Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New culture suggestion (also a mod concept.)  (Read 5015 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: New culture suggestion (also a mod concept.)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 11:46:19 am »

Get a little prototype setup on adventuremode..... Get quests via killing people. I kinda like it. You kill a goblin, then you think your a goblin..... and join them on a siege.  8)
I think the quests from killing them is a cool idea, but you shouldn't suddenly start thinking your a goblin from one's memories. Maybe something like 10 and then you're convinced you're one of their kind, allowing you to communicate with them, trade, possibly even rise to position of ruler among them.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:31:43 pm »

It would also be interesting if you would actually need to find the soul doll hideout in order to learn how to repair yourself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 04:22:15 pm »

or get some other doll to do it.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 06:35:41 pm »

Yeah, but encountering a doll that COULD repair you could teach you. I'm thinking there should only be a single fort of the dolls at a time on a planet just to make their adventure mode interesting.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 11:56:31 pm »

8)

Adela Amuemu, "Adela Creaturebars"

Elf, <=========3, Demigod(480p)

|
      |
      |
  |||||||
      |
      |
      |

I am not implying to having ever loved an Elf, just thought I would leave this here.

P.S. Do not miss this.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:07:09 am by Agorp Stronden »

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »

DEFIBRILLATION

anyway, the soul doll concept you put forth here makes my jump up from my seat. I've seen many similar concepts put forth, but all gave the machines quality levels rather than something more component based. Attributes having origin in components (such as leather (or elf-rubber), metal, gem, and possibly bone) makes sense, and adds a whole degree of customization to it. Its http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5370.msg69664#msg69664 but put to something more useful. 

I like the innocent doll concept, but I think that degrees of evilness or savagery might come well from the materials put into it. there would be the attributes of strength (leather), metal/wood/stone (material strength), gem (intelligence), but also an element of soul (bone or body part). That last element would remain dormant until the doll went under some sort of stress (such as killing many sentients or living many years), at which point it would go "crazy" and inherit the personality traits and ethics of whatever creature its soul element came from. If that was a deer part, it would go grazing and eventually return as a beast tamer and refuse to work leather. if a forgotten beast it would run to the caves and eventually return as a powerful warrior, or else go beserk. if a dwarf it would claim a forge and create an artifact, and henceforth be capable of trances. if an elf it would a master the bow, a master Bowyer and fletcher and refuse to cut wood. etc etc. all of the "crazy" machines would gain the can-learn tag.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:14 am »

Hunting changes: Elves will naturally prefer to kill predators, and scorn killing herbivores.

I don't believe there is a point to this. If predators did not keep herbivores' numbers in check, the grass eaters would over consume and destroy plant ecosystems. Elves have no bias for certain aspects of nature, they are ecofascists. Sounds much better than hippie.

I kinda want them to be the perfect karma stomped on race.

What do you mean exactly?
I cant think of the dolls as... Evil. If that makes sense. But since they are not able to communicate they cant hold relations with other creatures and get raided/hunted down on the pretext of being animals/unnatural, and I want what they have type things. I think I talked about that in the description.
They're not evil, just different.
I like the idea of the Soul Dolls, or at least some somewhat sinister artificial race, but am not sure about all the elvish stuff.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 08:38:40 am »

I am entertained by the iea of having the dolls but they seem too much of a blank slate. Also, making them eat coal seems A) WAAAY to steampunkish at the moment and B) a bit too harsh if you are embarking in a tundra/desert with no coal/trees.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:09 am »

Maybe they could use biofuel or ethanol? (Certain types of normal food, alcohol)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 09:00:41 am »

OR run on solar power. Or even better, derrive energy from the electromagnetic field generated by their atoms spinnig. Or better yet, turn the potential gravitational force of a small orb spinning in their head into real energy!(All of the above stated are potentially possible)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 09:09:04 am »

Or, more likely than any of those...they run on magic.
Sig

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:11 am »

Nah, that would require a source like a wizard/necromancer. And we wouldnt want THAT.  :o

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:53 am »

Bronze colossi don't...yet.
Even if it's planned for BCs to have a wizard/necromancer/artificer/etc origin, doesn't mean new races can't be added that may also have those origins.
Sig

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »

OR run on solar power. Or even better, derrive energy from the electromagnetic field generated by their atoms spinnig. Or better yet, turn the potential gravitational force of a small orb spinning in their head into real energy!(All of the above stated are potentially possible)
they run on suspension of disbelief.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 01:44:12 pm »

they run on suspension of disbelief.
:o
Pages: 1 [2] 3