Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35681 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:03 pm »

Against a cave dragon?   Iron won't save you this time!  *evil laugh*

Properly trained dwarves will.  What are their skills at?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:58 pm »

Let's see.

Militia Commander:  Novice Hammerdwarf, Dabbling Shield and Armor User, Competent Fighter, Dabbling Wrestler/Biter/Striker/Kicker, Adequate Dodger.

This is about normal for my hammerdwarves.

Militia Captain 1:  Adequate Marksdwarf and Archer, Dabbling Wrestler and Striker, Adequate Dodger

This is about normal for my marksdwarves.  They increased their skill MUCH faster.

Militia Captain 2:  Novice Armor User, Novice Dodger. 

My axedwarves haven't recieved their shipment of axes yet, so they've been practicing armor use and dodging apparently.

ALL of them are scheduled for constant training, and all three have excellently equipped barracks with their own food stockpiles, beds, targets, containers, etc.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:51 pm »

Well...  um...  expect casualties.  Possibly heavy if you get one of the nastier creatures or a strong forgotten beast.  If you get an exceptionally dangerous forgotten beast, you'll probably get wiped out.

I usually train my squads up to an average of Expert before I send them off to fight in the caverns / against goblins, and if you find the surprise below the third cavern layer (other than the magma sea which may be quite deep) you should NOT attempt to exploit it without the majority of your fighters legendary or you WILL all die horribly.  When you hit what I'm talking about, you'll know. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »

I have a good idea on what the Happy Fun Spot is. 

At any rate, I already planned on having my dwarves train for a while while I work on mining out more magnetite and gems for trade.  I was just gonna wait for competent, but if you recommend expert, then I guess I can wait a bit longer.  This place is entirely self-sufficient. 

It'll give me time to build my entryway fortress, a multi-level tower with three bridge entryways linked to one switch, which turn into walls... the second floor at least (if not the third) will have fortifications every other block or so and an ammunition storage in the middle, and a small food storage and a bed and container will be on the first floor so my marksdwarves don't have to leave too much during long sieges.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:45 pm »

I have a good idea on what the Happy Fun Spot is. 

At any rate, I already planned on having my dwarves train for a while while I work on mining out more magnetite and gems for trade.  I was just gonna wait for competent, but if you recommend expert, then I guess I can wait a bit longer.  This place is entirely self-sufficient. 

It'll give me time to build my entryway fortress, a multi-level tower with three bridge entryways linked to one switch, which turn into walls... the second floor at least (if not the third) will have fortifications every other block or so and an ammunition storage in the middle, and a small food storage and a bed and container will be on the first floor so my marksdwarves don't have to leave too much during long sieges.
Have them stand in the center of a room full of 1 training spear traps turning screw pumps. Brings them stats/casualty-counts up like a charm. It also helps if they are legendary miners and hunters.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 09:38:02 pm »

While I admit to using the Dihydrogen Monoxide Reactor (tm), somehow I feel that danger rooms are a bit a bit pushing it.

I might build one later though.  For now, my efforts are focused on the outdoor fort.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 09:39:35 pm »

Danger rooms are fairly overpowered.

On the other hand, I do recommend training some legendary miners then giving them ☼Steel Pick☼s. Picks are surprisingly effective weapons. (Be sure to train them to a rank in some other weapons so they won't count as recruits.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »

While I admit to using the Dihydrogen Monoxide Reactor (tm), somehow I feel that danger rooms are a bit a bit pushing it.

I might build one later though.  For now, my efforts are focused on the outdoor fort.

I don't like danger rooms, but they're essential to get melee fighters to legendary in a timely fashion.  And I don't even use the Dihydrogen Monoxide Reactor when I can avoid it.  :P

On the other hand, I do recommend training some legendary miners then giving them ☼Steel Pick☼s. Picks are surprisingly effective weapons. (Be sure to train them to a rank in some other weapons so they won't count as recruits.)

This too, in a pinch miners make excellent soldiers, however they will not have any of the armor skills that are quite important for staying alive against some of the nastier critters.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

I always have flat out ridiculous outdoor forts till I convert a soil Z level into a tree farm.

I had a bunch of legendary miners ascend to the surface naked and fight a 32 goblin siege naked with steel picks and swords. Surprisingly they alternated between them and devastated the goblin military, killing them all with no casualty's. Their bowmen had their ammo depleted by a migrant suicide squad.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:11 pm »

I'm using the Dihydrogen Monoxide Reactor because I'm a chemistry major, and it amuses me to think of what's REALLY going on in these reactors and how the HFS these little people managed it with such low technology :D

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 09:49:32 pm »

I like to take the alchemy approach and say they are fueled by the souls of carp that have fallen due to the lacking fall in their jaw.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 10:01:12 pm »

And now the ground level of my fort is laid out.  I might carve out a 2xwhatever bridge near the top later, but for now I stuck with the two bridges.  As an aside, the blood is from some more rhesus macaques, and I looked in the river and found a "Rhesus Macaque lower body".  Apparently my fisherdwarf TORE A MONKEY IN HALF in self defense.

That is f***ing metal.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »

Make those channels 1 wider and remove the up ramps on the inside or larger building destroyers will be able to reach over a tile and smash your drawbridge-gate down.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 10:10:46 pm »

Oh, that up ramp on the outside is just there  to make construction of the second floor easier.  I'm removing it after.  And sure, I'll make the moat wider.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »

It's just a nasty surprise when trolls come knocking on your doors, is all.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36