Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tree Farming  (Read 5675 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Farming
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 01:42:52 am »

Wow, one of the simpleset things in DF has been described (or possibly over-engineered) in a pretty complex way.

My way of describing what to do. In two different flavours depending on conditions.

Way 1: You've got a soil layer.
Step 1: designate/dig out a bloody huge area of the soil layer. Bigger is better (it trains miners quickly).
Step 2.: breach cavern layer one.
Step 3: wait. Trees will grow by themselves. If they don't then there's no trees in cavern layer one. Continue breaching cavern layers until trees grow in the soil layer.

Way 2. You don't have a soil layer.
Step 1: dig out a bloody huge area of any layer (preferably near a water source).
Step 2a: find a finite fresh water source and flood the area you dug with that.
Step 2b: if you don't have a finite fresh water source (only an aquifer/river) then set up a floodgate and a lever before you breach the water source. Otherwise you'll flood your fort. Flood the dug out area (not your entire fort), then turn off the water with lever.
Step 3: wait for water to drain.
Step 4: breach cavern layer 1.
Step 5: wait. Trees will grow by themselves. Breach more cavern layers if they don't.

There are other ways. They're just stupid though. Or complicated. Or dangerous. Or unnecessary. So really, they're all a lot more dwarven than this way. Oh well.
It's a game. Have fun.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 07:08:50 am »

Way x.5: channel down from the surface to your plantation in a few places and cover it again with built floors. Surface vegetation will grow on tiles that were at any point exposed to sunlight, thus creating a way of safely satisfying mandates requiring surface trees, or gathering of that elusive gather-only valuable plant.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 07:51:57 am »

Wow, one of the simpleset things in DF has been described (or possibly over-engineered) in a pretty complex way.
Until the caverns went in, underground tree farming was a very difficult and annoying process.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 01:41:16 pm »

how to do it the dwarf way!!!

step 1
break in cave.

step 2
fill cave with water

step 3
build huge wall

step 4
wait

TIP
burn time by killing the native inhabitants of the cave

step 5
chop chop!!!
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 08:44:02 am »

I've taken, after the latest treevasion, to first digging out my soil rooms, then flooring them so as to provide a tree free surface. Yes, it takes time, but the little monsters haven't got anything else to do.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »

Yeah, good point on the underground tree farm for above ground trees. You don't ever have to breach the caverns that way, saving yourself the possibilty of underground invasion. After the 3rd or so migration wave, you'll be actively looking for things for dwarves to do anyway, so flooring over a 40x40 area of soil isn't really time consuming anyway.

Do above ground bushes (strawberries, etc) grow in the area as well?
It's a game. Have fun.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 04:40:01 pm »

they grow in any area that has seen sunlight
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]