Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MMOs, Free or Pay. What are you playing...  (Read 1326 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MMOs, Free or Pay. What are you playing...
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:52:59 pm »

So in this world we have our Internets, and with out Internets comes the games. And with games comes the MMOs.
Many times have I tried to get into MMOs, starting with WoW but that didn't amuse me, it didn't grab me like it did others. I tickled with ideas of different F2P MMOs and tried them out for a while before becoming bored with them. Then I played the RIFT beta, that grabbed me, I played that for a long time, I only have recently stopped after they completely pigioned hold the Warrior Soul to be Tank only and then nerfed that so much that a Cleric Soul is better at it. I haven't checked its status since so maybe its changed and who know I might hit those Rifts once again.

But the question is, What do you play, what grabs you and whats a good MMO out there, Free to play or Pay to play. Browser or Client, Anything really...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs, Free or Pay. What are you playing...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

CrimeCraft is pretty good, I only started playing because of their crafting system. World of Tanks is also fun to play, but can get you into a rage pretty quickly, as the matchmaker is fucked up (AKA tier 3-tier 8 match, srsly?). Champions online is also a fun game. Battlestar Galactica Online is very fun, especially when it comes to PvP.

Oh, and all those games are free to play.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »

I'm currently playing World of Warcraft; been playing off and on since vanilla ('vanilla' is used in reference to the time before any expansions were released). I enjoy its battlegrounds and dungeons. I've got a few max level characters.

I played City of Heroes for a number of years and had a lot of fun with it. I've got a few max level characters in this game too. Think I'll give it another spin when it goes FTP soon.

I tried Guild Wars... it was a good way of spending a dull weekend, but it just didn't grab my interest for the long haul. My lone character is a lowbie.

I also gave Champions Online a spin... it seems like a good game and one I'll likely play some more once I feel the need to take a break from WoW. My lone character is also a lowbie.

I've also played Dungeons and Dragons Online... I like its instances a lot. My only character is a lowbie.

I tried the EVE Online trial... it seems to be an interesting and deep game and I enjoyed the combat, though the travel times between places made it a no-buy for me.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:26:40 am »

Not playing any at the moment, but I'm certainly in that mood where I could use one. I've had a long term love-hate relationship with Ragnarok Online, which is the only MMO I would say that I've put a commitment in. Can't bring myself to play it with the state it's in at the moment but I still check the Korean version for updates, looking for that reason to get excited.

Other than that, I've played more MMOs than my memory cares to keep track of. Too many of them are just rehashes of the same system, surprisingly few of them actually make an effort to tailor towards large scale PVP (Which is the only end-game content really worth making an effort towards in my opinion). I mean yeah most MMOs will tack on PVP at some point, but not many games are designed with PVP in mind from the beginning which leads poor mechanics in the long-term. One of my biggest turn-offs in any MMO is preset statistics based on levels too, which is apparently only becoming a more popular trend.

So yeah, basically I'm waiting for Tera Online and hoping it won't be terrible. Wouldn't mind seeing what other people are playing, though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:28:34 am by Haschel »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 12:35:45 am »

Ragnarok Online. One of my favorite games, if a bit grindy. A highlight was when some dude gave me a VVS Fire Claymore for free.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine. Got tired of the grind between level 24 and 25 (story significance). I got to 25 though so it should pick up soon. I liked it before that though, and the grinding was actually tolerable because of the unique combat thing. It was pretty hard though.

Maplestory. Got tired of the grind after getting to 106/7 purely off of the grind. Are you starting to see a pattern here? It was mainly fun because I had a whole bunch of friends and we had a guild and all that. It was so awesome, except the grinding was the only way to get up (aside from paying).

Dungeons and Dragons Online. Got tired of falling down all these cliffs at Misery's Peak on the starting island (it's harder than it sounds!). I liked it though.

Runescape. Tried several times, it just couldn't keep me. I know quite a few people who do like it though so it's really a matter of preference (what isn't?).

Do games like Terraria and Minecraft count?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:49:55 am »

Not playing it yet, but kind of looking forward to Star Trek Online going Free to play later this year. That'll probably get some time from me since I thought the beta was pretty okay. By now it's had time to improve.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 12:58:56 am »

I might try out that Firefall game when it comes out.  I don't really like MMO's in general though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:47:05 am »

Played Runescape for a while, figured out that it was even less interesting than Diablo at the age of 12. Also, I'd done everything I didn't have to pay for, and didn't fancy mindless grinding for PVP.

After that, Guild Wars. Done pretty much everything in that game bar the high-end PvP, due to my PC being a little bit too slow for me to play it without occasional pauses, which can be fatal. Got 10 characters at level 20, all of them with some form of expensive armour, a lot of them with two. Occasionally go back, but I've pretty much done it all now. Need a few more points in the Hall of Monuments to unlock cool shit for GW2, though.

Currently, EVE Online. Got to the point where I had enough money to scatter Battlecruisers in my most visited Haunts and shuttle between them, still racking up enough reputation to get Jump Clones. On hold right now due to my old PC choking on the latest update (Incarna) and my new PC not recognising my network adaptors.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57:20 am »

World of Tanks

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:10:07 am »

Playing Iris online at the moment. It's a free client based MMORPG, graphics are very anime like. It's a very grindy based game and the missions have all been so far 'collect x amount' or 'kill x amount' with one delivery mission, but I play it mostly because I can party up with my friends who are now at uni and run a skype conve at the same time on my latop and less than good internet so it's not a very process heavy game. I'd only recommend it if you and some mates want something to chill out and play together and don't mind the grinding and samey quests.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:30:35 am »

None at the moment.  I stopped playing WoW about... three years ago? It was right before the second expansion.

I played EVE Online for quite a while, but that turned into the game that I so wanted to be good, but really wasn't - and then they came out with Carbon and my computer couldn't really handle it (not to mention I was already second-class because I don't use Windows) so I said, "eh, if you're focused on CPU-melting eye candy rather than gameplay issues, then I'm done."

I have grandiose ideas (who doesn't?) for a kind of MMO that doesn't "use the same formula" (yes, I know it's been said before and not really implemented) but I have a severe lack of motivation.  So I'll just ruminate on the idea and grow increasingly curmudgeonly in my not-quite-middle-age.  Get off my lawn! ;D
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:40 am »

Runescape's my childhood game, and I do go back to RuneScape and subscribe as a member once in a while. F2P in RuneScape is seriously lacking.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 10:18:17 am »

Mainly playing Star Trek online MMO wise but it suffers from the typical MMO model so I'm probably gonna quit in October, though it is going Free to Play later this year.

I'm also playing World of Tanks if you consider it a MMO, heh.

I've played a few MMOs in my time and so far the best I've played are WWII Online, Eve Online, and Shores of Hazeron, all giving you the ability to play in your own way instead of just following the typical model. I honestly prefer sandbox style games and those seem to be the closest you can get to a Sandboxy mmo.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:54:31 am »

Waiting patiently for Old Republic, after about half a year of quitting WoW.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 11:02:45 am »

Ragnarok Online. One of my favorite games, if a bit grindy. A highlight was when some dude gave me a VVS Fire Claymore for free.
Oh, I wish I had enough endurance to actually make it to maxlevel.
But after grdinding the same mobs for 10+ hours, I asked myself "What the hell am I doing?".
I think I was around level 60 or 70 or something. Can't remember what the maxlevel was.

I just got taken along on a couple of dungeon runs, but sadly never saw RvR.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:06:38 am by Mindmaker »