Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Megaproject idea:  (Read 3100 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject idea:
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »

Prob is clowns fly so that would mean sealing it up tight :P

Do I get bonus points if I cast it out of obsidian?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »

Yes. You do.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 03:33:28 pm »

Yes. You do.

But how to power a pair of 270z pump stacks?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 03:50:14 pm »

That'll work, I could build a series of water reactors in the lowest levels of the tower.  Or use a map that has a river and build a water wheel tower down the the lowest cavern level and pipe the water out of the caves like that, which would produce a much lower maintainance power source.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 04:53:44 pm »

You do realize that in the advanced worldgen settings you can set an arbitrary amount of air above the ground? As well as which caves are there, how big they are and how many levels there is in between them?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

You do realize that in the advanced worldgen settings you can set an arbitrary amount of air above the ground? As well as which caves are there, how big they are and how many levels there is in between them?

You should really try reading the thread.

You can set the "levels above ground" from 1 to 100 in advanced worldgen.  However, you MAY be able to directly edit the worldgen.txt and set it higher.  To my knowledge, no one has tested this.  Directly editing the file can allow for greater temperatures and longer worldgen, with one person genning a 100,000 year world (normal max is 10,000).  So, it's worth a try, it may give you some extra headroom.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »

You might check out CastleObscure http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92843.0 - a 40x40 150z level chunk of obsidian waiting to be carved...

Note, I had nothing to do with this wonderful thing, just forwarding on information.

(and yes,  i did have to search back 10 pages to find the reference).

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »

I'll see if that'll do.  It would involve stripping the world down to the third cavern layer, though.  And removing the burning skeletons.   No way to remove the outermost 1 wide rim of stone around the whole thing, is there?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 07:27:00 am »

More bonus points if you create an artifact ring, worth more than the shire everything else ever made.

Wait, the mithril shirt was worth more than the shire... Not the ring...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:06 pm »

I was never a huge fan of Tolkien, much of his style is dry and almost pastoral, like reading from an old bible, so I don't much remember it from the one time I did read it just to say "fine, I read it already".  But, wikipedia agrees that Tolkien didn't describe it very much, simply saying "it is vast" and such.  Shows how great a writer he is, huh?  Leaving it up for the reader to fill in ALL the details...  Still, the few descriptive lines say something along the lines of

I can see you're no fan... must give counter-opinion, in order to restore the balance.

I guess I see what you mean about the style being somewhat dry, but I interpret it more as epic.  I read the trilogy four times, long before the movie came out, and then again after the first movie.  Although I admit I skipped most of the songs and poems, I loved the book every time.  I think the style is perfect for what he was trying to do.  He set out to write an entire mythology, sufficiently detailed to instill the illusion of actual history, and I think he succeeded.

Come to think of it, I think there are similarities between Tolkien and Toady, at least in term of their work.  For example, they are both distinguished in their crafts for going far beyond the norm in the detail and complexity of their creations.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:45 pm »

Stripping the world down at least to Caverns 3 would seem to be in order to get more z-levels, though you might not have to strip away (or even breach) the caverns if you gen a world with max "levels above surface" and "Levels before layer 1" and embark on a volcano (mount Doom?) to get your magma.  You could build out of obsidian blocks, using sourced water and a short magma pump stack or volcano-vent to repeatedly mine out an obsidian farm, rather than casting and mining the whole thing: means you couldn't engrave it, but the constructed walls/floor might be a little easier to get off the ground and would eat your FPS less than a many-hundred-z pump stack.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »

The movie moved the tower around to make it visible from multiple locations, as there's a mountain range in between the tower and Mount Doom. The books never state exactly how tall the tower was, just that it was tall enough to be held up with magic.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »

Balrogs don't have wings.
Shows how great a writer he is, huh?  Leaving it up for the reader to fill in ALL the details...
What's wrong with that?

The imagination is far more powerful than words or images can describe.
And I always imagined balrogs to be the Demon--horns, on fire, wings, black skin, glowey red eyes, the works.

In a feeble attempt to remain on-topic, try something...dwarfier. Farthen Dur (from Eragon, city in a giant volcano shell, smaller "city-mountain" made of marbe, etc) comes to mind, but finding a big enough mountain to put it in, even if you let artificial mining hollow it out, and making the Isidar Mithrim (big star sapphire, "dragon stables," had a huge spiral staircase running down next to it, etc...)will be major problems, not to mention hollowing out the mountain and importing all of that marble...ideas?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 09:01:02 pm »

If you have a sufficiently powerful computer, you could try a larger embark, covering part of a mountain range.  If you make it cover a couple of biomes, your chances of finding marble may go up.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 [2] 3