Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35652 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:30:44 pm »

EDIT:  A LIST OF ARTIFACTS
In order of commission, this dwarfhold has produced:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunno if this is the right place to post a little journal like this?  But sharing your experiences is, I've discovered, half the fun of DF.  So...

I've played DF for a week or so.  Maybe two at most.  Every time, I either get frustrated or bored or just downright make a stupid mistake, and my forts die (even if it means I had to murder them). 

This time, however, I'm hangin' on o this fort :D 

On the world of Orosmlo, seven settlers-- The Belted Axe-- came from the dwarfhold of The Bridge of Language to settle the site of Windmonk.  The site was an excellent find, with a lot of cliffs to choose from, and even a waterfall where two rivers met.  One of these cliffs had a suitable depth of clay and dirt, and after digging in twenty spaces, they set about making the first floor of the fort, a trade depot, storage area, farming plots, and downward stairs.  Later, these would be joined by a still, a kennel, a well (more on that later) and four millstones, and the lever for the floodgate that lets water into the well's reservoir.

Across the river from this point was another cliff, with open access to hematite ore and limestone.  This is the external mine, used mostly for its ease of access.

On Z=Surface-1, workshops for masons, machinists, and carpenters went up.  Later, these would be joined by workshops for every job imaginable except kitchens, stills, leatherworking, wood burning, and furnace operating, including an extra masonry and carpentry shop each, the water for the well in a reservoir drawing directly from the river (protected by multiple grates and a floodgate).  My best achivement here, though, is the top level of my dihydrogen monoxide reactor, a crowning pinnacle of Windmonk Dwarf achievement-- a perpetual motion machine which provides impressive power (currently underutilized, it's a concept piece that only powers four millstones).  Each of the workshops had a 5x5 area with any excess area dedicated to stockpiles, and were eventually given a finely crafted door to enhance morale (and to potentially keep out any workers gone insane).  Here the first death took place, as the jeweler shut himself in his shop and died of thirst.  Four masterfully crafted statues make the corners of the stairwell.

On Z=Surface-2, a furnace and wood burning area were established, along with massive stocks for bars and wood near them.  Later, a leatherworker shop was also built.  Much later, the previously mentioned dihydrogen monoxide reactor was built, and on this level is the bottom area.  In the same room as the reactor's core are massive stone and wood storage areas, with tons of bins all full of resources-- more than enough for the massive amounts of furniture my masons and carpenters were putting out.  I cleansed the map of trees (and this is a forested area, so there were plenty... before I got here anwyay) to fill all of these storage areas up.

On Z=Surface-3 was the first of the residential levels to be completed.  Seven 3x3 rooms and one 3x5 office were built for the initial settlers.  Two thus far have been turned into tombs.  All of the rooms on this floor have been smoothed and engraved, and a legendary dining hall was built, a 5v11 room with ten excellently crafted chairs and tables, fully smoothed and engraved.  Behind that, the kitchen was built, along with a 5v5 food storage room, and behind that, much later, a jail was built, its middle wall made of masterful quality statues, its copper chains also fine quality, with each one being given a bed and then a door to shut them all in.  It has yet to be used. Statues line the middle of the hall, spaced evenly at the middle point between each room.

On Z=Surface-4 is the second of the residential areas.  5 more 3x3 rooms, and two more 5x3 offices make up this floor, as housing for the most important of the later arriving members (the commander and captain of the militia, the sherrif, and the replacement manager/bookkeeper, mostly).  The first barracks was also built here later, a fully engraved, fully outfitted and finely decorated room for the Shields of Metal squad of Hammerdwarfs.  Statues line the middle of the hall, spaced evenly at roughly the middle point between each room.

On Z=Surface-5, I found a massive magnetite vein, which took up the better part of my screen.  It is now harvested and serves as a stone stockpile.  Nothing else of note here.  On Z=Surface-6 and Z=Surface-7, no construction or mining projects of note were undertaken. 

On Z=Surface-8, the dormitories were built.  18 1v3 rooms with excellent engraving and finely crafted beds make up the dormitory proper, and of course it would not be complete without morale-boosting finely crafted statues, which are placed between each dormitory room entrance.  To lower noise pollution, no more construction was made on this level, until it needs to be exanded.

On Z=Surface-9 through Z=Surface-11, no major constructions were planned.

On Z=Surface-12, I ran into the top of a cavern.  After walling and flooring off that level, replacing up/down stairs with up ramps, I built to the side, and down another level, to Z=Surface-13.  There I built my second squad's barracks, the marksdwarves, with its own set of tables and its own food stocks, the rather large room (to give them an opportunity to practice longer ranged shots!) entirely engraved.  Statues line the outside path, my masons producing them by the ton at this point, due to their increased skill keeping my soldiers' morale high.  More tunnels go down into the cavern proper.

On Z=Surface-15, I finally breached the cavern proper, and built a bridge (as well as one on Z=Surface) to be able to quickly wall off the entrance to the mines.

And now, I'm playing the game far more seriously than I did before.  I just have to figure out what I want to do next!  Screenshots are incoming.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:00:35 pm by Melissia »
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:49:41 pm »

Well, that's farther than I got in my first couple weeks, nice work. Now you can either continue building up your fort with optional megaprojects, or find a spectacular way to get them all killed. The most Dwarven way to accomplish the latter is to explore the depths, there are more dangerous things far beneath the relatively tame first cavern level. In other words you either build up, or dig down.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »

Cool fort.  Nice screen name with the extra "i" in there too.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »

Oh, I definitely plan on digging too deep.  I want to play with magma! 

Oh, and pit my militia against a forgotten beast eventually, but only after I've gotten an axe squad equipped, so I'll have cutting, piercing, AND blunt damage to kill them with.

Pictures:

And that's it for today.  A very productive day I'd think?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:17:25 am »

Yes, that counts as relatively productive.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:19:36 am »

Oh, and a list of dwarves that I actually care about:

Fikod Lidcatten:  Legendary smithy.  Produced an artifact lead mail shirt, but more importantly, she's also produced masterwork steel warhammers and full iron plate armor with a chainshirt underneath for my five hammerdwarves.

Nish Ginetshorast:  Legendary bowyer.  Produced an artifact wood crossbow with silk spikes (what).  She also works as a carpenter, as I only have so much use for new crossbows. 

Dumed Edanimush:  Sheriff, and all around pain in the arse, because she didn't think her bedroom was good enough until I stuffed it full of statues.  Currently basically useless as noone has committed a crime yet.  Started out as a macedwarf, but currently wields a copper warhammer instead because maces aren't dwarven enough for me and because I don't want her to HURT the criminals too much anyway.

Zaneg Olonildom:  Manager, bookkeeper, and a decent enough guy.  Always tries to make himself useful... including times when he needs to be sitting at the trade depot talking in meetings, or at his desk doing... well... bookkeeping.  Still, no complaints from him.

Ushrir Besmaruzol:  Expedition leader and commander of the militia, leader of the Hammerdwarves.  Unbelievably strong, basically unbreakable, Almost never sick, and quick to heal... but quick to tire and clumsy.  Also very strong spatial sense, an iron will, social awareness, and affinity for language, but creativity and patience.  Currently has ten kills, all Rhesus Macaques.

Shem Regikthag:  Captain of the Marksdwarves.  Used to be a hunter, incredibly tough, rarely sick, very agile.  But weak and slow to heal, so he's best kept out of melee anyway. 

Honorable mentions:  Uvash Shetbethmistem, who killed two of the draltha plaguing the caverns.  Lorban Mosussulid, who has eight kills (two badgers, two rhesus macaques, three naked mole rats, and a draltha), and apparently has supernatural regeneration ability.  Kulet Nishonol, who killed a troll single-handedly with no armor and only a copper warhammer.  Never sick, quick to heal, and agile... but with mental and social abilities like a rock.  At least dwarves like rocks though, especially rocks that can kill trolls in one hit without actually being trained in the weapon theyr'e using.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 03:17:05 am »

Oh my, that's a lot of statues you got there :]
And now, I'm playing the game far more seriously than I did before.  I just have to figure out what I want to do next!
I usually come up with some kind of scenario. What was the purpose of your embark? Who chose that location?
But everyone plays the game differently. gl hf
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:12 am »

Purpose?  Well, sorry for soundin' backwards, but I kinda just embarked so that my dwarves could mine stuff, build stuff, kill stuff, and then when I get bored mine a little bit too deep and get killed.  No real objective... just have fun in both the traditional and DF sense of the term.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 06:44:16 am »

Purpose?  Well, sorry for soundin' backwards, but I kinda just embarked so that my dwarves could mine stuff, build stuff, kill stuff, and then when I get bored mine a little bit too deep and get killed.  No real objective... just have fun in both the traditional and DF sense of the term.

Digging too deep is fun...   have you ever hit the Most Fun Stuff with the vertical pillars of ore yet?

And remember, magma doesn't pressurize unless you pump it, and if you're going to pump it build it out of magma-save materials like steel or it won't be pumping for very long.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:41 am »

Digging too deep is fun...   have you ever hit the Most Fun Stuff with the vertical pillars of ore yet?

And remember, magma doesn't pressurize unless you pump it, and if you're going to pump it build it out of magma-save materials like steel or it won't be pumping for very long.
Is iron magma-safe?

I have plenty of that...

And no, I've only gotten to the point where I'm justabout to dig down to the second cavern right now.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:25 am »

Surprisingly enough, my current problem is actually that I have too much food-- and not just plump helmets, but strawberries, meat, and other things as well!

I'm going to solve this through lavish meals!  Should raise happiness and lower my food stocks, right?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:39 am »

You should be careful about your Captain of the Guard/Sheriff's weapon; copper is the second best blunt weapon material after silver.

And the answer to the above question is yes, but don't cook all the seeds!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 07:13:36 am »

Surprisingly enough, my current problem is actually that I have too much food-- and not just plump helmets, but strawberries, meat, and other things as well!

I'm going to solve this through lavish meals!  Should raise happiness and lower my food stocks, right?

Don't cook all your seeds!

You should be careful about your Captain of the Guard/Sheriff's weapon; copper is the second best blunt weapon material after silver.

This.

Is iron magma-safe?

I have plenty of that...

And no, I've only gotten to the point where I'm justabout to dig down to the second cavern right now.

Iron should be magma safe...

See for yourself:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe

Magma-safe materials
In the game, magma's temperature is exactly 12,000 °U, which is equivalent to 2,032°F, or about 1,111°C.
Due to softening and weakening with high temperature not being implemented yet (and maybe not for a long time) something can have a melting point 1 degree higher then that and still be usable.

Code: [Select]
Alunite 13,690°U (3722°F/2051°C)
Anhydrite 12,610°U (2642°F/1450°C)
Basalt 12,160°U (2192°F/1200°C)
Bauxite 13,600°U (3632°F/2000°C)
Calcite 12,902°U (2934°F/1613°C)
Chert 13,101°U (3133°F/1723°C)
Chromite 13,645°U (3677°F/2026°C)
Dolomite 16,507°U (6539°F/3619°C)
Gabbro 12,160°U (2192°F/1200°C)
Ilmenite 12,457°U (2489°F/1365°C)
Kaolinite 13,150°U (3182°F/1751°C)
Mica 12,295°U (2327°F/1275°C)
Obsidian 13,600°U (3632°F/2001°C)
Olivine 13,168°U (3200°F/1761°C)
Orthoclase 12,250°U (2282°F/1250°C)
Periclase 15,040°U (5072°F/2803°C)
Petrified wood (3002°F/1650°C)
Pitchblende 12,070°U (2102°F/1149°C)
Quartzite 12,970°U (3002°F/1650°C)
Rutile 13,285°U (3214°F/1826°C)
Sandstone 12,070°U (2102°F/1149°C)
Talc 12,700°U (2732°F/1500°C)
Iron (metal) 12,768°U (2800°F/1538°C)
Nickel (metal)12,619°U (2651°F/1455°C)
Pig iron (metal) 12,106°U (2138°F/1170°C)
Platinum (metal) 13,182°U (3214°F/1768°C)
Steel (metal) 12,718°U (2750°F/1510°C)
Cassiterite (tin ore) 12,025°U (2057°F/1124°C)
Galena (lead ore / 50% silver ore) 12,005°U (2037°F/1113°C)
Hematite (iron ore) 12,736°U (2768°F/1520°C)
Magnetite (iron ore) 12,768°U (2800°F/1538°C)
Native platinum 13,182°U (3214°F/1768°C)
Sphalerite ore 12,133°U (2165°F/1185°C) Ore of zinc4
Nether-cap wood (static temperature not affected by heat) Cavern (depth 3)
Fire imp leather 15,000°U (5032°F/2780°C)
Dragon leather 55,000°U (45032°F/25,044°C)
Fire imp bones 15,000°U (5032°F/2780°C)
Dragon bones 55,000°U (45032°F/25,044°C)
Green glass 13,600°U (3632°F/2001°C)
Clear glass 13,600°U (3632°F/2001°C)
Crystal glass 13,600°U (3632°F/2001°C)
And a few that are safe, but are spoilers.  Can't say I didn't warn you:

regarding constructions:

Code: [Select]
Constructions that resist magma are:

Constructions (Wall, Floor, Ramp, and Stairs) of any material can never melt or burn - there is nothing wrong with a wooden magma reservoir. Natural (but not constructed) ice walls/floors/ramps/stairs may melt however.
    Fortifications will allow the passage of magma, but not the assorted magma creatures. Fire snakes are vermin, so they can spawn anywhere near the magma. They are not affected by fortifications, grates, or even solid walls. Also, there is a bug with fluids which may sometimes let magma (and water) push living things through barriers such as fortifications, bars and grates. Pumps are a positive defense, but can change the dynamics of fluid pressure.
    If not submerged (that is, not opened to let magma flow over/past/around them), doors, floodgates, and raised bridges (provided that there is no magma on the space the bridge would occupy when lowered) of non-magma-safe stone or metal are safe. So long as they are just in contact with magma, only acting as a passive "wall", they are fine. If opened, they will melt.
        Raised drawbridges have a notable exception, in that allowing magma to flow over the center of the area that the bridge would normally occupy when lowered will cause the bridge's components to heat up and potentially melt.
    A pump made with magma-safe metal pipes and screws and with magma-safe metal or stone blocks is fully magma-safe.
    Pumps made with wooden components will burst into flames the instant they are turned on.
    Pumps made with non-magma-safe stone blocks have been reported to melt after prolonged operation.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:16:38 am »

Ah good.  I have binloads of iron, so much so that I'm making another set of equipment to prepare for the next immigrant wave when I will get my axedwarves squad.
Hm.  Perhaps give him a wooden training axe instead?

Well yeah, I only set ten lavish meals to be prepared.

Believe me.  I have FAR more than that in plump helmets and strawberries... even if they make all ten meals entirely out of four strawberries or four plump helmets, I'll be fine.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:18:24 am by Melissia »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:22:23 am »

Ah good.  I have binloads of iron, so much so that I'm making another set of equipment to prepare for the next immigrant wave when I will get my axedwarves squad.

Remember to set up traps in the entrance and a guard dog (or two, and after the traps) on a chain to detect stealthed thieves and goblin baby snatchers.

And you should have your entrance hall turn after the traps, even if it's small (a 2 tile shift per 1 tile is good) or even dieing goblins may cause job cancelations and archers may take potshots down the hall at your dwarves.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36