Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soceity types, 2 new room ideas, 1 new economical Idea  (Read 1665 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soceity types, 2 new room ideas, 1 new economical Idea
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:10:32 pm »

I think that one thing I have to dislike about Dwarf fortress is there is only one type of economy - Shared (Everyone shares everything) but soon there will be more of those so no problem.  One of the things I dislike about shared is that everyone uses the same public rooms.

First would be Patriarchal/Matriarchal/even society types.

Second, The issue is that the only type of society is individual based, where the kids move out, no one stays together, like in America.  I think a good idea would be for families to stick together in a different Family based society.  Basically, rather than having each dwarf live on their own, in a family based society it would be added into a "Mansion" for the family.  For instance, if a family had kids, rather than them moving away from the home as soon as they aged they would stay close.  (As in many other places) so all that would happen is that they would request another bedroom in the mansion. (You would have no more than 7 families in a normal fort, so it won't be out of hand)

How to designate a mansion?  Simple, you build out a hallway.  You would be able to engrave family tablets which would designate the room as a hallway, and everything that is behind the family tablet would be considered to be the family mansion. (room 1)

How would this work together with the economy?  I believe that there has been a few economies proposed over time.

-Capitalism (like in the old DF)
The family would try to make the most money, and everything would be put into an awards room for the family (AKA treasury) so that they could admire their achievements.  (Room 2)  Every dwarf would do what you wanted them to still, like in .40d.

-Guilds (Being added according to dev log)
The families would be the guilds.  That simple.  Some of you may have read my guild economy idea a while back, so you get what I am saying.  Others probably know what guild based is, so no issue there.

-Family based
Basically every family would have a farmer, a craftsman, a mason, a ect... all would pay partial dues to you (a % of labor) that you can work with.  So if your labor percent is %20, that means that 1/5 months the mason worked they would help you build let's say barricades.  They would also have a family treasury.

-If I missed any economies, tell me.

So what you guys think about that?

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Soceity types, 2 new room ideas, 1 new economical Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 06:18:53 pm »

I actually like the idea of families sticking together, and this won't be to hard to code when he adds guilds because (at least it appears to me) it seems to be very similar to them. I think this will be nice to add in since he's already doing guilds.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »

This sounds interesting
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:48:40 am »

(You would have no more than 7 families in a normal fort, so it won't be out of hand)
Family stuff should get traced in world gen so migrants would have relatives in fort already (that means no more migrant atomsmashing). Otherwise a hundred dwarf fort can have ~50 families.
Also, could you elaborate  about patriarchal and matriarchal societies? We already have caste-specific nobles (though they're bugged). And considering vanilla dwarfs  I believe they should be strictly patriarchal (its medieval Europe fantasy after all).
And this:
-Family based
Basically every family would have a farmer, a craftsman, a mason, a ect... all would pay partial dues to you (a % of labor) that you can work with.  So if your labor percent is %20, that means that 1/5 months the mason worked they would help you build let's say barricades.  They would also have a family treasury.
Needs a lot more consideration. First, the servage measure would probably better be set like number of jobs per year, not an amount of time.
Second, what would they do after filling their quota anyway? It's not like dwarves are eversoon going to get rights to dig and build walls wherever they would like. Besides, masonry, mechanics and likes aren't of much use for any particular family. It probably would work if every family got their own burrow, size depending on number of family members and on their relationships with those in charge, place defined by player, with jobs outside that burrow counting towards quota.  Dwarves could refuse to perform any surplus work in case their family requires work related to their profession (for example: Uristian family require more bedrooms -> UristMcMiner, UristMcCarpenter, and UristMcmason refuse to continue working over quota until additional quarters for their family are built/dug and beds are placed). Each family could get it's own food stockpile as well and if it runs dry you'll need to mark some food from governmental reserves to be transferred to them in order to get food producing dwarves back to work.
There's still problem with crafters since unlike builders they aren't really needed nor for family survival nor for fortress one.  And doctors with soldiers are needed full-time not only by quota. And we have yet to come up with some resource distribution system (which is by the way very broken even in simplest of all 40d like capitalistic economy)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:59:41 pm »

First, I enjoy criticism.  Thank you.

(You would have no more than 7 families in a normal fort, so it won't be out of hand)
Family stuff should get traced in world gen so migrants would have relatives in fort already (that means no more migrant atomsmashing). Otherwise a hundred dwarf fort can have ~50 families.
Also, could you elaborate  about patriarchal and matriarchal societies? We already have caste-specific nobles (though they're bugged). And considering vanilla dwarfs  I believe they should be strictly patriarchal (its medieval Europe fantasy after all).
And this:
-Family based
Needs a lot more consideration. First, the servage measure would probably better be set like number of jobs per year, not an amount of time.
Second, what would they do after filling their quota anyway? It's not like dwarves are eversoon going to get rights to dig and build walls wherever they would like. Besides, masonry, mechanics and likes aren't of much use for any particular family. It probably would work if every family got their own burrow, size depending on number of family members and on their relationships with those in charge, place defined by player, with jobs outside that burrow counting towards quota.  Dwarves could refuse to perform any surplus work in case their family requires work related to their profession (for example: Uristian family require more bedrooms -> UristMcMiner, UristMcCarpenter, and UristMcmason refuse to continue working over quota until additional quarters for their family are built/dug and beds are placed). Each family could get it's own food stockpile as well and if it runs dry you'll need to mark some food from governmental reserves to be transferred to them in order to get food producing dwarves back to work.
There's still problem with crafters since unlike builders they aren't really needed nor for family survival nor for fortress one.  And doctors with soldiers are needed full-time not only by quota. And we have yet to come up with some resource distribution system (which is by the way very broken even in simplest of all 40d like capitalistic economy)

My response in parts to your message.

Families would go where other family members were over time.

Matriarchal/Patriarchal- Matriarchal is where the women are more likely to be in charge.  Patriarchal the men. (We live in a patriarchal one) but this would affect the fortress by the following

-If two families get married, which will they go live with?
-Whose name do they get.

Since the numbers of jobs done is unknown, they would do it by time I was thinking.  Or they could pay %20 of the family income, so you could hire them.

Once they fill their quota they will expand up to %50 over what they wanted, and then trade/lend services to others.  You would still designate, but since it would already have a detection system it would be able to tell if you were giving it to them or not.

Masons-> Tables
Mechanics-> Water pressure, beer pressure, sewage once it comes in, maybe even for making fountains.  You have to understand when I say family I mean like 25 people in one.

I do like your idea for the burrow, I just want the family area to only have one entrance.  So that is very similar.  Reason- I want families to eat together.

Did I get everything?
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:59 pm »

Families would go where other family members were over time.
This wasn't criticism here, I've just thought it needed to be clearly said that there are other family members outside fort.

Since the numbers of jobs done is unknown, they would do it by time I was thinking.  Or they could pay %20 of the family income, so you could hire them.
Well, I guess if time would be measured from the moment dwarf got job queued to a moment of completion it would even more  challenge players to create effective layouts. But I believe this would require yet another timer for every dwarf. It could also do with price of work thing but that is more about economy system which is still unclear.

Once they fill their quota they will expand up to %50 over what they wanted, and then trade/lend services to others.  You would still designate, but since it would already have a detection system it would be able to tell if you were giving it to them or not.
I do like your idea for the burrow, I just want the family area to only have one entrance.  So that is very similar.  Reason- I want families to eat together.
The detection system is the reason I've suggested burrows, that and a possibility to allocate mason's family land so near fortress walls or so fortress walls would be their home walls too.
As for one entrance thing, that'd be too clumsy and what if you want to settle your peasants above ground or if family halls breach caverns, or you need another corridor or exploratory shaft there? If mansions will be considerable in size they'd better have many entrances so every member could get in time for dinner. Family burrows could be restricted traffic areas for all non-family dwarfs.

Masons-> Tables
Mechanics-> Water pressure, beer pressure, sewage once it comes in, maybe even for making fountains.
And craftsmen, doctors, soldiers (again)? Those are trade/service oriented jobs. Just as builders are despite their ability to build tables,they don't build new house for their family every now on, they rather walk around and work on construction sites around to earn money for family. That's more true for masons and less for carpenters since their main prerogative is workshop, for a trade of course, since one even unskilled dwarf can supply enough chairs for his family including future grandchildren.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:30:10 pm »

I like the ideas of different sorts of societies..maybe determined by the civilization? Or maybe some game changing events can cause your fort to switch? (a plague...families start working togethor...or economic collapse)

As for economies (in terms of money, not political arrangements...though there isn't much difference...) I don't think a function capitalist system will ever be possible unless you the player are an actor in the economy, AKA a dwarf who can buy/sell hire etc....and have taxes, etc.