Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 70+ dwarves and no mayor yet.  (Read 2570 times)

Shumei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
70+ dwarves and no mayor yet.
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »

So I have had loads of migrants come in, and I am desperately trying to figure out the military thing before I get invaded.  But my biggest question is, why haven't I got a mayor yet?  I hit 50 dwarves with a previous migration wave.

On a side note, my blacksmith made a statue of himself.  It seems he was pretty thrilled by the artifact he created.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
Re: 70+ dwarves and no mayor yet.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

The wiki says that your expedition leader automatically becomes the mayor when you reach fifty dwarves, but in my experience, it's wrong. At some point after you reach fifty dwarves, your dwarves will decide to hold an election, and you'll get a mayor, until then, you still have an expedition leader instead.

That said, I believe I've heard that there are/were some bugs that can prevent you from ever getting a mayor if you lose your expedition leader before the dwarves decide to hold an election. Not sure if those are still active bugs or not. Some of them cause your (n)obles screen to be blank, without any posts listed at all, or ability to appoint them.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:31:27 pm »

Go to your expedition leader in the (n)obles menu and (r)eplace him with "Leave Vacant." This will force an immediate election and give you a mayor.

Shumei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »

Is it a problem if I never get a mayor or other nobles? I hear they can be a major pain.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

I believe most nobles are borked in this version. Which sucks because nobles are fun to kill and have.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

The Mayor is elected on the ~15th of Hematite.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 05:36:04 am »

That's once you reach 60 dorfs, by the way.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 06:17:36 am »

That's once you reach 60 dorfs, by the way.

Wiki Update!  :D

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:45 am »

Is it a problem if I never get a mayor or other nobles? I hear they can be a major pain.

Not having a manager, broker, bookkeeper of chief medical dwarf counts as a problem in my book.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:24 am »

you can appoint all of those from expedition leader, and none of the dwarves involved in that ever issue mandates.

I don;t know what the issue here is, I've always had the expedition leader autopromote just fine.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 11:38:17 pm »

The wiki says that your expedition leader automatically becomes the mayor when you reach fifty dwarves, but in my experience, it's wrong.
I concur. I kept "rerolling" my starting dwarves until I got a really awesome dude with high analytics, social, focus, etc., (even high strength and kinesthetics so he can become a Talented Kegstander before too long), and not a negative attribute to speak of.

Then I hit 84 dwarves and whammo, I discover that the mayor is some loser I've barely even heard of, with lousy empathy, memory, and linguistic skills . . . and he wants floodgates.

Sigh. Restart on the same map, remind myself to give the Expedition Leader more free time so he makes more friends.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 11:46:27 pm »

You can elect whatever mayor you want, just keep an eye on the nobles screen. Sometimes a replacement is announced in the manner of '[former mayor], [profession's], mandate has ended', but sometimes a mayor doesn't have any mandates active and you don't see any announcement.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 07:53:01 am »

Just follow standard procedure for nobles you dislike, and dispose of the loser mayors until the fella you want is elected.
He took joy in slaughter lately.