Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.  (Read 35718 times)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melissia's ventures into the greater world of Dwarf Fortress.
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »

I have iron breastplates, iron mail shirts, iron gauntlets, iron low boots, iron greaves, iron helmets, iron shields queued up, then some steel battle axes queued up after I make some more steel.

The manager is useful like that.

You should make those Iron Low Boots into Iron High Boots, they protect the lower legs, and even though you're going greaves it doesn't hurt to have an extra piece of armor between your shins and an arrow/GCS bite/whip
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »

if you're just after serrated disks and have sand, you can setup a glassworks, churning out green glass disks for traps or trade. also could make some green glass vials to make use of those valley herbs sitting in your kitchen (i'd suggest turning off the ability to cook those, they can be processed to a vial at a farmer's workshop for some fun stuff to sell to merchants)

also, i used to stick to only good aligned areas for a while, but started testing with the rest and now am addicted to embarks that always have good, evil, and savage biomes in them. it sorta depends on what you're after, too, on what biomes you'll like. if you want unicorns, gotta get a good forest of any sort. evil forests have phantom spiders in them (they're vermin, but phantom spider silk is fun if you have a cloth industry), evil swamps and marshes can get you beak dogs (nice eggs for cooking, if you alter them and everything else to just pet, instead of pet_exotic), evil plains can have ogres, which're a bad, bad thing to a beginning fort. then the savage stuff, savage mountains can bring you giant eagles...which are great for defense when war trained (good and evil mountains can introduce you to various kinds of gnomes that just go straight for your booze and deserve to be killed), savage deserts/badlands nets the very dangerous (but very fun, if modded to be war trainable) giant desert scorpion. savagery also introduces giant and animal-man versions of animals. giant moose, moose men, giant badgers, badger men, and so on. again, the giant types can be quite nice if they're captured and tamed and war trainable (also again, you prob'ly wanna remove all exotics, at least until the dungeon master is fixed...)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

Just started my serene area.  The group "Hammerhome" set out from the dwarven civilization "Roads of Filling" to the location known as Evonisos Sedilnethgon, "Loverdale the Angelic Lust".

... somewhat creepy area name, but okay. 

I embarked literally right next to the river-- the rear end of my wagon is touching the water.  This is good, I don't have to go far to get water.  Bad news is that the cliff I want is on the other side of the river.  Bridge time?  It IS serene so I should be able to use a few of my starting towercap wood to build a bridge.

The only creatures on the map right now are milkfish, tigerfish, stingrays, and carp, and of course my starting alpaca pair.  So as long as I stay way from the water I should be mostly okay.

First things first, though, is to use runesmith to recreate my adventurer using the leader dwarf.  I'll edit in an "Elflady" class later and add her to that, as soon as I figure out how to change her dsecription (such as making hair brown, long, tied in a ponytail, etc)...

A bit cheating perhaps, but it's a fun concept.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:42:15 pm by Melissia »
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2011, 09:08:47 pm »

Please. Ive had the bronze balls inhabiting a region known as girlishholes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2011, 01:00:18 pm »

I kinda need to build a second metalsmith to build some copper serrated disks, yet I don't want it to be used to build any of the armor pieces because I want my legendary armorer to do it.  Do I have to go in, manually list all the items I want to build, then manually forbid it when they're done?

If I understand correctly, you want one particular dwarf to make the copper discs, and a different dwarf to make the armor? 
If that's the case, just make sure the "Armorer Dwarf" has the 'Armorsmith' labour enabled, but not the 'Weaponsmith' labour, and the "Copper Disc Dwarf" has the 'Weaponsmith' labour enabled, but not the 'Armorsmith' labour. 

You can also set individual workshops with a profile once you have a manager with 'q' > 'P' .  You can restrict individual dwarves or certain skill levels to a particular shop.  For example, you could restruct one metal forge to only be used by your Legendary Armorer, and then only queue up your armor jobs there.  Using the manager sort of meddles with this, since the manager just equally distributes tasks to all possible shops.  You could reserve certain shops from being queued by the manager by filling them with 's'uspended tasks, so there's no more room for new tasks, but that's a lot of micromanaging.

What I tend to do with my Metal Forges, is build a bunch of them, then set different skill ranges.  Typically the two on the left only let skill levels of Master - Legendary work there (for my quality weapons and armor), the two in the middle allow Adequate - Great (for mediocre stuff and to train up apprentice Armorers and Weaponsmiths), and the two on the right only allow Dabbling - Dabbling (To give all my haulers a few points in Weaponsmith/Armorer by queueing up bolts or caps, so they will create artifact weapons or armor when they mood).  With this many forges, I just don't use the manager for weapon/armor jobs.  I tend to use the manager heavily for everything else, where I don't care about the quality: furniture, blocks, food, clothing etc.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

I want my armourer to make the equipment itself.  While separately (to save time) I want the serrated disks to be made by another metalsmith...

I currently have my only forge linked to my legendary armourer/master weaponsmith, but I DO have another smithy, he's just not doing smithy things right now.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:00 pm »

Have that only forge produce an anvil given that you have iron, That way you can have a lesser metalsmith make the disks. Green glass serrated disks can be used given the lack of iron.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »

I want my armourer to make the equipment itself.  While separately (to save time) I want the serrated disks to be made by another metalsmith...

I currently have my only forge linked to my legendary armourer/master weaponsmith, but I DO have another smithy, he's just not doing smithy things right now.

That should be fine then.  The four jobs that take place at a (Magma)Forge (Armourer, Weaponsmith, Metal crafter and Black/Metalsmith) don't have any overlap in the items they produce.  So if noone else besides your Armourer has the 'Armourer' job enabled, nobody else will attempt any armouring, even without any sort of workshop profile set up.  If you want to make sure that Legendary Armourer doesn't do any Black/Metalsmithing, just disable his Metalsmith labour. 

Since a forge can only be used for one item at a time, your best bet may be just build another forge, and queue up the discs on that one. 

I often don't bother with assigning individuals to workshops and use the skill levels instead, but that's because my fort may have a high 'turnover' on dwarves and I don't want to have to keep track of who is good at what; I just know "this forge will only be used by a dwarf with a legendary skill, so I'll make my axes here" etc.  Either way works.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2011, 04:06:17 pm »

I've only lost two dwarves thus far, so I don't have the huge turn-over problem...

Yet, anyway.  I'm building a crypt and being prepared.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2011, 04:26:43 pm »

Yeah. Ghosts can be a nuisance. My favorite dwarf shoharst had a ghost that would attack them every time she ever entered battle. She still slayed a large force of enemys, but she would leave battle frustrated by this ghost that only existed when she was in battle........... (I couldn't put it to rest because... She would kick its ass.) Eventually this lead to her getting thrown into a wall by a troll and spending the rest of the fortress on a traction bench next to the entrance staircase (Where I finally put the spirit (strangely enough, of a dwarf she had accidentally chopped in two with a copper pick.) to a rest since she wasn't able to kill it.)
She was the last living dwarf I remember. She drove off the siege, ecstatically I may say, while immobile. Then died of starvation.

In short: My advice. Put spirits to rest. Otherwise your bad-ass fugitive dwarf will get immobilized and starve alone after saving the mountain-home for migrants yet to come.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »

Whee.  Another failure attempt to mod.  May have to redownload the Phoebus pack re-installed version of Dwarf Fortress after this.

I haven't had any ghosts yet... I've put all my corpses to rest in a mostly timely manner... or my dwarves all died in a timely manner.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

Yeah. Ive found rivers melting and isolating you from your booze is the fastest way to find total death ; D

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:19 pm »

Can anyone make sense of this set of error messages?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93548.15

I tried to install that guy's mod and I get a CTD at world generation.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »

It seems that someone was gonna attempt inter-species relations and it crashed your game  :o

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2011, 08:45:57 pm »

Lulz indeed.

I'm gonna try that mod without DFusion, which I realized was still installed . Time to back up my worlds, delete DF, and reinstall the phoebus pre-installed pack.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36