Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35657 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:00 am »

Sadly, I cannot make my entrance turn without some drastic changes.  At any rate, I plan on building a two-level construction in front of my fort (See image one above for the location-- there's just enough room for a 6x6 building) which will have fortifications every other block on the second level, ammo bins/food barrels, and a pair of drawbridges below.

As an aside, my weapon trap caught a rhesus macaque.  And a wild Giant Olm appears!  Soon to be slaughtered by my hammerdwarfs.  Speaking of which, I just realized that, though I changed the uniform for my hammerdwarfs, I still need to reset their equipment to their uniform (minus the commander, whom currently has better equipment anyway).
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:15 am »

I just love threads like this.  (And yes, this is an appropriate place to post this sort of thing.)  I love to see how new players come into the game, all bright-eyed and idealistic, ready to build the fort of their dreams, only to have the life stamped out by siege after siege, crushing all hopes ans dreams into the blood-caked dirt...

Ermm.. I mean ... having !!FUN!! ???

Sadly, I cannot make my entrance turn without some drastic changes.

Never feel like your initial fortress plan needs to remain static.  I almost _always_ build a "mini fort" on the first level, then move all that stuff down to lower levels once I've gotten somewhat established.  Then I turn my starting area into a deathtrap, with barracks full of constantly-practicing dwarf squads, weapon and cage traps, guard animals, etc.

Also get rid of all those "extra" plants by cranking out stone pots and wooden barrels and put your stills on "Brew drinks" on repeat.  Not only does it keep all that raw food stocks down, but your brewers get better and better, making better and better drinks, making your dorfs happier and happier by having a "decadent" drink lately.  Same thing with the lavish meals.  Just put 'em on repeat.  Eventually you'll run out of stocks and the job will get cancelled.  Wait until you've got some more and then turn it back on.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:27:20 am »

I'm creating a max size world with short history, low civ, high beasts, very low natural savagery, everywhere mineral occurance for my laptop.  I'm hoping to find another excellent serene location, which I can then transfer onto my desktop when I get home.

It is called the Legendary Planes of Omen.  Great Armok, let the creation rites begin!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 09:59:39 am »

Not lookin' good for this world!  I might end up dleeting it-- only one single serene section thus far, and it looks to be part of tundra...

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:45 am »

Nope!  That one area had a nearly perfect serene zone, with woodlands, soil, deep and shallow metals, no aquifer, and flux.  I set a note down and then built a camp somewhere else then abandoned it to save the reference for later.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:15 am »

Nope!  That one area had a nearly perfect serene zone, with woodlands, soil, deep and shallow metals, no aquifer, and flux.  I set a note down and then built a camp somewhere else then abandoned it to save the reference for later.

Do note that flux is buggy when displayed on the embark screen; there may actually be flux there even if it's not listed.  If you use 'f' for a search of a suitable site (very useful) and set it to look for sites with flux, the site finder will always accurately show you sites with flux, even if it's not listed.

If you want to get super nitpicky (liek a true dwarf) you can use Advanced World Generation to fiddle with how likely a serene spot is to show up, among other fun stuff.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »

I recommend trying to find a volcano at some point, they make the metal industry easier than stone and leather, imo
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 01:39:54 pm »

AND NOW!  I continue work on my tunnel down into the second cavern area.  Once I find it, I'll see if there's anything for my dwarves to kill to level up their skill, then shut it off with a closed bridge and keep digging down-- same with the third level of caverns, all the way until I reach the magma region.

Do note that flux is buggy when displayed on the embark screen; there may actually be flux there even if it's not listed.  If you use 'f' for a search of a suitable site (very useful) and set it to look for sites with flux, the site finder will always accurately show you sites with flux, even if it's not listed.

If you want to get super nitpicky (liek a true dwarf) you can use Advanced World Generation to fiddle with how likely a serene spot is to show up, among other fun stuff.
I did use the find function.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

AND NOW!  I continue work on my tunnel down into the second cavern area.  Once I find it, I'll see if there's anything for my dwarves to kill to level up their skill, then shut it off with a closed bridge and keep digging down-- same with the third level of caverns, all the way until I reach the magma region.

I did use the find function.

Ah, nevermind then.  Just as well, since it appears that I misread your post in the first place  :P  Keep digging!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 02:17:58 pm »

Yeah, it was kinda odd finding only ONE deployment area with serene.  I expected to find several, most of which were in wastelands (Where serene happens the most in my experience).  Instead I found one in a forest (not heavily forested, but forested nonetheless).

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »

As an aside, my game opened up (as in, after the embark screen) with there being a cave-in somewhere far, far below.  I wonder if I'll find out what happened, it was below the first cavern level somewhere, as it was at least a couple dozen levels down...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

As an aside, my game opened up (as in, after the embark screen) with there being a cave-in somewhere far, far below.  I wonder if I'll find out what happened, it was below the first cavern level somewhere, as it was at least a couple dozen levels down...
I predict lots of ‼Fun‼.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 06:16:29 pm »

Okay, second cavern is a no-go.  A giant underground lake-- Just not enough ground for me to walk on for exploring purposes.  And lots of cave alligators to pull my unfortunate dwarves into the water... 

Maybe I can drain it somehow?  Though i'd have to do it very, very carefully.

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might come back to it later.  For now, walling it off with a 2x1 bridge and moving on.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »

Okay, second cavern is a no-go.  A giant underground lake-- Just not enough ground for me to walk on for exploring purposes.  And lots of cave alligators to pull my unfortunate dwarves into the water... 

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might come back to it later.  For now, walling it off with a 2x1 bridge and moving on.

As far as draining it goes, explore it some more first.  If any of the water tiles are at a map edge, water will keep pouring in there infinitely.  Not sure if you'd be able to pump/drain it away off the map edge at a faster rate, but it'd be constantly trying to refill itself in that case.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »

Magma.

(if you did that, I am curious whether any creatures would enter through the edge or not, with there being a 1zlevel obsidian wall on all edges)
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36