Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35654 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:39 pm »

Okay, second cavern is a no-go.  A giant underground lake-- Just not enough ground for me to walk on for exploring purposes.  And lots of cave alligators to pull my unfortunate dwarves into the water... 

Maybe I can drain it somehow?  Though i'd have to do it very, very carefully.

Screenshot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might come back to it later.  For now, walling it off with a 2x1 bridge and moving on.

Move on, but make sure your military is prepared.  Now is when things can begin to get really interesting.

If you think they're prepared, they're not prepared enough, you're going to get horribly beaten your first time, guaranteed, when you find the real !!fun!! stuff.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 07:07:02 pm »

As an aside, my game opened up (as in, after the embark screen) with there being a cave-in somewhere far, far below.  I wonder if I'll find out what happened, it was below the first cavern level somewhere, as it was at least a couple dozen levels down...

Press R, and see if you have any building you don't remember constructing. Specifically upright weapons.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 07:15:29 pm »

As an aside, my game opened up (as in, after the embark screen) with there being a cave-in somewhere far, far below.  I wonder if I'll find out what happened, it was below the first cavern level somewhere, as it was at least a couple dozen levels down...

Press R, and see if you have any building you don't remember constructing. Specifically upright weapons.

I think that bugfeature was fixed, sadly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 07:19:16 pm »

I think that bugfeature was fixed, sadly.
No, it just fixed things appearing on the weapons screen, not on the buildings screen.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »

Either way, nothing on the building screen out of the ordinary (which is to say pages AND PAGES of buildings, zones, stockpiles, and statues.  *mimics The Rock" Millions... AND MILLIONS... of statues), so it may not be a daemonic fortress.

If it IS there though, I'm SO going to floor it over (including making sure it's only one level high to prevent flying beasts from getting past the traps easily), set up a labrinth with lots of traps, and then open it up and run like hell :D
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »

LOL
I'm fairly new at DF too, maybe playing a bit longer than you, but you seem to have it down. Good going!
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:29 pm »

LOL
I'm fairly new at DF too, maybe playing a bit longer than you, but you seem to have it down. Good going!

Yep (she?) is picking it up certainly a lot faster then I did.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:41 pm »

You got a little history in this!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 08:12:19 pm »

You're learning really friggin' fast, aren't you? I didn't have a successful fort until week 4-5, and I'm

MEGANERD, DEFENDER OF CYBERSPACE!CYBERSPACECYBERSPACECYEBERSPACE

CYBERSPACE
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 08:31:42 pm »

To be fair, I came from minecraft... which while much, much easier than DF is still a good primer I think...

And now that I've finished slaughtering some Orks in Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (to a playlist of Rob Zombie and other similar metal), it's time to break into the third cavern level!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

Good luck.  Hopefully you're luckier than I - the first time I broke in my miner popped out two tiles from a greater cavern spider.  It went poorly.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 08:34:18 pm »

Oh... yeesh.  Thanks for reminding me to finish equipping my axedwarves before I go down there, I'll have to keep them near my miners when I'm digging down.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 08:38:17 pm »

Wait, I don't remember having any peasants, undrafted potash/soap makers or dyers O.o  Did I get immigrants while I wasn't paying attention? How'd I miss them?  Huh. 

WELL NOW!  I have a new squad of militia then!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »

Wait, I don't remember having any peasants, undrafted potash/soap makers or dyers O.o  Did I get immigrants while I wasn't paying attention? How'd I miss them?  Huh. 

WELL NOW!  I have a new squad of militia then!

Goodies, I like when that happens.

I'll also note, the GCS only natively exists in caverns 1 and 2.  I had a passage going from cavern 2 to cavern 3.  Cavern 3 has ... vastly worse...   things...

...and a few annoying ones.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 09:01:52 pm »

That's kinda why i'm equipping my militia with ☼ or ≡ Iron Chainmail, Breastplate, Greaves, Gauntlets, Helms, and spider silk cloaks, as well as ≡ or better steel battleaxes, crossbows, and warhammers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36