Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19915 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:51 pm »

Bring it on I say. All my fortresses roll fine with solid craft-trading, giving me access to huge amounts of food and alcohol. I really appreciate making trading more harder.

As for necromancers....guess I gotta make some security measures for refuse pile.
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hm.

Pump that pumps magma from first reservoir into a second, smaller one, refuse pile in a pit.  Magma-proof floodgates installed, so that when they open the magma washes over refuse pile, eventually leading into a magma-safe grate to falls back into the first one?
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

Bonus points if you link the refuse stockpile room lock system AND the magma flood gate to 1 lever.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 01:23:25 pm »

It's only a matter of time that the dragon corpse you dumped into magma rises as a skeletal horror because you forgot that dragon corpses don't burn in magma. At least I'm 99% sure they didn't.

Anyway, nothing Toady can throw my way can break me, but they'll certainly change the way I play the game. No more stone trinkets for everything.

I just hope the market demands change a bit faster than I dread. So starting a new fort doesn't require you to sit on your ass for a few years for demand to pick up because your last fort produced so much crap that by the time it fell to an unfortunate tantrum spiral, it produced 90% of the goods for the entire world.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »

Eh, I'll probably just up the metal bars created by reactions to even things out. It's ridiculous to require three metal bars to do the same job that can be accomplished by one log or stone and moreso when the default ore veins are less common than 40d.

Plus I'll probably just import armor (unless I get a Legendary Armorsmith via Strange Mood) and have my dwarves layer it. Far as supply and demand goes, that probably won't be too much of an issue so long as your forts are far enough away from your civ that the local resources are non-existent back home.

The necromancer business just means that I'll create a dump site over a pit with Spike Traps at the bottom. That or I'll start lining the edge of the map with walls and cage traps to make sure I get that Necromancer when he shows up.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »

I hope the Necromancers get [TRAP_IMMUNE] and some other perks. I remember the disappointment when my very first dragon fell victim to a wooden cage...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 01:33:26 pm »

Now making armor will take about 6 times as much metal, so I'm going to need more iron. Goblinite reserves aren't high enough... I may need to tap Humanium.

Ahhhh, the humanity...

The economy will probably mess with me a bit since I tend to entirely avoid the textile industry.

Any furniture I would want to make out of metal (gold, silver, platinum or aluminum) I can carve out of the ore and it will have the same value. Iron and steel furniture would still be a problem. And using more bars to make bins to get rid of the excess bars of crap metal is fine by me.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »

I just hope the market demands change a bit faster than I dread. So starting a new fort doesn't require you to sit on your ass for a few years for demand to pick up because your last fort produced so much crap that by the time it fell to an unfortunate tantrum spiral, it produced 90% of the goods for the entire world.

If that ends up being an issue, you could always start and immediately abandon a few forts in a row off in some unused corner of the world map.  Each time will advance the world through 1 year, so you could lessen any effect from your previous forts.

I hope the Necromancers get [TRAP_IMMUNE] and some other perks. I remember the disappointment when my very first dragon fell victim to a wooden cage...

Hopefully cage traps in general could get toned down a bit.  Maybe adding a chance to miss dependent on mechanism quality, like weapon traps?  We require more FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 01:48:31 pm »

Actually, reclaiming a fort will advance a year as well.  But yeah, I'm mostly hoping that demand "resets" when a fort dies.  It'll be rough trying to start in a saturated market.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Actually, reclaiming a fort will advance a year as well.  But yeah, I'm mostly hoping that demand "resets" when a fort dies.  It'll be rough trying to start in a saturated market.
Or maybe since the fort died, all of the sudden no-ones getting the things they need because the world's producers went out of business. Imagine if China took a turn for the worse and everyone in the country killed themselves somehow. The world would suddenly become very expensive, very quickly.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »

If supply and demand kick in, the rough part will be needing my beekeeps and cheese-makers.

I'm still having trouble coordinating stockpiling and throughput, and on a map without iron I need all the trade I can get.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 01:54:47 pm »

Hopefully cage traps in general could get toned down a bit.  Maybe adding a chance to miss dependent on mechanism quality, like weapon traps?  We require more FUN!
Traps are low priority. This is what I'm hoping to be added next:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
-Hauling Improvements
I would give all the necromancy secrets in every generated world EVER in exchange for the ability to carry more than 1 item at a time...

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »

It's only a matter of time that the dragon corpse you dumped into magma rises as a skeletal horror because you forgot that dragon corpses don't burn in magma. At least I'm 99% sure they didn't.
Shouldn't skeletons be weak to warhammers anyway?

I mean that's the way I see it.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 01:57:31 pm »

Or maybe since the fort died, all of the sudden no-ones getting the things they need because the world's producers went out of business. Imagine if China took a turn for the worse and everyone in the country killed themselves somehow. The world would suddenly become very expensive, very quickly.

Definitely.  Especially with all the people hoarding guns and cans of beans and mass worker strikes and cult protests because EVERYONE IN CHINA KILLED THEMSELVES

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Traps are low priority. This is what I'm hoping to be added next:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
-Hauling Improvements
I would give all the necromancy secrets in every generated world EVER in exchange for the ability to carry more than 1 item at a time...

Heck, I'd settle just for having dwarves pick the closest haulable item and nearest stockpile, instead of the current method of:
1)  Trekking all the way to the bottom of the map for a peice of Granite, past a bunch of other stones,
2)  Carrying it all the way back up to the topmost stone pile while passing a bunch of stone stockpiles.

Hauling could definitely use a lot of help right now :(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:04:36 pm by Xen0n »

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 02:46:01 pm »

Eh. I usually embark on a volcano if one exists in my world, whether I need to mod the aquifer out or not. Speaking of, those damned things will work wonders against tunneling enemies, as will simple walls of water.

Assuming other entities are "smart" enough to stop digging once they find damp stone...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 02:52:17 pm »

Considering, but haven't got the beards yet: No bridges. (!)

I really hope you mean just no using bridges to block entrances or atomsmash enemies. I use bridges all the time in waterworks.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11