded--leading to easier translation projects?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:39:37 pm by Putnam »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 09:02:05 pm »

you know, it would be really neat if dwarves could learn from books  -- not just the ancient secrets of life and death, mind, which are spiffy enough, but useful things, like, being able to train skill up to a point (highest embarkable skill?) by being told to (s)tudy a labor (rather than perform it).  Naturally, they'd need a chair, and access to the book (library zone, like hospital?), and the book would have to be written by someone with sufficient skill. It would be doubly nice if children could study, though perhaps not directably, and enter adulthood with something other than maybe a point in some farm skill (is it grower?).
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:53:09 pm »

I actually think when you create a room from a chair, it says "Create office/study" or somesuch.

Then write only about armorsmithing/weaponsmithing so all of your moody children make artifact armor/weapons, instead of useless crafts.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:47 am »

(The infidel dares defy the Great Toad with his heathenish punctuation?! THROW HIM TO THE MAGMA BEARS)

I guess this puts us one step closer to the mythical procedurally-generated poems, doesn't it? I will accept the pregnancy and apes with open arms on that day.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 10:12:00 am »

you know, it would be really neat if dwarves could learn from books  -- not just the ancient secrets of life and death, mind, which are spiffy enough, but useful things...
Secrets of life and death are VERY useful! Let's see: Zombie butlers, zombie dishwashers, zombie cooks, undead-walking-skin-things for mobile notepads, unliving skulls to adorn your scepter (side note: Animated totems would be awesome), half-zombie footrests, reanimated goblin soldiers, a pit of flailing zombie limbs to dump prisoners in...

(The infidel dares defy the Great Toad with his heathenish punctuation?! THROW HIM TO THE MAGMA BEARS)

I guess this puts us one step closer to the mythical procedurally-generated poems, doesn't it? I will accept the pregnancy and apes with open arms on that day.
...Wait, WHAT?!?!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2