Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In DF, Hippos run away from YOU!  (Read 2878 times)

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
In DF, Hippos run away from YOU!
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:03:38 am »

Well, I embarked on a Swamp biome. When the game began I saw that my caravan had happily parked in the middle of 10 hippos. However, when I un-paused the game the hippos simply...scuttled away from the dwarves in deathly fear. Lol. Aren't hippos supposed to be cold-blooded savage murderers in real life that kill more humans than sharks or lions etc etc?

In my opinion DF could do with wildlife that offer a tad more threat. I'm a very new player, DF2010 is the first Dwarf Fortress that I've played, but I've heard about the bloody reign of elephants and hippos in the past versions...which sounds just right for me. It doesn't seem fair that the most dangerous form of wildlife are enraged badgers.

Hmmm. Speaking of enraged badgers, perhaps I should try adding PRONE_TO_RAGE elephants and bear. Prepare for some fun!

PS. Is there any mod that makes the wildlife more powerful/aggressive/etc? If there aren't any, perhaps I should go away and make some :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:05:53 am by The Butterfly »

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: In DF, Hippos run away from YOU!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:41 am »

Funny, I've heard of hippos being quite dangerous even in this version that lacks demon-carp and rampaging murderous elephants.

Though I wouldn't mind modding elephants to be a bit more hardcore for the "Koganusan experience", they need to not starve themselves first...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:45 am »

Funny, I've heard of hippos being quite dangerous even in this version that lacks demon-carp and rampaging murderous elephants.

Though I wouldn't mind modding elephants to be a bit more hardcore for the "Koganusan experience", they need to not starve themselves first...
My hunter/marksdwarves seem to deal with hippos with much ease. It may be the masterwork wood bolts that are behaving like iron ones.....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:29:54 am »

Badgers are the real worry, it's the [PRONE_TO_RAGE] that makes them suddenly run towards dwarves.  Apply to any creature to obtain dangerous animals.  Apply to giant creatures for more danger.  Giant enraged hippos, anyone?

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:11 am »

I love badgers! MY nra dwarves shoot them by the hundred.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:42:45 am »

From my experiences, hippos are dangerous only when directly provoked. In usual, they are happy to keep away from my dwarves and my dwarves from them. :D

Badgers are the real worry, it's the [PRONE_TO_RAGE] that makes them suddenly run towards dwarves.  Apply to any creature to obtain dangerous animals.  Apply to giant creatures for more danger.  Giant enraged hippos, anyone?

Which is actually lore-true (aside from being much fun), quoting Wikipedia

Hippopotamuses are by nature very aggressive animals, especially when young calves are present. [....] Hippos are very aggressive towards humans, whom they commonly attack whether in boats or on land with no apparent provocation. They are widely considered to be one of the most dangerous large animals in Africa.

For other animals that also suits [PRONE_TO_RAGE], there are probably elephants, bears and warthogs. Yay for rampaging elephants

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:54:51 am »

Why not make every single animal prone to rage?

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:05:35 am »

Why not make every single animal prone to rage?

Dunno. I was just considering the realism in wild animals "raging". If you stood in a close proximity to a wild hippo in real life, the chances are it will disembowel you. If you chased around a wild peafowl, it will probably run away rather than go berserk for feeling threatened and attack you.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:18:45 am »

It depends on what wildlife you mean... Dealing with giant badgers is plenty difficult.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 01:20:56 am »

Okidoki if anymore cares, I've embarked on a new map with bunch of elephants.

First I set [PRONE_TO_RAGE:1] and herded my dwarves close to the elephants (no aggressive actions, just close). The elephants didn't get enrage and instead just ran away as usual; so I set my dwarves to military mode and set them to attack the elephants. Even then only one of the elephants went raging, and that for only 1 second. Elephants acted pretty much the same as they would without [PRONE_TO_RAGE]

So I set [PRONE_TO_RAGE:5] and again herded my dwarves close to the elephants,

SUCCESS

Some of the elephants went rampaging just because some dwarves came within 3 tiles of them and struck down some dwarves and dogs. Though, even with raging set to 5, I don't think that elephants get enraged as easily or as long as badgers do; and badgers only have [PRONE_TO_RAGE:1] Perhaps the frequency and duration of rage depends on the creature's body size or something? Hmmm.

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:48:18 am »

On a related note isn't hippo hide supposed to be so thick and heavy in real life that it is bullet proof. Is it possible to mod this in? Is it also possible for these qualities to be reflected in leather or do all tanned hides have the same properties regardless of what you put in?

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:31 am »

Skin. Template. Amarid compounds.

The Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Hyperprotofuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:45:28 pm »

Time for !!SCIENCE!!

XD Get ready for enraged Giant Hippos!

On further testing I'm thinking that the frequency of raging depends on the speed of a creature's movement. Badgers run all across the field in completely chaotic way and they are pretty fast. Thus, they have a higher possibility of coming in "close proximity" with the dwarves, thus they enrage more often.

Mmmmm. I should really try to make a mod out of this.  8)

It depends on what wildlife you mean... Dealing with giant badgers is plenty difficult.

That's the funny part, really; that dwarves come across elephants and grizzly bears and damned hippos all the time, yet the creature that threatens the dwarves' existence the most should be some giant badgers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:47:38 pm by The Butterfly »

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »

Make all animals get enraged.
Pages: [1] 2 3