Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal training bug  (Read 1846 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Animal training bug
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:58:00 am »

I just upgraded from the previous version of the game to the most recent one. Now my kennels are not training animals anymore. "Train war animal" -job gets cancelled with message "XX cancels Train War Animal: No Creature". I still have a plenty of untrained animals.

Is this a bug? Or are pet dogs untrainable nowadays? Most of my trainable animals not already trained are taken as pets.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: Animal training bug
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:02:00 am »

Right. Do you have someone with animal training toggled on? And, are the animals set as "unavailable" in the animals screen?
Haven't tried training yet in this version. Too busy making my precious gold coins.   :p
"It's unpossible!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

I think it might be the pets.  It might also be pathing if they can't get to the kennel and the trainer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:31:12 am »

I bought three dog cages from a caravan with the goal to train them.  Couldn't figure out what to do to make this happen.

I have a kennel, have an animal trainer/handler.  Read this thread and figured out to toggle the dogs (tame) to available.  Two were immediately adopted (damn) and then the third is still in the cage yet the trainer says an animal is unavailable to train.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 12:13:30 pm »

Animals cannot be trained if they are in a cage - the trainer will call the animal, which must then walk to the kennel from wherever it is on the map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 12:27:42 pm »

Also, DO NOT toggle them as available. This has nothing to do with training, and all to do with adoption. And, as you have probably found out by yourself that way, adopted pets will not be trained.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:32:25 am »

Animals cannot be trained if they are in a cage - the trainer will call the animal, which must then walk to the kennel from wherever it is on the map.
Stupid question then...how do I open the cage to let the dog out?  I think I tried q(uery) and k(look around) but didn't see an "open cage" option.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:39 am »

Stupid question then...how do I open the cage to let the dog out?  I think I tried q(uery) and k(look around) but didn't see an "open cage" option.

You must build the cage. Quote below is from the http://dwarffortresswiki.net page on cages.

If you buy your first animals via the traders, you may be unsure how to extract them. To remove an animal from a cage, it first needs to be placed via the Build menu (b-j). Once it's placed, use q to examine it, a to assign, and then use Enter to toggle the animal(s) currently inside (animals assigned to the cage will have a green " + " next to them). A dwarf will come along and let the animal out of the cage, after which it can be butchered, moved, et cetera. If all you want to do is tie it up, you can assign the creature using the restraint's menu.