Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whips: How do you deal with them?  (Read 2395 times)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whips: How do you deal with them?
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »

Whip ambush squads murder my militia every time. Is there a better armor setup to protect against them? Do you typically just mod their size down?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Whips: How do you deal with them?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »

Marksdwarves.
This is a blank sig.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »

Extreme training.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:54:57 pm »

Marksdwarves behind fortifications will soften them up, as will war dogs.  Traps of any sort will thin the ranks, and are a personal favorite of mine.  Finally, danger-room-trained soldiers will stand a better chance of survival, if you're not opposed to using danger rooms.

Finally, to even the odds you can trade or acquire goblinite until you get your own master lasher squad.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »

Are whips still like lightsabers?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »

More like tiny supersonic warhammers.
Alien intervention allowed all the material to be used ONLY in the handle, and the very tip, which makes them hit hella hard.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »

I think I modded my whips to be normal weapons rather than wmd's. I know they no longer massacre my militia as they go along, at least. In my previous fort one of my wounded had been lashed on his head (steel helmet helps a lot though) for at least 20 pages before the Goblin lasherwas moved.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

‼Magma‼.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »

At first they seem overwhelming, but over time you start to like them.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »

Modding.  Whips have an extremely large size, because the weapon data counts the whole weapon as the striking weight, but only the tip as the striking point.  It's like making an iron needle 3 feet long, and then stabbing with the needle-tip with the weight of the entire shaft.  This is clearly broken.  Most modders do the size down, so that the weapon's whole size is only the size of the tip, and you get proper whip-like behavior.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 03:16:32 pm »

Oddly I've never had a problem with whips and scourges being used on my military... but then again, I almost never resort to a melee military as a first or even second defense. My melee warriors tend to be cleanup squads, with marksdwarves and/or weapon traps doing most of the actual killing/incapacitating. As such, I don't usually use danger rooms either; they don't really help the marksdwarves, and the melee troops don't need it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 05:28:10 pm »

I have my own whips and thus I don't care.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 05:31:32 pm »

Whips? Pfff. My dwarfs will be fine. However, after next update, when someone attacks the fort and wields a whip and most of the dwarfs are ghosts, zombies, vampires and werewolfs, then I'll have to think of something.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »

Whips? Pfff. My dwarfs will be fine. However, after next update, when someone attacks the fort and wields a whip and most of the dwarfs are ghosts, zombies, vampires and werewolfs, then I'll have to find something else to utterly destroy, eat, rape, and murder. In that order.
Fixed.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »

Shields are the solution - make sure all of your dwarves are Legendary Shield Users and are holding high quality shields, ideally masterwork Steel, and make sure they're reasonably good at Dodging as well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2