Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19890 times)

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »

Far as supply and demand goes, couldn't you just disable your civ's ability to create a high value object such as a Giant Axe Blade, start a fort, and then edit an existing reaction to produce said item as well? Make Coke, get a Steel Giant Axe Blade. 

You are now your civilization's sole supplier of that product. The high value insures that your dwarves can purchase a lot with each individual object while avoiding flooding the market with said good.

I'd say that is cheating, and ruins the point. Sure that massive siege of tunnelers looks deadly, but you can just use runesmith's genocide.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »

Where are people getting this idea that the next version is .26? The version numbers are at least partially based off of particularly major releases, and I can name 3 off the top of my head:

1. Better town maps (first caravan arc release)
2. Armies moving on world map (comes with the town maps, directly related to army arc)
3. Various interesting undead creatures

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

I'd say that is cheating, and ruins the point. Sure that massive siege of tunnelers looks deadly, but you can just use runesmith's genocide.

You have an interesting code of ethics where Dwarf Fortress is concerned.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 05:53:26 pm »

You have an interesting code of ethics where Dwarf Fortress is concerned.
His point is that both are cheating and ruin the Fun.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »

Where are people getting this idea that the next version is .26? The version numbers are at least partially based off of particularly major releases, and I can name 3 off the top of my head:

2. Armies moving on world map (comes with the town maps, directly related to army arc)
Hollow skins!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »

Yes, now that I think about it, that does make more sense. I have seen quite a few people say things like that (such as "Editing reactions is cheating. ... This forgotten beast got loose in my fortress so I used DFLiquids to trap it in obsidian.) in the same post though so I thought it was another such instance.

Anyway, the main thing is that people who think things like Supply and Demand lessen the appeal of the game have ways around it. Not everybody is going to find that sort of thing fun themselves.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 06:21:13 pm »

Yes, now that I think about it, that does make more sense. I have seen quite a few people say things like that (such as "Editing reactions is cheating. ... This forgotten beast got loose in my fortress so I used DFLiquids to trap it in obsidian.) in the same post though so I thought it was another such instance.

Anyway, the main thing is that people who think things like Supply and Demand lessen the appeal of the game have ways around it. Not everybody is going to find that sort of thing fun themselves.
Supply the traders with an axe to the face. Demand their goods.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 06:28:58 pm »

Toady has said that the next release has curses and cities. He even has all the development on the main page.

If you're saying that .26 doesn't come after .25, you need to learn how to count.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »

Supply the traders with an axe to the face. Demand their goods.

The Loyalty Cascade method of trading, then?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »

Toady has said that the next release has curses and cities. He even has all the development on the main page.

If you're saying that .26 doesn't come after .25, you need to learn how to count.
Releases can skip numbers. (There was no .04, .05, or .07 release.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 06:47:36 pm »

Toady has ALSO said that the next version will probably NOT be 31.26, but instead something like 34.01.

Do you listen to the DFtalks? >_>

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 07:04:44 pm »

Three Words: Masterwork Wood Bolt
It pierces Iron Folks!
Since One log=One tree, Toady will actually have to up the amount of bolts we get.

Digging Enemies: Mod out picks for other civs
I am against the idea of digging enemies, they should know where your fort is before they start digging, hence the need for espionage and map making.
                                                            Legends
 In the year *** Ulspa( Goblin word for dagger)McDashing Rouge commenced a mission to infiltrate the fortress of *** , assassinate Urist McImportant Noble/Champion, Steal GliiterGoats the Pigtail Sock, and Map out the surrounding area.
Ulspa was successful in all three missions but was caught escaping and killed, but his masterfully trained ******, escaped with his plans and brought them back to the Drunken Queen ******...
                                       Fort Mode
Goblin Spies/Scouts are sent to fortresses to steal/gather information BEFORE enemies magically dig to your dining room, also there should be a map making/map reading skill, so if the dumb general instead of the clever peon leads the expidition, the war band could be lost/sidetracked.

This is all probably planned and I'm wasting my time
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 10:12:51 pm »

I´m not worried about changes in trading, food production or monsters that make the game harder, I´m worried that the game will not play at all because there are too many features.

Same here.   Already, FPS is killing the game for me... and I really don't like the idea of capping number of dorfs to small numbers like one or two hundred.   Just had to abandon a fort of only 110 dorfs due to FPS issues.  I will plan from the beginning on my next fort in order to avoid these problems for as long as possible, but I am really wondering if Toady will ever be able to do much about it.

I guess if computers keep getting faster at historical rates (i.e., exponential, but I think that has levelled off now, hasn't it?) we might be okay in the long run.

The problem, as I understand it, is that DF is single-threaded and can't really take advantage of multicore processors. A single-core computer with a higher-yield processor should theoretically handle DF a bit better than my own eight-core machine that has slower individual cores. RAM factors in there someplace, I expect, but that's the biggest hangup - if Toady manages to include multicore support in DF, then we'll all see a dramatic performance increase.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »

I find it funny how i can buy off an entire caravan with 3 golden figurines

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:11 pm »

Water reactors not working.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11