Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: The changes that will break you  (Read 19893 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
The changes that will break you
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:57 am »

I've recently realized, some, that DF is currently in fairly "easy mode" as it were.  There's going to be changes and fixes that are going to really mess up a lot of forts.  Some impending ones are things like necromancers, which will cause open pit goblin body dumps to become a serious security hazard.  Further along, perhaps sooner than we think, the caravans will start applying supply and demand, and that endless pile of rock crafts will be literally worthless.  A varied and high-quality production will be needed to maintain supply lines.  Prepared meals will likely get nerfed hard by supply and demand.  Another "bug" is that all metal items take 1 bar.  Furniture is supposed to need 3 bars, and weapons and armor take several, with a breastplate taking as much as 9 bars to construct.

When bars and trade get touched up, you may find yourself severely lacking wealth and even more severely lacking armor, and then facing off against 5 sieges' worth of skeletal goblins at once.

What do you think will shatter your fort?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: The changes that will break you
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:27 am »

Named skeletal former-zombie giant badgers with a title.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:09:41 am »

Probably the corpse-piles I keep around in my forts. Or infiltrated vampires.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:20:01 am »

Not knowing your legendary axelord became a were-badger during that last skirmish, until he's in the dining hall with everyone else and Odom Avuzshed, Axelord has become enraged!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:27:56 am »

Difficulty increase = more losing
Losing = Fun
Problem?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:56 am »

I burn all my bodies, so that's fine. Infact, I'll probably make a goblin body pit once .26 comes out.

Trade will still be easy, you just need to manufacture more than one good. Spam mugs, then meals, then mechanisms, and then crafts, then... so on. Until the original item is back at acceptable levels.

It's the metal that might mess me up. Now making armor will take about 6 times as much metal, so I'm going to need more iron. Goblinite reserves aren't high enough... I may need to tap Humanium.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:52 am »

I'm looking forward to necromancers.  I'm tempted to let one have the run of my fortress just once to see how many of the 800+  dwarf corpses he can call up.  Or if necromancy becomes a profession, I'll make my undead army march right into the HFS and take it for myself.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:08 am »

Oh, everybody's looking forward to necromancers. I've been wondering if it's going to be possible to capture one, and use it to produce industrial quantities of zombie goblins/badgers/monkeys...  Bonus points for repelling a goblin siege with just dead goblins.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:45 am »

I think you're right on with the 'easy mode.'  It seems the true challenge of DF is in learning how to play, which I apparently lost out on a bit with my
[PRONE_TO_WIKI:100].  I've actually been actively trying to compensate for these "easy parts" as I find them, to try and release my inner dwarf.  Changes include:

¤   Using (an updated version of) the Seasonal Crops mod to make crops only grow once a year to cut down on foodspam.
¤   'Fixing' the 1 bar per metal object issue, at least for weapons and armor.  Takes 3 bars for a breastplate, among other changes.
¤   Overseer Xenon has issued a new ban on exports!  Exporting of Food, Trap Components, Mechanisms prohibited. (Considering changing this to ONLY allowing Crafts as exports and trying to see if I can edit the caravan prices too EDIT: Turns out I failed.)
¤   Danger Rooms: Nope. 

Considering, but haven't got the beards yet: No bridges. (!)

I'm eagerly awaiting anything to up the ante.  What seems to be the biggest me-breaker will be sapping/tunneling/siege engine building enemies, if they ever come to be.  That will be excellent, as it'll totally change the current "wall yourself in and you're safe" mindset.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:58:03 pm by Xen0n »

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:53:10 am »

Necromancer Dwarf, with zombie haulers, hmmm...

Anyway, what might break me is a lack of FPS-helping changes.

I´m not worried about changes in trading, food production or monsters that make the game harder, I´m worried that the game will not play at all because there are too many features.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »

The usual state of my forts is that the area at my doorstep is carpeted with corpses and battle paraphernalia. I am certainly going to let a necromancer stroll along and raise everything, just to see how bad it can get.

I'm definitely going to have make a 'vanilla' version of my modded race, these updates are fantastic.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »

Probably the metal bar bit.  I've gotten in a bad habit of not bothering with metal production until I can get a magma pump stack going, and I always hated the multi-bar demands of 40d.  (It's probably the main reason I fell in love with glass a long time ago.)
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 12:18:38 pm »

Rust.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:14 pm »

Bring it on I say. All my fortresses roll fine with solid craft-trading, giving me access to huge amounts of food and alcohol. I really appreciate making trading more harder.

As for necromancers....guess I gotta make some security measures for refuse pile.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »

Bring it on I say. All my fortresses roll fine with solid craft-trading, giving me access to huge amounts of food and alcohol. I really appreciate making trading more harder.

As for necromancers....guess I gotta make some security measures for refuse pile.
MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11