Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?  (Read 3887 times)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. I started playing it when it came out (year of 2002) and I replayed that game more than 10 times. I still think about that game, say "Hey, I should totally start playing Morrowind again!" to myself and play it again like every year

Hmmm. It's been almost 2 years since I played that game. I wonder what kind of mods people made for it since my last character...

I should try the Tribunal expansion pack too. Hope it's as good as Bloodmoon.

Yeah. Most addicting game ever :D

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »

TF2. It's been four months(ish) since it's become free to play, and I still feel the urge to play it. I've literally dumped hundreds of hours into that game.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 04:54:27 pm »

IL2 Sturmovik: 1946. Best $10 I ever spent... started playing 6 years ago, never really stopped. I play pretty much every day for one hour or so. I use it to relax, and don't really need anything else. If you join a squadron, it just keeps getting better and better. If you're interested in joining a squadron that does mostly torpedo bombing, has young and old guys, WWII aficionados and whatevers', pros and newbies, and none of that ultra-serious military stuff, think about CVW-13 (send me a PM) ;)

Just yesterday we did 6 plane double-vic formations, and sank a carrier in two runs, laughing the entire way. I could barely keep my position from how much I was laughing!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, Alpha Centauri, XCom, Guild Wars.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »

-DF
-Minecraft
-Neverwinter Nights
-Warcraft III (+TFT and custom maps...  oh gods, over a thousand hours)
-Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas mostly, the MP mods were neat; though IV is getting up there)
-Civilization 5 (just...  one... more...  turn...  What?  It's 4AM?  Goddamnit.)
-ARMA
-Rigs of Rods (but oh so many bugs   :-\)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »

In terms of time spent playing, I've probably booked the most hours in City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Oblivion, and Team Fortress 2.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:51 pm »

Yeah, the regular campaign's a total snooze. Download user-made modules instead. Go to nwvault.ign.com, find the top-rated mods for Neverwinter Nights 1, and download away.

You also probably will have to download a thing called the CEP, which is pretty large. It's a graphics pack a lot of mods use.

Some of them won't suit you, but you can usually tell by about an hour of playtime.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 10:38:58 pm »

Starcon 2, X-COM, Doom II, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, X-Wing: Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Microsoft Flight Simulator (with certain challenges and good planes; and especially Captain Slug's collection), Ace Combat 4, Air Force Delta Strike, Age of Empires 2: Conquerors, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Final Fantasy 4, 6, 7, X, XII and Dissidia, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Super Meat Boy, Fallout 1, and currently Fallout 3.

I also clocked in a decent amount of hours working on my megaproject in DF and doing experiments relevant to the project to make sure it all ties together well.

As for classics, I would say Zelda games qualify, along with Super Bomberman with siblings,  we can also include the classic Sonic games on the list. Master of Orion and Civilization took a good deal of my time.

EDIT:
Damn, forgot to include Uplink as well. I had to stop playing after I found a way to so thoroughly destroy the game, it borders on cruelly insane.

Simply put, I hack into Uplink Database, get all the names of the Uplink agents, seize their assets (or empty their bank accounts) get them arrested, and then modify their social security to mark them as "Deceased" while they're imprisoned. Yeah, no kill like overkill.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:13:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 10:55:00 pm »

I've probably sunk hundreds of hours into DF, Lots of time in Civ 3-5 (especially mods for 4), I have over 200 hours on the Mount and blade games, Fallout 3 and vegas, Oblivion I don't even want to know, EU3, Stalker SOC, and all the games in the total war series. Oh and recently, space pirates and zombies and deus ex human revolution.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »

One game that really got me was Uplink. I found it really immersive to the point of causing me stress at times.
Uplink has to be one of the most immersive games I've ever played. The only other game where I've felt so immersed that my entire being was in fear of what could happen is probably battleground europe. There's not much like the intensity of trying to outrace a trace when everything is at stake.
Addictive, I'm not as sure. I've put in at least a thousand hours in europa universalis, probably, and I think that's the most of any game.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:24 am »

One game that really got me was Uplink. I found it really immersive to the point of causing me stress at times.
Uplink has to be one of the most immersive games I've ever played. The only other game where I've felt so immersed that my entire being was in fear of what could happen is probably battleground europe. There's not much like the intensity of trying to outrace a trace when everything is at stake.
Addictive, I'm not as sure. I've put in at least a thousand hours in europa universalis, probably, and I think that's the most of any game.
Surely immersive. Not very addictive though. You really start to feel like a hacker and get in the mood. I played it while I was in a dark room and the only light was coming from the monitor. I was listening to some techno and electronic kind of music and I was drinking cola. I was totally like "Let's hack some shit up d00ds" (Yes. I know nothing about being a hacker)

Got boring after a while.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 05:32:52 am »

Doom I and Doom II.

6 years on and I still play them
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 06:20:29 am »

There are lot of great games i have played, but on the addiction factor, forever lasting appeal and replayabilty :

Operation Flashpoint, probably the game i have played the most since 2001 , always have it installed and always often launch it to play a skirmish with the more than excellent mission editor and the billions of mods and addons available. Talk about addiction.
While it's less immersive now after all those years, it was incredible the first months of playing the campaign, but it's always fun and addictive to play it even if there are more visually reworked sequels with the arma serie.

More recently discovered, M&B : Warband has been rather addicting too, great medieval warfare game with lots of sandbox gameplay. Battles can be very immersive too especially when you try the 1st person view, you nearly feel the cavalry charging you when you're on foot.
Mods gets it a big replayability boost too.

Ghost Recon, the original one and its great expansion, immersive when you're stuck into a firefight , very tactical (though your squad AI is much less efficient at using the terrain than the enemy AI) and with the mission editor and the many many mods and campaigns, it's always replayable even now.

Orbiter, can't get away from this one even after playing it for a few years, that's addiction,and the simulation is so well done that the immersion is definitively there (especially in ships that feature a 3D virtual cockpits). I just love it, gigantic addons database and sandbox feel makes sure you're not going to ever stop playing it definitively, especially if you like space simulation.

WinSP:MBT , that's a wargame so obviously immersion is rather null. But the immense content, the nearly infinite replayability and the real fun you can get from it if you like the TBS wargaming genre make it very addictive for any grognard wanting to get into post-ww2 settings wargaming.
And i always can't believe it's free.

Master of Orion 1&2 , fabulous 4X games, both having very different gameplay makes sure i can't just replace one for another, each time i launch one of them, i feel compelled to play until the game end, "just one more turn" is extremely true for them.
I really wonder if one day there will be a space 4X that will really compete with them in term of lasting interest. It's been so many years i am playing these without being bored.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 06:39:34 am »

Runescape was, for a time. If we're going by genres:

Racing: GeneRally, a freeware game- held me in for many years. Also, Star Wars Episode One Racer and San Francisco Rush 2049 for the N64...

RPG: Final Fantasy VI, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (yes, that's more of a sandboxer though)

Fighter: Street Fighter III: Third Strike: Fight for the Future - I play that even now, a lot, having owned it for a while.

Other:
Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress... though Dwarf Fortress would have to win out of every game i've played for sheer immersiveness and depth.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:50 am »

Used to live a breathe a flight sim called Aces High, damn near ruined my education but with the hours I racked up there (around 15k over 6 years) I probably could fly a plane.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:59:38 am by zombat »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4