Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Google Plus opened to the public...  (Read 5412 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Google Plus opened to the public...
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:47:56 am »

...and many worldwide fail to care.

No really!

Additionally, it's not the sort of privacy nightmare Facebook has been in varying amounts. I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

(Presumably, Toady has a google plus, but I cannot tell if it's really him!)

Discuss! Will you guys be using it? If you're not social network type people you don't have to say how much you dislike social networks.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:23:24 pm by freeformschooler »

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: Google Plus opened to the public...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:46 am »

Why does the link lead to this Iphone 5 thing?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:56 am »

Wha-

Oh dang. I clicked on a news article claiming to be about google plus going public. Why would it redirect to that? Stupid shoddy news sites.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:00:42 am »

I fail to care also. Googles only for searching. not socializing.

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

I've had a beta account for some time but haven't really done much with it. With Facebook's recent (i.e. today) feed change, I'm planning to correct that situation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:17:12 am »

Yeah, I also dislike Facebook's feed changes. They tried to push that out a bit too quickly.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 10:30:22 am »

Never used anything like this other then the time I signed up for myspace and never logged on.

Feel free to add me if you want.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:46 am »

I'm not a big social media person, but I use it to keep up with former classmates who are scattered here and yon, and even with local friends. Once you have kids, you don't see much of your friends anymore.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:11:57 am »

I'm happy with Facebook. I'll care when I see a reason to actually want a Google+. Google has a reputation for taking something (maps, email, etc) and doing it right the first time, but I don't actually see any advantage over what Facebook is doing. Facebook was a significant improvement over Friendster, Myspace, etc, what does Google+ bring?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 11:14:44 am »

I'm happy with Facebook. I'll care when I see a reason to actually want a Google+. Google has a reputation for taking something (maps, email, etc) and doing it right the first time, but I don't actually see any advantage over what Facebook is doing. Facebook was a significant improvement over Friendster, Myspace, etc, what does Google+ bring?
Not being full of weird security oddities is what it brings, according to people who've told me about it.

Google is only for email and searching as far as I'm concerned, though. Facebook is for pointing out links to people.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 11:53:53 am »

Social Networking is for the type of people who do social networking.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:41 am »

I'd move to google plus fully if it wasn't because most of my friends aren't doing it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:11 pm »

Google+ should advertise as "Facebook with a hint of Twitter and without that annoying scrolling thing in the corner of your version constantly changing that you can't get rid of. Seriously, is this 1995? Am I on a geocities web page? What the fuck were they thinking?". That'd make a lot more people switch over. Usually I find myself defending facebook's GUI updates to my friends since they are usually not negative changes and people just dislike them because "omg changezors!" but this time? This time they done fucked up -.-
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:03:13 pm by MorleyDev »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »

Yeah, I also dislike Facebook's feed changes. They tried to push that out a bit too quickly.

I don't think anybody likes it. Apparently the option to just have all your friends' updates in one big list arranged chronologically was too complicated or something, so now we're no longer even given the option. Apparently it's more user-friendly to present a jumble of whatever facebook's magic algorithms think is important, in an order also determined by a magic algorithm.

Google is only for email and searching as far as I'm concerned, though.

Is there any reasoning behind this at all? If Smith & Wesson decided to start selling butter, and it turned out to be the best damn butter on Earth at a good price, would you not buy it because "they're only about guns as far as I'm concerned"?

Facebook screwed the pooch by turning everything into "pages", allowing people to fill in user-defined languages (no, none of your fake languages are clever), the introduction of applications, and now with the weirdass news feed changes that nobody asked for and that you can't circumvent or even configure. Personally, if Google+ is what Facebook is without all that crap, and FarmVille, and "LIKE THIS IF YOU EVER HAD A GIRL WHO BRUKE UR HEART" then I'm all for it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 12:17:36 pm »

Google is only for email and searching as far as I'm concerned, though.

Is there any reasoning behind this at all? If Smith & Wesson decided to start selling butter, and it turned out to be the best damn butter on Earth at a good price, would you not buy it because "they're only about guns as far as I'm concerned"?

"I Can't Believe It's Not Bullets"?  :P

Facebook screwed the pooch by turning everything into "pages", allowing people to fill in user-defined languages (no, none of your fake languages are clever), the introduction of applications, and now with the weirdass news feed changes that nobody asked for and that you can't circumvent or even configure. Personally, if Google+ is what Facebook is without all that crap, and FarmVille, and "LIKE THIS IF YOU EVER HAD A GIRL WHO BRUKE UR HEART" then I'm all for it.

Apps weren't a problem initially. The fact that all apps now want to have a full run at your personal info before you can even see what the app looks like is a problem. Or the fact that many of the apps spam the shit out of your wall (and thus your friends' feeds). "Johnny just collected 103 Gold!" Good for Johnny. Why the fuck do I care, especially if I'm not even playing that game?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4