Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ad-Infinitum  (Read 3124 times)

BrodieBrodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ad-Infinitum
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:22 am »

hello, I am coding a free game: ad-infinitum Link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ad-infinitum/ in widows, programming in C and using the libraries of directX.
It has been a while since i have returned to the project and would like to regenerate some interest in the hope of attracting help, support, advice and general interest. The project is currently a work in progress. Yours ever, BB
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:57:29 am by BrodieBrodie »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Ad-Infinitum
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Posting to watch, it's already downloadable? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BrodieBrodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:21 am »

yes, downloadable at link

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:31 am »

Downloaded it, there a lot of planets, I'm not sure what to do with them.  Also, when I move my mouse around to view the other planets, it goes REALLY fast. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

BrodieBrodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:39 am »

yes, universe is intended to be realtime so speed is important. click on worlds etc, the only units now are basic sprites on a few structures, they can only move but alredy try to find "best way" i.e. avoid mountains or prefer walking along roads, a few bugs (they can walk on water) but game is stable. Note that the univers is alway diferent and generated at start. You can change number of worlds in the input file located in the debug folder. e.g change the line
Num_Star: 75
to:
Num_Star: 250
and save
250 is fine and just takes a little longer to generate
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:40:06 am by BrodieBrodie »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

Heh, this looks pretty cool so far. Looking forward to seeing where you take it in the future.
*Hugs*

BrodieBrodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:12 pm »

thanx,
added new file: AdInfinitum_1_9_9_1_1.zip
this version has more units to play with, basic military sprites starting in all towns. like the noble units, they just move for now (and path find), but they are in greater number and according, easier to find and test. Speed of units can be ajusted in the input file of the debug folder, the line:
Unit_Speed: 30
cand be changed, the greater the number the slower the unit, e.g:
Unit_Speed: 15
save and run should show faster movement

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »

Awwwhh man....I tried contacting you a long, long time ago through email and the old EFS forums and offered to help...no response

With no updates for so many months I figured the project was forever dead and went on to make my own EFS-like game.

Think of the glory that could have been!  :(

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 08:55:13 pm »

How do you play it? So far I've just been moving around army dudes, I can't figure out what else there is to do.
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 10:19:51 pm »

I'm not evens sure which planets to check and where to find the sprites. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:09 am »

How do you play it? So far I've just been moving around army dudes, I can't figure out what else there is to do.
He's coding a free game, he didn't say that he coded all he wanted yet. It's a WIP.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:23 am »

And a rather impressive WIP at that.

BrodieBrodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:19 am »

Yes very much a work in progress, sorry about not making that clear, added WIP at top post.

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry Lap, but cant recall you trying to contact. I have returned some emails to some who were interested in the project but never heard back, perhaps a case of mail ending in the spam basket. I did see your postings at the EFS forum, and have been following your project with some interest. Think in retrospect that you should have contacted the project directly by posting on the "Clone started" page rather than starting your own page, I sort of gathered you wanted to do your own project. See from your side that you have reached the same problem as I, where can you find a sprite artists when you need one?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:00:18 pm »

I sort of gathered you wanted to do your own project.

I'm far more of a collaboration person. I'd much prefer one project to three, if only because so few projects even see the light of day. There here was a stretch from 2008-2010 where no one could get a hold of you and the "Clone started" also went without updates, and early 2010 was when i started the project.

See from your side that you have reached the same problem as I, where can you find a sprite artists when you need one?

I wouldn't worry about a sprite artist at the moment. You already have a nice looking prototype working that is nice enough to attract considerable interest. There is still a massive amount of game mechanics left for you to code and most will not require any graphics at all. Use placeholder art for everything and get a the game functioning. Focusing too much on art definitely delayed my production longer than necessary. When the game is better functioning it's much easier to attract artists. Waiting too much for art is just an excuse for us to be lazy ;).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:33:26 am by Lap »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »

I remember that this game originally started as an EFS remake.  It seems that you are taking it in different direction though, is that the case?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3