Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [IN-DEV][VIDEOS] Majeure - Adventurous Fighter Platformer  (Read 3246 times)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
[IN-DEV][VIDEOS] Majeure - Adventurous Fighter Platformer
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:25 am »

PUBLIC BUILDS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DEV VIDEO LINKS
IMPORTANT LISTS
Full Equipment/Collectables List

World Themes (Subject to a little change)

Development is continuing well.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:25:32 pm by Oasiscircle »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IN-DEV][VIDEOS] Majeure - Adventurous Fighter Platformer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:22:08 am »

Not a gargantuan fan. I mean it looks decent from all the videos but doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would hold my interest without some more interesting mechanics and (here's the kicker) spectacular level design.

I mean who knows it could be great, but its tile design is only up to par, there's no signs of a story, no sound yet, the platforming physics looks alright at best, and what I'm guessing are the test levels are not that interesting.

I like the shooting upwards thing though.

Are you making this?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:27:43 am by freeformschooler »

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:28:52 am »

Well, this game's only been in development for about a month or so.
Sounds and unique music are going to be in production soon, so you can look forward to that. (:
I would really like input on how to make the platforming physics better, as I can't really judge if they're "good" or not with just my opinion.

Of course this "level" is only a testing arena for physics and whatnot, this "level" won't be in the game at all.
The game isn't really going to be based on "levels" instead it will be divided into 8 unique worlds each with its own list of enemies and features.  You can go back to old worlds after beating them, as there are side-quests and other things to be unlocked that will help you on your journey.

There actually -is- a rough story that I have planned out.  Basically you're a boy from a village on the overworld and you get separated from your village by some means, most likely by falling down an abandoned mine-shaft.  You are contacted by your religions patron diety, the sky goddess, and she tells you that you've been chosen to be the hero of your legend and to stop the Blood Wars at very bottom regions of hell from breaking out into the overworld, which would end all of humanity as their people know it.  Your goddess bestows upon you your crossbow, and then you wake up from your dream and decide to listen to your vision and proceed to the lowest floor of hell.
There are side-quests, as I mentioned earlier, which you can do for extra items.  It is quite a collectable-heavy game as there is a 100%-age counter for every world in the menu that counts everything from power-ups to individual coins/jewels.

So yeah, if you've got any way to help me out with the physics/level design ideas please go ahead and post them here! :P

And yes, I am making this game along with an artist and a hired sound/musical guy. (:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:32:03 am by Oasiscircle »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:27 pm »

Now that's more like it! I would play a game like that.

The thing with the platforming physics is judging from the videos, the kind of platforming you seem to be working towards is Metroid or perhaps Mario, or just general Metroidvania, rather than Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (which is how the platforming physics currently look). If you want what I think you're trying to achieve here you need the player character to slide around a little more -- when they hit the ground, when they're already moving and the players lets go of the key, when they're going a direction in the air, etc.

Like this:

Anyway, I don't want to sound mean or anything, I'm trying to be as constructive as possible here.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

No no no, please continue giving 100% honest hard criticism!  Otherwise this game wouldn't get anywhere! ;)
I love this kind of stuff, I'll definitely mess with the physics a bit and make them a bit more, I guess, "slippery".

Thanks a whole ton, please continue to follow this thread as I need more feedback on stuff! (:
-Oasiscircle

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:09 am »

New video featuring more loose physics.  Tell me what you think!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:21 am »

Oh, wow! That's looking great! I like how you didn't overdo it -- it's just subtle enough to make gameplay flow more smoothly.

Hmmm... a few other things I noticed but can't be sure of.

1) I haven't seen the ability to jump off the side of ladders, unless I missed it. Either way, that's just depending on how you want the game to play (some games avoid ladder-jumping)
2) Are you able to shoot downwards in the air?
3) Probably the last thing I'm going to say about the physics. The "looseness" on the ground looks a little strange when you think about how you jump. This is another one of those design choices that's not really better one way or another, but this is how I would do it (and have in the past when I've done platformer type stuff):

The difference between the two is that at the peak of your jump, you can hold the jump key to hang at your peak a little longer. Quite a few games do this (including probably one of the most well known fighter/shooter platformers, Cave Story) This doesn't work as well for all platformer type games, though. It's just an option.

EDIT: Oh yeah, bad fanart of the little guy.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:42:45 am by freeformschooler »

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:42:57 am »

Alright, answering your general questions:
1) No, you cant jump off the sides of ladders.  I don't think I will be doing this either, just a design choice I guess.  I would never be making segments where you have to jump from ladder to ladder, because staying stable on ladders is hard enough as it is.
2) You can't shoot downwards, and this is intentional because I plan on having later-game segments (because most of the time 'progression' means going deeper) where enemies fly from the bottom of the screen rather than the top, which would make segments like that harder to accomplish.
3) I am going to change how the jumping arc works, I'll be sure to report back when I do finish this! (:

Thanks for continuing to be interested in this game, I hope more users grab on to this topic like you have! (:

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 11:45:47 am »

Ahhh yeah, that makes sense. Anyway, you may or may not want to move this into creative projects. Though creative projects is a lot slower of a place than Other Games. Anyway, I am already ashamed of that fanart!

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »

Haha, I love your fanart! (:
Maybe you could draw a concept art of what you think the sky-goddess would look like? (Maybe a human/Ra combo?)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:21 pm »

I don't know, perhaps it's a little too generic-Goddess-y.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »

I don't know, perhaps it's a little too generic-Goddess-y.

They could play with that. Make her very generic until a certain point where she breaks every rule

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »

No no no, please continue giving 100% honest hard criticism!  Otherwise this game wouldn't get anywhere! ;)
I love this kind of stuff, I'll definitely mess with the physics a bit and make them a bit more, I guess, "slippery".

Thanks a whole ton, please continue to follow this thread as I need more feedback on stuff! (:
-Oasiscircle

If you haven't yet, play Cave Story, it has some of the best platformer physics I've seen and is one of my favorite games, particularly the jumping as you stated above. You might learn/find something you like from it!

Watching this thread :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:41:01 pm »

I downloaded and played Cave Story and played through a bit of the game to get the physics down.
I'm currently working on making the controls a little bit closer to those physics.

Would it be alright if I posted a playable physics demo, so people could evaluate it for themselves?

Also: Welcome aboard, quinnr! (:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:50:52 pm by Oasiscircle »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

I downloaded and played Cave Story and played through a bit of the game to get the physics down.
I'm currently working on making the controls a little bit closer to those physics.

Would it be alright if I posted a playable physics demo, so people could evaluate it for themselves?

Sure, what are you using to program the game? (Just wondering if it'll work with Linux or if I'll have to try and get Wine to run it on here.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: [1] 2 3