Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19870 times)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »

I know what you mean.  I'm just saying that making such a mod is just... theme-breaking.  Unless you're playing humans or... any non-dwarves.

It'd be like making a DF mod where there's no magma ...
No... magma?

But... magma...

and the magma....

Magma?
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Necro cancels post: Throwing tantrum.
An orthoclase floodgate has been destroyed!

That floodgate was an artifact!

I PUT MY LIFE INTO THAT!

Teronsuke has gone berserk!
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »

I also use them [bridges] a lot for scaffolding over inaccessible areas since they use less material and you can recover the material when you deconstruct them.

*FACEDESK FACEDESK FACEDESK FACEDESK*

Well that will save some armok damned time.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »

I also use them [bridges] a lot for scaffolding over inaccessible areas since they use less material and you can recover the material when you deconstruct them.

*FACEDESK FACEDESK FACEDESK FACEDESK*

Well that will save some armok damned time.

Yeah, I also thought that was a rather clever way to use bridges.  The more you know.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

I know what you mean.  I'm just saying that making such a mod is just... theme-breaking.  Unless you're playing humans or... any non-dwarves.

No... magma?

But... magma...

and the magma....

Magma?
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I PUT MY LIFE INTO THAT!

And so begins the tantrum spiral of this thread.

Necro has enjoyed a good fistfight lately.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »

No... magma?

But... magma...

and the magma....

Magma?
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I PUT MY LIFE INTO THAT!

And so begins the tantrum spiral of this thread.

Necro has enjoyed a good fistfight lately.

Well, the topic is "The changes that will break you," so apparently we just have the evidence now.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »

Necro910 has prohibited the export of magma.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing creatures that can dig, bridge channels, and remove constructions.  The cheap, exploit-based tactics we use now will become obsolete and we'll actually have to carefully plan our defenses, so we may end up seeing things like star forts out of necessity rather than creativity.  Of course, if Toady doesn't fix the painfully slow rate at which walls and floors are built...
For starters, I'm sigging that first part.
Back on-topic: digging creatures? We'll just do what we've done with trolls and supports before the former got fixed, and have the latter support large enough platforms that will instantly crush everything underneath. Replace supports with walls. Instant cave-ins! Win!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2011, 02:16:32 pm »

Necro910 has prohibited the export of magma.

Overseer Necro910 has mandated the export of magma.  To everywhere.

Fix'd that for you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »

A magma moat cannot start a fire, unless it overflows and touches grass.  In Minecraft, magma generates sparks of a sort, which pop off the surface and can cause grass and wood to catch flame.  In DF, magma will catch fire to whatever occupies the same tile.  A wooden door is safe, as long as it's closed.  When it opens, then the magma occupies the same tile as the door and fire occurs.  You can build a magma moat 1Z under the surface, and it'll be safe, but if you're very cautious you can build a stone floor border around the moat.

I'm entirely looking forward to edible syndromes!  One of my first projects will be to make a sort of potion that causes the creature to become super-powered, but to slowly lose their sanity.  The praised outcasts, beloved for their defense of the fort and terrifying for their abuse on civilians, they are both hated and essential.

I'm also looking forward to when I finally reach mountainhome status and my monarch arrives, and immediately transforms into a were-badger and slaughters THE WHOLE FORT!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

Once we can do things away from just our fort embark area (i.e. pillage other settlements), we may no longer care to wall ourselves in. A 200 goblin siege to be exploited with path-finding and bridges just won't feel epic enough compared to the 2000 goblin army you can fight out there with a 1000 steel-clad dwarf army of your own.

Then again, I suppose people who like epic battles figure out the military one way or another and it's those who don't want to deal with the military (or epic deathtraps with magma/undead/syndromes) that use the more 'automated' options for dealing with sieges.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2011, 03:21:18 pm »

Automated death will always be fun for the sheer value of automated death.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »

A magma moat cannot start a fire, unless it overflows and touches grass.  In Minecraft, magma generates sparks of a sort, which pop off the surface and can cause grass and wood to catch flame.

Well... sort of. It's actually just a random chance for all blocks within a certain radius. The sparks are only visual.

Now, if Dwarf Fortress had sparks, there would be infernos starting up all the time just because the furnace operator's kitten walked too close when he was forging a trifle pewter sceptre.
[Signature]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »

That would be excellent!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »

Hmm, I guess that's why people make cheap ways to kill sieges when they could just switch off invasions. I foresee some players being broken by the trap 'nerf' in the Army Arc, though it would be a very welcome change to have more flexible traps.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2011, 03:56:48 pm »

Hmm, I guess that's why people make cheap ways to kill sieges when they could just switch off invasions. I foresee some players being broken by the trap 'nerf' in the Army Arc, though it would be a very welcome change to have more flexible traps.

Well, at least it would motivate me to finish my megatraps. Currently the only reason I want a flood able entrance hallway is to clear out the mobs that idle after their leader is caged. And turning off the civilian alert usually works for that too.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »

I foresee some players being broken by the trap 'nerf' in the Army Arc, though it would be a very welcome change to have more flexible traps.
Like "Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)" or "Rock grinders? Fans?" :D
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11