Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?  (Read 3886 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »

Star Control 2 was really hard to put down. I can always think of some crazy shit to try in Fallout: New Vegas, especially with mods. I've also spent more time than I'd care to think of on Diablo II, vanilla and Eastern Sun mod.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »

I guess, if I had to pick one, probably Jagged Alliance 2. Which is sort of weird, considering on its own/without mods it's actually kind of a shitty game.

Well not really, in its day it was astonishingly good. But the 1.13 mod really brings it to life, doesn't it?
Also pretty much what other people have said: Morrowind, Rome: Total War, Diablo. Also Transformice. The stats tell me I've played 43,236 rounds in it; with one round being about a minute that's 720 hours. And that's just a free flash game, most triple-A titles with a $50 price tag don't give you a tenth of that these days.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »

games that you realize you've been playing for 8 hours
and think "that's not too bad" and keep going.

I played Ultima 3 so much my parents once considered taking it away becaues I didn't want to leave the house. I was probably 8 or so at the time.

But, Kyrandia 2: Hand of fate was probably the first game that I ever played until I went to sleep, then woke up, resumed playing until I went to sleep again.

But of all games ever, WoW has probably consumed the greatest total number of hours of my life. I had one character with something like 120 days /played. That's not "I played for 120 days." That's 24 hours * 120 days = 2880 hours of gameplay. One character. And I had several character. None with that much play time on them, but having never added up all my individual character's /played times together, I'd guess my total WoW playtime was probably fairly close to 200 days /played. That's a bit less than 2% of my entire life spent playing one game.

Given that I started during Burning Crusade which was released in 2007, that works out to approximately 14% of my time over the past 4 years spent playing one particular game. But...of those four years, I was only actually playing for two of them, because I stopped playing about halway through WotLK, started up again for Cata, then stopped after several months. So, during the ~two years I had active accounts, I was averaging about 6.5 hours a day. For two years. Which, oddly, now that I do the math is much less than I expected. I was guessing it would be closer to 10 hours a day. I certainly remember enough weeks of playing 12-14 hours a day.

In any case, 6.5 hours a day for two years...WoW probably wins on that account. However, looking over some other posts in the thread:

Civilization
Europa Universalis
Angband
Diablo
Hellmoo
Master of Orion
Morrowind
Dwarf Fortress
X-Com: UFO Defence.
Star Control 2

I've played all of these. Some of them I've played through multiple times. And some of them I've played multiple games in their series. WoW is definitely the singlemost game I've played, but I don't think I've played it more than every other game I've played. Between moria, angband, ToME, DBT, Cthangband, etc. it's possible I've spent more sheer hours playing even just roguelikes than WoW. I only spent two years playing WoW. I've been playing roguelikes for most of my life.

*shrug*

<-- is a gamer

I'd be curious to see a /played count for all my gaming hours of all games combined.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:26:16 pm by LordBucket »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »

Disgaea nuff said.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »

TF2 before it got stupid.

Edit:  I actually really played a lot of fallout 3 as well.  I don't normally replay games, but that one I played like 5 or 6 times.  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:03:12 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 10:48:13 pm »

Terraria with friends.

I feel so deprived, I've never played any of the games mentioned bedsides Disgaea and DF.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:22 pm »

Oh yea, neverwinter nights and DF are also big offenders in this aspect xP
I played NWN 1 to death, except shadow of undrentide, the vanilla and hordes of the underdark campaign were just better.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 11:28:02 pm »

Well I did spend a lot of time with NWN, but apart from HotU the official campaigns were crap. Some of the user-made ones were absolutely epic, though.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:34 am »

In my adult life.. I would probably say either Oblivion or Fallout NV.

When I was a kid, I sunk endless hours playing Ultima 7.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:18 am »

Well, GalCiv2 was a truly massive timesink for close to a month for me. In terms of immersion, Bastion, Homeworld and FFIV were all really great. In terms of sheer time spent playing, I've got to confess that it was Halo 3. I must have had at least 2000 hours on that. The matchmaking was meh, but when it came to Forge mode and custom games with friends, I spent pretty much all my free time hanging out in one lobby or another with friends both online and real for close to 4 years. Between the random customs, matchmaking, making obsessively detailed maps, and trolling the crap out of a clan of asshats, I spent ungodly amounts of time on that game. Other games have done almost everything better, but what H3 got so right was the ease with which you could hook up with some friends and spend a few (dozen) hours seamlessly shifting from matchmaking to Tremors to zombies to dicking around with spinning tanks in Forge to pissing off a bunch of twelve year olds by spawncamping them. I can honestly say that, in terms of overall satisfaction, I would rate Halo 3 as the best game I have ever played, simply because of how much fun I had with it (which is the point of games, after all, neh?).

What a shock though, am I right?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 01:02:26 am »

Super Mario Kart -SNES- as a kid.
Civilization 3. hundreds of hours. Far better than shoddy civ 4, especially the expansions.
Mount and Blade - original- hundreds of hours. I just got the two new ones.
Morrowind>>>>>Oblivion but lots of both.
NWN Both solo and Multiplayer:  Any of ya ever meet Chara Rift the violent and destructive cleric of Sune? Free summoned dragons wrecking the town.  And death beams from space.
DF: Though I tend to not lose for some odd reason. I think I play to carefully.
Guild Wars, albeit I was playing it to try and hook up with a girl who wanted me to play. Was trying for an entirely different kind of "grinding"
Pokemon Red... massive massive crapload of time as a kid.
Ogre Battle 64 over 100 hours.  I feel Gallent. I still remember that Walter, my dragoon, was 20 levels higher than anyone else.

All of the above saw 100+ hours of play.

Most rpgs are at far less.
Current games that deserve more excessive play.
Mount and blade warband.
Mount and blade fire and sword
The world ends with you
Persona 4: Which is way better than P3.  (Chie is the best!)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 01:13:46 am »

Whenever someone asks this question I immediately think of this. Because it's awesome, but also true. Civ 2 and 4 were two of the biggest offenders to me, where I'd start a game and all of a sudden it's 4 hours later.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:16:38 am by kinseti »

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 02:31:19 am »

Neverwinter Nights wouldn't even be on my list if it weren't for the user-made modules. That's what made it. Start up as many characters as you had in Diablo II, never have to grind the same place.

Bobbyloathesyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »

But, Kyrandia 2: Hand of fate was probably the first game that I ever played until I went to sleep, then woke up, resumed playing until I went to sleep again.

Oh, my god, I LOOOOOOOVE that series!!! I remember seeing someone playing KYRA 1 at OMSI once when I was a kid, and I played it myself a few years later, and I fell in love!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:10 pm »

Lots of N64 and SNES games really sucked me in as a child. More than most or even any games these days. I think it was because I was a child more than anything. I'm not going to make a big list.

One game that really got me was Uplink. I found it really immersive to the point of causing me stress at times.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4