Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be in fortress mode or modding?

Modding
- 1 (4.2%)
DF Fortress Mode
- 15 (62.5%)
Community Games and Stories
- 8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: My little Necro: Fortress is Magma [Spoilers]  (Read 114560 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My little Necro: Friendship is Magma
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2011, 07:01:59 am »

I have heavily debated how to do an adventure fort of Aperture.  Since I've recently discovered that I am Cave Johnson, I've been debating what modding would be needed to get a similar effect.  My end conclusion was to make floodgates into ═ via replacing the symbols, and doors into ║, in this way you can replace a N/S wall with a door, and it will visually blend together, as long as the player doesn't "l"ook at the wall and realize that one part is a door and another is actual wall.  Hatches can also be made into + to be visually identical to a floor.  Or using wall/floor grates for the same purpose.  This has obvious limitations, but DOES allow a certain degree of visual abuse on the modder's part.  Not to mention that a custom workshop can look like any tile it wants to, and could be made to look exactly like a wall or floor, but behave slightly differently.  Further abuse with temperature and magma-under-floor heating can yield interesting results.

But I digress:
CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SCIENCE INNOVATORS YAY~

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2011, 08:16:50 am »

Speaking of which, Necro910 has modded in Aperture turrets and some other such things, such as Cave Johnson (you may not want it though: he is a slade humanoid (that throws burning lemons))

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

At first I saw this thread and scoffed, because it was more ponies. Then I realized they're EVERYWHERE. So I read this thread, and it was an interesting read. There's decent bits of conversation floating about, and it's actually somewhat enjoyable. So having seen this, I took a leap of faith, and watched the My Little Pony cartoon.

I was wrong. This show is great. Rainbow Dash is a pretty fun little pony.
I guess I'm stuck now.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:04 am »

At first I saw this thread and scoffed, because it was more ponies. Then I realized they're EVERYWHERE. So I read this thread, and it was an interesting read. There's decent bits of conversation floating about, and it's actually somewhat enjoyable. So having seen this, I took a leap of faith, and watched the My Little Pony cartoon.

I guess I'm stuck now.

That's basically what happened to me. I still haven't finished season 1, mostly due to the open ridicule I get from my parents and one of my brothers (I actually managed to convert the other one) which is sort of funny but mostly annoying. It really is addictive, though.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

Speaking of which, Necro910 has modded in Aperture turrets and some other such things, such as Cave Johnson (you may not want it though: he is a slade humanoid (that throws burning lemons))
Yup. Turrets and cubes and everything.

The turrets are a tad bugged (They have issues firing and such. No sharp bullets are possible. But I do have a rare caste of) and the Cave Johnson is a slade humanoid that hurls burning lemons and rules the HFS. There's some other lil things in there too, but I haven't looked at that thread in months.

Moving on,

I guess I'm stuck now.
D-D-D-DOUBLE KILL!

I didn't bother reading it, but a friend did and she described it as "rather expected horror".  It's sort of, 'You know that someone's going to be cut up and baked.  And that's what happens."  Compared to everything DF, cupcakes isn't so bad.  This was my friend who never played DF and just went off my retellings, who said 'this doesn't compare to the most conservative of forts'.

The way I execute, it normally ends up like cupcakes. Extremely slow, painful, and full of puns.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

That's basically what happened to me. I still haven't finished season 1, mostly due to the open ridicule I get from my parents and one of my brothers (I actually managed to convert the other one) which is sort of funny but mostly annoying. It really is addictive, though.

I'm nearly done with season 1, this cartoon is just well written. I don't understand why it's so fascinating though. Help me.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2011, 10:15:28 am »

When you read one of the most famous torture stories around, and the first thing you think is "Wow, she has no skill", you need to see a psychiatrist. NOW.

After reading Cupcakes, I must point something out.

There was no actual torture involved. It was more of a story about... disassembly. You can't complain someone isn't good at torture, if they aren't trying to torture anyone.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2011, 10:22:24 am »

When you read one of the most famous torture stories around, and the first thing you think is "Wow, she has no skill", you need to see a psychiatrist. NOW.

After reading Cupcakes, I must point something out.

There was no actual torture involved. It was more of a story about... disassembly. You can't complain someone isn't good at torture, if they aren't trying to torture anyone.
Either way, she doesn't know how to carve flesh. She isn't a good butcher or a good torturer. Sure, Dash is passing out from pain, and  Pinkamina is getting her meat, but the hides aren't intact! When she was removing the wing, she should have snipped the tendon with the knife, then cut out the wing. With a kitchen knife she could have popped the damn thing right out.

If she was going for PAIN however... she would have used less zapping and more slicing. Electrocution burns out nerves, so Dash would feel LESS pain afterwards. If she was going to pull out the ol' chair, she should have used it as a finale. Also, more blunt objects would be preferable, so Dash loses less blood.

An unconscious person ain't a sufferin' person, eh? HahAHHHHH....

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:27 am »

That thread also reminds me that I shouldn't even think about watching that damn cartoon.
Oh, I don't doubt it's good and addictive.
That's why I don't want to watch it.
I want to keep a somewhat healthy life, without additional drug.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:12:38 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2011, 10:46:01 am »

That thread also reminds me that I shouldn't even think about watching that damn cartoon.
Oh, I don't doubt it's and addictive.
U |\|33|) |\/|0R3 |+0|\|Y5

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2011, 10:47:56 am »

Oh, I don't doubt it's and addictive.
U |\|33|) |\/|0R3 |+0|\|Y5

The ponies are your friends. They want to make you happy. Just give them a chance.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2011, 11:02:57 am »

It's really not as bad as most people (mostly homophobes from what I can see) make it out to be. Spike's probably my favorite, but all of them thar dwarf horses are pretty cool, too.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

BowlSoldier

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't **** with the Great Long Axe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2011, 11:24:30 am »

There's.... season two is out?!

*BowlSoldier sprints off to youtube, leaving a cloud of dust in his wake.*

Anyway, nice fortress. Looking forward to seeing you slaughter your way through the demonic ponies you will no doubt soon find. May I recommend large-scale applications of baked goods?
Campaigning for wheelchair rights for legless adventurers since 1995.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2011, 11:45:03 am »

There's.... season two is out?!

*BowlSoldier sprints off to youtube, leaving a cloud of dust in his wake.*

Anyway, nice fortress. Looking forward to seeing you slaughter your way through the demonic ponies you will no doubt soon find. May I recommend large-scale applications of baked goods?
CUPCAKES?

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:54 pm »

It's really not as bad as most people (mostly homophobes from what I can see) make it out to be. Spike's probably my favorite, but all of them thar dwarf horses are pretty cool, too.

I've actually seen very little in terms of people hating on it and for the internet that tells you something.  The writing, animation and voice acting are all good and for a show ostensibly aimed at little girls, it's fairly mature and missing a lot of the PINK FRILLS you typically see in things aimed at that audience.  The ponies and the plots are both relatively androgynous as well.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38