Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?  (Read 3889 times)

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »

Every once in a while there's a game you discover and you just can't stop playing it for a while. Those games that you realize you've been playing for 8 hours and think "that's not too bad" and keep going.

I think for me, HellMOO was the most initially addictive game. It filled my free time for about two weeks. If I wasn't out doing something important, I would play HellMOO. I don't know what it is about that game, but I'm still drawn into it every few months. I get bored pretty quick with it but I guess it's the hope that it will be as good as the first time that makes me want to keep playing.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most addictive/immersive game you've ever played?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:57:01 pm »

I get one or two of those once every few years. The ones I remember off the top of my head are morrowind, shadow of the colossus, and, well, hellmoo. Hellmoo is absurdly addictive once you get into it. Too bad it tends to fall off later with all the grinding and unfinished stuff. I started again a month or so ago, but the multiple server issues with hatemoo were just too annoying to keep playing :I
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »

I'm always apprehensive about starting up Dwarf Fortress, because I know as soon as I get into it that's what I'll be doing until 3 AM.

Also, Civilizations 4 and 5 and Europa Universalis III are hugely fun timesucks.

Bobbyloathesyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

For me, I don't think I've ever played a game longer, and at absolutely every opportunity available than Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for PS2, game is UNBELIEVEABLE.

As far as PC goes, I'd probably have to go with Morrowind. There's so many posibilities to do, I played that game FOREVER and never beat it once cause I always got sidetracked doing other stuff on the way to my "next main quest" item.

And I STILL play Angband.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »

For me, the clear winner for immersion: Planescape: Torment. I couldn't let that game go; even after I finished it, I thought about every day for months.

For addictive qualities: I've put hundreds of hours into Fallout:NV, Dwarf Fortress, EU III, and HOI III, Minecraft and Mount&Blade.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:05:47 pm »

Master of Orion, the original one. I was obsessed with it for a long while as a kid, it being first of its kind to me. 

Later, Planescape: Torment. The story and characters haunted me for a long while.

Lately I've been enjoying M&B WFaS a lot in multiplayer. I just wish they'd hone the rough edges away and balance it better...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »

Oblivion, probably. I dont want to know how many hours I played that game :(

But when it comes to hours played... oh god. Its between World of Tanks, Graal, and Warcraft 3. Months of time wasted between those three.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »

Graal

Holy shit, I remember playing that. Weird game. I don't remember ever actually understanding it, but it was like every server was a completely different game. Is it still around?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:05 pm »

I guess, if I had to pick one, probably Jagged Alliance 2. Which is sort of weird, considering on its own/without mods it's actually kind of a shitty game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 09:42:59 pm »

For maximum hours I would say FF11. In a year and a half, that's just the base game and one expansion, I probably logged around 3000 hours. A single level required at least 4 hours of grind once you hit about level 45+. I'm glad I got rid of that addiction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »

You mean, other than DF? ;) Probably Shadows of Isildur. (SoI) Shame Mordor's gone, now...
Oh, and Fallout 3 has eaten up a looot of time, too. Not sure what else.

Oh, and I used to play Graal! Good fun.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 09:49:40 pm »

Just looked up Graal, which reminded me that I looked it up like a year ago.

Deader than.. dead. People still play it, but they shouldn't.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »

Civ IV, Diablo II, DF, Neverwinter Nights, Disgaea, Rome: Total War. These have been the worst.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 09:55:05 pm »

Europa Universalis 3, Final Fantasy XII, Dwarf Fortress and X-Com: UFO Defence.
They started to collide~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4