Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Google Plus opened to the public...  (Read 5405 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Google Plus opened to the public...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »

Google Plus also has games or something, including Angry Birds which is like crack to me, so time will tell whether it ends up turning out better than Facebook's apps.

The problem with some apps is that they're either shady, shoddy or both. (shaddy?) I feel like I get nothing for them in return for all my personal info. Like, you know, the "your friend answered a question about you, give us your info, several answers per day or alternately money to see what they said" kind. There's more though. It feels like, for Facebook, I shouldn't have to use extremely strict judgement on which mindless app to install (unlike, say, where not to enter my credit card info). But maybe I'm coming at that wrong.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

I wonder if I should launch a social networking hermitage. It'd be like facebook except you can't add friends and nobody can see your wall.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:15:37 pm »

Google Plus also has games or something, including Angry Birds which is like crack to me, so time will tell whether it ends up turning out better than Facebook's apps.
I...what? WHY DID YOU TELL ME THIS?
*vanishes for the next five years*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:32 pm »

Apps weren't a problem initially. The fact that all apps now want to have a full run at your personal info before you can even see what the app looks like is a problem. Or the fact that many of the apps spam the shit out of your wall (and thus your friends' feeds). "Johnny just collected 103 Gold!" Good for Johnny. Why the fuck do I care, especially if I'm not even playing that game?

"Now want to"? They were pretty much doing that from the beginning, I think, or at least when they started getting popular. And yes, spam is a problem too, and various security problems. There's also the fact that, to some people, maybe Facebook's intended purpose wasn't to play shitty skinner-box videogames, but it sure as hell does make a good marketing environment for them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »

Google+ should advertise as "Facebook with a hint of Twitter and without that annoying scrolling thing in the corner of your version constantly changing that you can't get rid of. Seriously, is this 1995? Am I on a geocities web page? What the fuck were they thinking?". That'd make a lot more people switch over. Usually I find myself defending facebook's GUI updates to my friends since they are usually not negative changes and people just dislike them because "omg changezors!" but this time? This time they done fucked up -.-

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »

My main problem with Google is that they've already got so much information about me that, uh, I'm not happy about it AT ALL.  They want my phone number and my address or something... ?  No, I don't think so!  I'm not telling them who I'm socially networked with, either!  Pfaugh!

I'm not so fond of LinkedIn either, though, so go figure.  Sticking to Facebook for now, because I don't give a crap about the GUI.  All I want is to be able to occasionally link spam or snarl about Saint Augustine without Google updating its ads, "personalized" search engine and all that other shit--"You're female and you talk a lot about 300AD Catholic texts!  Would you like to purchase this chastity belt?"

You don't know me, Google, and I'm glad for it :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:52 pm »

Quote from: G-Flex link=topic=93545.msg2628283#msg2628283 date= 1316621684

Facebook screwed the pooch by turning everything into "pages", allowing people to fill in user-defined languages (no, none of your fake languages are clever), the introduction of applications, and now with the weirdass news feed changes that nobody asked for and that you can't circumvent or even configure. Personally, if Google+ is what Facebook is without all that crap, and FarmVille, and "LIKE THIS IF YOU EVER HAD A GIRL WHO BRUKE UR HEART" then I'm all for it.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

I'm one of those people who actually found a couple Facebook games that they enjoy, so I know that I'm not going to quit Facebook entirely. I might quit using the features that Zuckerburg adds, though, simply because he keeps changing how they look/are used instead of making new ones.

As for Google+, I have a nerd friend on it who's been spamming my email with blog posts from it. So not going over there for fear of perpetual spam, as well as Google possibly thinking that I might actually have an interest in politics. Which I don't.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

My main problem with Google is that they've already got so much information about me that, uh, I'm not happy about it AT ALL.  They want my phone number and my address or something... ?  No, I don't think so!  I'm not telling them who I'm socially networked with, either!  Pfaugh!

I'm not so fond of LinkedIn either, though, so go figure.  Sticking to Facebook for now, because I don't give a crap about the GUI.  All I want is to be able to occasionally link spam or snarl about Saint Augustine without Google updating its ads, "personalized" search engine and all that other shit--"You're female and you talk a lot about 300AD Catholic texts!  Would you like to purchase this chastity belt?"

I am pretty sure you are able to turn off the "personalizing" of advertisements under your google account page somewhere. I could be wrong.

Anyway, if privacy or security were a big deal to me, I agree in some form, I would probably not be using google plus. But this is more of a geek "hey cool, a new thing" thing than something I can see myself using.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:05:52 pm by freeformschooler »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »

And not a single shit was given this day.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »

Facebook takes the same information that Google does, so...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 05:04:36 pm »

Facebook doesn't have access to my Google search information.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »

Hmm, it is google, and that is a plus and a minus. On the plus side, it will be awesome, because google really does know their shit, they just get it. On the minus, handing over personal information to google has never worked well in the past.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:19 pm »

I dislike social network sites and feel the need to share this with people I don't know.

Hmm, it is google, and that is a plus and a minus. On the plus side, it will be awesome, because google really does know their shit, they just get it. On the minus, handing over personal information to google has never worked well in the past.

My main concern here.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 09:58:04 pm »

You think Facebook cares about your privacy? Google might misstep about it, but Facebook (and more specifically Mark Zuckerberg) explicitly doesn't care. Mark Zuckerberg is the kind of guy who believes in open sharing of information with everyone, and is pretty much willing to enforce that when they can get away with it. And personalized searches, ads, etc. are hardly limited to either Google or Facebook.

And really, the new changes are more problematic than just the GUI. Well, okay, I guess it's mostly the GUI, but in ways that affect function. All of a sudden my friends have defaulted to "most updates", so I'm not sure which Facebook is filtering out, and I can't view things chronologically anymore so I have no idea what Facebook is filtering there either, or in what order.

Has handing over personal information to Facebook worked out well? First off, don't you remember that big debacle with applications datamining their users, not to mention the fact that their cross-site interface is so insecure that people would wind up "liking" things they've never heard of, sharing things from their profile, etc, just by visiting other websites? Google has dropped the ball before, but Facebook doesn't even feel like playing the same sport.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4