Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19895 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »

Considering, but haven't got the beards yet: No bridges. (!)

I really hope you mean just no using bridges to block entrances or atomsmash enemies. I use bridges all the time in waterworks.

Ha, I must be hanging around here too long - I didn't even consider non-garbagedump or garagedoor uses for bridges...
Although, I suppose most other uses for bridges can be replicated by doors, floor hatches, floodgates etc., right?  I was mainly thinking to get rid of the "Impenetrable door" and "Goblin Obliterator" uses of bridges.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 03:00:47 pm »

I also use them a lot for scaffolding over inaccessible areas since they use less material and you can recover the material when you deconstruct them.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Jibekn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »

Metal is only an issue if they don't also change the smelt to bar ratios. As in, if I mine out a section of rock, within an iron vein. Big enough for a dwarf to comfortably stand and wide enough to house a bed (a 1x1 tile) I better damn well get more than a single bar.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »

Most forts, Properly adapted, don't need much of anything from caravans anyways, I use them mostly as a way to get rid of garbage.

To me, the mountainhomes are nothing but a landfill.

As per the bridges no longer being ultra invulnerable idea, I don't think it will matter, it'll take all of a half hour before we find something else to use as the go-to "I win" defense.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 03:45:08 pm »

Metal is only an issue if they don't also change the smelt to bar ratios. As in, if I mine out a section of rock, within an iron vein. Big enough for a dwarf to comfortably stand and wide enough to house a bed (a 1x1 tile) I better damn well get more than a single bar.

As far as justifying it, it shouldn't be an issue.  You could just say, "a block labelled '£' doesn't mean a solid cube of ore, but a cube of rock with enough ore distributed in it to produce 1 bar."  So it can always 'make sense' no matter what is decided. 

As far as gameplay goes, I like multiple bars to make weapons and armor.  You can always just lower the MINERAL SCARCITY when you gen a new world in order to get 3x more ore than usual if 3 bars per breastplate seems too much.  I find with default scarcity it's not very challenging to get lots of metal using the '1 bar = 1 item' bug as it is now.  With the edits I made (closer to the 'old' stlye, 'intended style', whatever), I find myself actually using copper, since I don't immediately find enough iron to do everything.

Most forts, Properly adapted, don't need much of anything from caravans anyways, I use them mostly as a way to get rid of garbage.

To me, the mountainhomes are nothing but a landfill.

As per the bridges no longer being ultra invulnerable idea, I don't think it will matter, it'll take all of a half hour before we find something else to use as the go-to "I win" defense.

True, if bridges were made vulnerable, you could just use constructed walls instead.  The issue is that bridges are a very inexpensive, simple, and fast way to control what areas are safe.  If they were no longer indestructible, or could only be made of lots of iron, etc. then at least there'd be more trade off in making yourself totally safe (more cost if using metals, or more wasted time and risk of not being fast enough if you have to build/deconstruct walls to allow access).

I'm hoping tunneling (possibly swimming, to account for the aquifer defense), drilling, or catapulting enemies with the ability to dig through stone / destroy constructed walls and floors with siege engines come about, to truly eliminate the "Perfectly Safe Fortress."  Sure, you could still have great defenses and tons of traps, but at least you wouldn't have the "pull a lever and become absolutely immune for eternity" mode we have now. 

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »

I'm hoping tunneling (possibly swimming, to account for the aquifer defense), drilling, or catapulting enemies with the ability to dig through stone / destroy constructed walls and floors with siege engines come about, to truly eliminate the "Perfectly Safe Fortress."  Sure, you could still have great defenses and tons of traps, but at least you wouldn't have the "pull a lever and become absolutely immune for eternity" mode we have now.

I dunno, you'd think you could just channel out a single square wide thing around your entire underground section clear down to a few levels past the bottom to make digging entrances moot.

Possibly, rig up a multi-level system with pressure plates to cause magma and water to flow to re-seal breaches...

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 04:03:45 pm »

Hopefully cage traps in general could get toned down a bit.  Maybe adding a chance to miss dependent on mechanism quality, like weapon traps?  We require more FUN!
Traps are low priority. This is what I'm hoping to be added next:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
-Hauling Improvements
I would give all the necromancy secrets in every generated world EVER in exchange for the ability to carry more than 1 item at a time...
Urist Mcfancypants is carrying 12 dead elephants and a caged squirrel, the squirrel is caged in spikeholm, the cage of spikes, it is adorned with siltstone spikes, it is adorned with green glass spikes, it is decorated with serrated electrum disks covered in candy spikes, spikes of pig tail cloth extend from the spikes, and spikes of slade hang from these. Urist is Ecstatic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »

I dunno, you'd think you could just channel out a single square wide thing around your entire underground section clear down to a few levels past the bottom to make digging entrances moot.

Possibly, rig up a multi-level system with pressure plates to cause magma and water to flow to re-seal breaches...

This is exactly where escalation comes into play  8).  I figure for every update that we manage to bend to our will, there should be a workaround Toady can find :).  E.G. If gobbos hang around on the map long enough and are unable to pathfind, give them the ability to erect ladders or scaffolds (like the siege ladders in LoTR) to bridge gaps.  Eventually have them build siege ballista that can chip away at stone etc.  My idea is that these things would be big and slow, and only viable if you give them a few months to set up, to discourage walling yourself in as a be-all end-all tactic, but still giving it advantages and disadvantages. 

Even without that, though, digging a 1-tile wide gap all around your fort is a heck of a lot harder than building a bridge, so I figure it's more balanced as you have to survive until you get it finished, plus all the dwarfpower you could have put into training militia etc. instead.  Anyway I'm starting to derail this into the Suggestions Forum territory...

I would think any possible changes to what equipment invaders get would be a game-changer.  I'm actually not sure if anything is planned, but if there were fully armored, or full iron/steel armed enemies it would help offset the Steel Supremecy that we dwarves have always enjoyed. 

EDIT:
Derp, that'll teach me not to read the official site; apparently all my super-original ideas have already been on the devlog, right at the very bottom of the page
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:43:17 pm by Xen0n »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

Another "bug" is that all metal items take 1 bar.  Furniture is supposed to need 3 bars, and weapons and armor take several
The fix for that bug is going to be especially painful with Adamantine wafers (to which your following example is restricted):
with a breastplate taking as much as 9 bars to construct.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 04:47:33 pm »

Anyway, nothing Toady can throw my way can break me, but they'll certainly change the way I play the game.
What about tunneling enemies, combined with dwarves becoming paranoid of the "When I pull this, all my friends/limbs are burned and melted to death by magma" lever?

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

Anyway, nothing Toady can throw my way can break me, but they'll certainly change the way I play the game.
What about tunneling enemies, combined with dwarves becoming paranoid of the "When I pull this, all my friends/limbs are burned and melted to death by magma" lever?

"No one even considered pulling to lever to such a cursed death-trap this season."

Urist McUseless cancelled Pull Lever: Too Paranoid

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »

I´m not worried about changes in trading, food production or monsters that make the game harder, I´m worried that the game will not play at all because there are too many features.

Same here.   Already, FPS is killing the game for me... and I really don't like the idea of capping number of dorfs to small numbers like one or two hundred.   Just had to abandon a fort of only 110 dorfs due to FPS issues.  I will plan from the beginning on my next fort in order to avoid these problems for as long as possible, but I am really wondering if Toady will ever be able to do much about it.

I guess if computers keep getting faster at historical rates (i.e., exponential, but I think that has levelled off now, hasn't it?) we might be okay in the long run.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:27 pm »

What's gonna break me?
Economy.
It's complicated enough to manage in real life. *shudders*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »

What's gonna break me?
Economy.
It's complicated enough to manage in real life. *shudders*

That reminds me (Apart from how much I hate dealing with humanbucks in Real Life), I'm so caught up in the global economy I totally forgot about the intrafort Dwarfconomy.  Not having been around in the 40d days, I don't know what I'm in for, but I imagine having to deal with even more claimed owned items cluttering up everything and managing room values etc. will totally change how I make a fort, whether I can have dedicated haulers still survive on a low salary etc.  That's a big one.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 05:28:04 pm »

Far as supply and demand goes, couldn't you just disable your civ's ability to create a high value object such as a Giant Axe Blade, start a fort, and then edit an existing reaction to produce said item as well? Make Coke, get a Steel Giant Axe Blade. 

You are now your civilization's sole supplier of that product. The high value insures that your dwarves can purchase a lot with each individual object while avoiding flooding the market with said good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11