Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35784 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

Dear Urist McSettlers,

Your group, "The Guild of Artifice", is hereby permitted to embark out from the great Dwarf-Hold of The Awe-Inspiring Wall into our world, The Mythical Dimension, onto the continent called "The Continent of Trances", into  the region of "The Mire of Dimensions", settling a fortress at the location (hereby entered into our records as the "Fortress Name") of "Angelhold, the Steel-Fortress of War".  Divinations have proven this location to have ample soil, plentiful metal deposits, flux stone deposits, a river, and no aquifer; thus, this location is considered suitable for fortress building.

You are allowed to obtain the assistance of non-dwarves in your settlement, provided:
-- They swear an oath of fealty to The Awe-Inspiring Wall.
-- They swear an oath to be productive members of your settlement.
-- They swear an oath follow all Dwarven laws.

You are allowed to bring two (2) Copper Picks from our armoury.
You are allowed to bring two (2) Copper Battle Axes from our armoury.
You are allowed to bring one (1) Iron Anvil from our armoury.
-- Your request for seven (7) Steel Short Swords is DENIED.
-- Your request for seven (7) Iron Spears is DENIED.
-- Your request for seven (7) Copper War Hammers is DENIED.
---- Further requests for military equipment will result in flogging
-- Your request for one (1) "Ironhate the Slaughter of Forests" is DENIED.
-- Your request for one (1) "Bloodmurder the Wicked Tree of Hell" is DENIED.
-- Your request for one (1) "Dunesore the Bloody Bronze-Hand of Ancients" is DENIED.
---- Further requests for artifacts will result in flogging, and then beating.

You are allowed to bring twenty (20) Plump Helmet Spawn from our storehouse.
You are allowed to bring twenty-two (22) Plump Helmets from our storehouse.
You are allowed to bring three (3) units of Cheese from our storehouse.
-- You may obtain one (1) kind of cheese.  No more.
-- Requests which are blatant attempts to obtain more barrels will result in flogging.
You are allowed to bring twenty (30) units of animal meat from our storehouse.
-- You may obtain six (6) different kinds of meat.  No more.
-- Requests which are blatant attempts to obtain more barrels will result in flogging.
You are allowed to bring fifteen (15) units of Dwarven Ale
You are allowed to bring fifteen (15) units of Dwarven Beer
You are allowed to bring fifteen (15) units of Dwarven Rum
You are allowed to bring fifteen (15) units of Dwarven Wine
-- Appropriate containers for drinks and foodstuffs will be dispensed at the storehouse.

You are allowed to bring one (1) male Dog from our animal pens.
You are allowed to bring one (1) female Dog from our animal pens.
You are allowed to bring two (2) female Kittens from our animal pens.
-- Your request for one (1) male and one (1) female Kitten is DENIED.
---- The dangers of overpopulation are too great to risk. 
---- Two (2) females are provided instead.
You are allowed to bring one (1) male Alpaca from our animal pens.
You are allowed to bring one (1) female Alpaca from our animal pens.
-- Your request for three (3) War Giant Badgers is DENIED.
-- Your request for three (3) War Tigers is DENIED.
-- Your request for three (3) War Wolves is DENIED.
---- Further requests for trained animals will result in flogging, and then decapitation.

Signed,
-=≡ Overseer Melissia of The Awe-Inspiring Wall, Age of Myth 1051 ≡=--
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:27:28 pm by Melissia »
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2011, 01:57:31 pm »

Dear Urist McSettlers,

I am lead to understand that your group, "The Guild of Artifice", have had some trouble with your start-up.  It appears that you somehow ran your wagon half-way into the river.  That none of your group or its animals died is a mercy of Armok.  He will not be so forgiving in the future.  Therefor, you should strive to do better and achieve excellence in future endeavors. 

Your comments about the incredibly high [12 z levels) waterfall intrigue us.  We wish to learn more at a future date, especially if the cliffside's veins of magnetite are as large as you claim they are.  Please keep us updated in your usual timely manner.

Signed,
-=≡ Overseer Melissia of The Awe-Inspiring Wall, Age of Myth 1051 ≡=--

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »

OH MY GOD! An actual female DF player! I must be dreaming! This is new. Like, really new. Also, if you have find some candy, dont trust the community if they tell you to be careful. There is only a small chance that they will have clowns.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:11 pm »

What RAW should I look at to see what civilizations have what to trade, and what metals to use as materials?

For example, I'm not sure if Kobolds have any metals, so if not, I was going to give them copper, tin, brass, bronze, silver, gold, etc-- basically, anything less than iron.  Similar to how Dwarves tend to have more steel items, while humans have more iron or lesser items, and elves have only wooden ones.
In .40 d they used exclusively copper/ In the current game they are gliched to not have any default metals, so they instead use steel (so its best to just give them access to copper, and maybe tin,) and starve within the first 3 years of history. They need [NO_FOOD] and [NO_DRINK] to possibly survive very far.
OH MY GOD! An actual female DF player! I must be dreaming! This is new. Like, really new. Also, if you have find some candy, dont trust the community if they tell you to be careful. There is only a small chance that they will have clowns.
Dude. Chill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »

What RAW should I look at to see what civilizations have what to trade, and what metals to use as materials?

For example, I'm not sure if Kobolds have any metals, so if not, I was going to give them copper, tin, brass, bronze, silver, gold, etc-- basically, anything less than iron.  Similar to how Dwarves tend to have more steel items, while humans have more iron or lesser items, and elves have only wooden ones.

As for no_eat or no_drink... the mod removed their carnivore-only status.
In .40 d they used exclusively copper/ In the current game they are gliched to not have any default metals, so they instead use steel (so its best to just give them access to copper, and maybe tin,) and starve within the first 3 years of history. They need [NO_FOOD] and [NO_DRINK] to possibly survive very far.
I (hope I) gave them access to  copper, brass, bronze, electrum, billon, pewter, nickel, tin, silver, gold, etc-- basically non-steel metals.

But I'm not sure if I did it right or put it in the right place.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2011, 02:18:19 pm »

As for no_eat or no_drink... the mod removed their carnivore-only status.
I (hope I) gave them access to  copper, brass, bronze, electrum, billon, pewter, nickel, tin, silver, gold, etc-- basically non-steel metals.

But I'm not sure if I did it right or put it in the right place.
I would say that they should get iron or the precious metals.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »

Dude. Chill.
ok.

@ Melissa: They just need [NO_FOOD] and [NO_DRINK] and nothing else. There is a bug where they will create weapons and junk from jewels but you could consider it a feature because some jewels have a greater strength and density than most metals.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »

For Orosmlo...

My mayor mandated a tin item.  I made a statue and put it in her room, and she's just gonna have to deal with it if she likes tin so much. 

If my mayor makes any truly annoying mandates, I'm so going to send her off to meet some clowns.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2011, 05:25:09 pm »

For Orosmlo...

My mayor mandated a tin item.  I made a statue and put it in her room, and she's just gonna have to deal with it if she likes tin so much. 

If my mayor makes any truly annoying mandates, I'm so going to send her off to meet some clowns.
Its easy to accidentally satisfy mandates sometimes...... Especially If you have 1/10th of your bronze production use tin instead of casserite!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2011, 08:04:37 am »

Amusingly, the elves don't seem that pissed off that I repeatedly cut down all trees on the map.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:11 am »

Amusingly, the elves don't seem that pissed off that I repeatedly cut down all trees on the map.

As long as you added in the edits from the first post in this thread (Different from the Human Diplomat, as well as the "Wood Cartel Rep," which is a 'made up' position that just copies the dialogue from the Human Diplomat position) to your raws before worldgen, they should show up eventually (EDIT: and totally berate you) once you advance to a barony.   In my fort that took around 3 years or so. 

Also, I'm not sure whether or not they consider cavern wood as 'trees,' seeing at they're mushrooms and all...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:17:19 am by Xen0n »

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2011, 10:08:58 am »

OH MY GOD! An actual female DF player! I must be dreaming! This is new. Like, really new.

No, it's not.  Like, really not. 
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:12 am »

Let's just ignore that outburst of his... don't need to keep bringing it up.  I'd rather talk about magma.  And I will after class.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2011, 01:45:59 pm »

I'm not allowed to export gauntlets apparently.

I don't have any to export.  Any extras I melted down.  Heh. 

Anyway, pictures of the route I'm going to take to get magma up to near my main workshops soon to follow.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »

Okay, here's the image, and an explanation:

Following the white arrows:

First few rooms are dug out.  However, then I found out taht the third cavern was deeper than I thought it was, and struck damp stone.  Therefor I will have to make one of my reservoirs go further in than it otherwise would, to move the pump stack.  This segment of pumps will therefor be Pump Stack A, and have already begun construction (as you can see) though nothing is powered yet.  Initial magma comes through the orthoclase (gold colored) grate on the top left.  I am using the 1x3 design (obviously), and because my miners kept getting caught, I simply decided to ramp down from above where the opening would be anyway, hopefully that won't cause any problems.

Then after that, I continue in that open area-- and there's my opening into the third level of caves (the 1x2 bridge is lowered so I can grab some nethercap).  Thankfully that same closer-to-the stairs location will also get me past the second cavern, shown after the entry to the third (that's not my entrance obviously).    But then I hit another snag on the first cavern, and have to move the stack north.  From cavern three to one, therefor, is Pump Stack B. 

And from there to a few levels below the surface will be Pump Stack C.  All of this will have 1x2 bridges made of magma-proof material at each of the stairwell before I start the first pump.  If it leaks, I will pull the lever (the dwarf pump operator exiting would be a nice bonus, but not necessary), and all of them will close, shutting off the pump stack entirely.

ALL of my pumps are made of iron in their entirety.  Beleive me, I have more than enough from the utterly massive magnetite veins.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36