Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [IN-DEV][VIDEOS] Majeure - Adventurous Fighter Platformer  (Read 3239 times)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
Re: [IN-DEV][VIDEOS] Majeure - Adventurous Fighter Platformer
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 05:58:59 pm »

You will need a Windows operating system, it might run on Mac (sadly I haven't been able to test this, being a PC user here) so that'd be really nice if someone could test that out.  It won't run on Linux, I know that for sure. (sorry!)
So yeah, any Mac users would be greatly appreciated if they were to step up to the plate to see if the game still runs on a Mac, because I have no easy way to test that here.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 06:04:39 pm »

You will need a Windows operating system, it might run on Mac (sadly I haven't been able to test this, being a PC user here) so that'd be really nice if someone could test that out.  It won't run on Linux, I know that for sure. (sorry!)
So yeah, any Mac users would be greatly appreciated if they were to step up to the plate to see if the game still runs on a Mac, because I have no easy way to test that here.

Even with Wine (sort of like an emulator, although it's technically not)? I'll still give it a try and hope it works, and keep an eye on it, though :)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »

I would absolutely love to test out this program. Anyway, I don't have linux on my new lappy or I'd try it on Wine (and if it worked on linux with wine it would probably work on Mac too, and vica versa)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »

Sorry guys, there probably won't be a demo out tonight.  I just realized I had something to do that might take up some of my time.
If I do get it out, it'll be later than first expected.

If you guys do have a little free time it'd be awesome if you could suggest a few sidequest ideas, or anything really to get the idea engines formulating, since I haven't been able to think about anything past the base systems as of yet.

Thanks a ton, hope this gains even more people as we go on. (:
-Oasiscircle

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »

If you guys do have a little free time it'd be awesome if you could suggest a few sidequest ideas

Well you never even stated what this game is about I wouldn't know exactly what sort of sidequests would be appropriate.

For example: In order to awaken the sleeping, whoever, you must travel into the dreamworld and defeate the evil creature holding him at bay. The theme of the Dreamworld is that everything looks harmless and peaceful until you strike it and it shifts into a horrible nightmare (or things cannot be harmed until you get to certain locations and it shifts to nightmare)

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:51 pm »

I'll be watching this, and I hope you like half-assed fanart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Well, basically what I'm going for is more sidequests that are focused more on exploring a certain area, like going down the town well.
Keep in mind, when I say "hell" I don't mean constant flames and destruction, as this "hell" is more separation from society.  People still make towns whenever they find other people (this will only happen on the first few worlds).  Instead of the quests being really static like, you have to have them assigned to go do them, rather the townsfolk you meet only tell you about them.  In essence, they just point you in the right direction and tell you where to start and what to do.

So they can be simple like "There are lots of rats in my basement.  I wish they'd go find someone else to bug." or "Cyclonos dropped his amulet down the piping the other day, that's a shame."

Stuff like that, I guess. (:
Or you could formulate ideas for enemies.  Flying enemies, ground enemies, any type really!  I was thinking having something similar to the brains that fly around in kid icarus, fly in groups of three and try to kamikaze you from the edges of the screen.

And Bitoru, that looks simply awesome!  Except he's holding a gun instead of a crossbow, but that doesn't matter!  It looks great man! (:
Hope you continue to follow the development.  Akto, my artist, really likes the fanart. (:

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:15 pm »

And Bitoru, that looks simply awesome!  Except he's holding a gun instead of a crossbow, but that doesn't matter!  It looks great man! (:
Hope you continue to follow the development.  Akto, my artist, really likes the fanart. (:

Haha, thanks! I figured a sideways crossbow would be kinda hard to picture so I made a gun thing >_>
Keep up with the great work!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »

So steriotypical sidemissions like
-I lost my cat
-The river stopped flowing
-I am a ghost who was killed by this person
and stuff like that?

Goodness I should be jumping all over someone asking me for creative input... but I feel like my creativity was hit with a sludgehammer (Not from anyone here)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:43:08 pm by Neonivek »

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 06:47:02 pm »

@Neonivek: Hey, you can really be as creative as you want, because the environment can literally be anything because it's a "hell"scape.  But I feel like a fool not posting this first, so here are a few lists that might be important/interesting to look at:

Full Equipment/Collectables List

World Themes (Subject to a little change)

Of course, feel free to suggest different things.  Make sure they'd be useful to both unlock a new world/area and to be used as a gimmick in that world/area. (:

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »

I just had an explosively delicious salad with ranch dressing.  It was delicious.
Back to development stuff, why don't you guys test this out:
I'll edit the main topic for other people to test out the build too.
Edit: Z to Jump, X to shoot an arrow.  Arrow keys interact with direction and walking and whatnot. (:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:26:13 pm by Oasiscircle »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

Oh man that's awesome. Though I think you have a bug or a memory leak or something because I am noticing some pretty crippling lag with any FPS setting, and my computer is pretty great

EDIT: Found a bug. If you jump off the top of a ladder while holding up you can jump forever.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:37:12 pm by freeformschooler »

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »

See, I'm not sure exactly why it lags when you get near the "top" of the maps.
Probably something with the scrolling camera, was it that bad of lag?

I did a quick test and it appears that the scrolling lag only happens when going north/south and doesn't occur when going east or west.  It might be something to do with the way I check whether or not there's a solid object below the player or not, so I'll see if I can make a few changes here and there to improve performance. (:

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »

Well, it even happens to me just moving around at the starting point, even left and right, I don't have an onscreen counter so I'd say I was getting AROUND 8-10 FPS, tops. It certainly does seem to lag a little more at the top.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

Well, uh.  I'm not sure how to deal with that because I don't have that problem, the program runs fine on my laptop.
I'll upload a new build in a second without the debug information streaming, because that can sometimes cause some lag.

Are you doing anything CPU intensive?  Because the program does take up quite a lot of CPU (30-50%ish a lot of movement and scrolling going on for my computer).

I'm running this currently:
Pages: 1 [2] 3