Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: DF arena - Under new management  (Read 34754 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: DF arena - Day 7 over
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »

Anyway, I fight a jaguar. I have not the money to spend on anything else.

Actually, can I fight a Gorilla instead please.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2011, 06:17:43 pm »

Think I've decided I shall spend stuff!

Selling my Copper Buckler (14 back)

Total 56

Buying Copper Shield (54)

Gonna play safe and still take on a wolf.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2011, 06:48:11 pm »

If you have a suggestion for a good method, I'm all ears.

A tediuous but interesting route to go would be to award titles for a number of epic feats, but to make earning them very difficult and competitive by defining strict and exclusive requirements for doing so.
For example, a title might could be awarded for the act of one-shotting a formidable opponent, but only to the first person to accomplish such an act. The same could be applied to defeating Arena Masters, winning an accumulative or consecutive number of tournaments, or holding a certain win/lose ratio after a specified number of matches against qualifying opponents. In either case, so long as titles are reserved for the first or best completion performance of these heroic acts, they become badges of honor.

Of course, it wouldn't be much fun if it was just first-come-first-served. Gladiators who performed the same act/matched the achievements of those holding titles ought to be able to challenge them for their titles at specified times. This could be a simple do duel or an elaborate set of events unto itself.

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2011, 07:01:31 pm »

I'll fight a Jaguar then...

Add me to the next melee...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »

@Ibid I say if you can win two or so tournments mabye you should get a small title but if you can kill thirty other people in as many seconds other then being god you should have a awesome title and for some feats like fighting dragons or hydras would get you like Fireblocker or slayer of the seven heads.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »

I also support titles. Is there any possible way to get artifacts in arena mode?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2011, 07:19:31 pm »

You can make some special weapons that can only be build as artifacts like in the genesis mod.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2011, 07:22:03 pm »

I'll sell my mandrill and get another Giant Jaguar and fight a Bull.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:24 pm »

Jaguar! I must fight a Jaguar. Not much else to do at this point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Azure Sepulchre

• Bay Watcher
  • Y'all have knocked her up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Well, I wouldn't want to be left behind now that everyone's jumping from scary dogs to scary cats. I'll switch my challenge from a wolf to a jaguar, too, if it's quite alright.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:22 am »

I also support titles. Is there any possible way to get artifacts in arena mode?
Item quality cannt be specified in arena mode, so no. However, you do have the ability to get items made from materials that would not normally only be possilbe via artifacts in fort mode.

A tediuous but interesting route to go would be to award titles for a number of epic feats, but to make earning them very difficult and competitive by defining strict and exclusive requirements for doing so.
For example, a title might could be awarded for the act of one-shotting a formidable opponent, but only to the first person to accomplish such an act. The same could be applied to defeating Arena Masters, winning an accumulative or consecutive number of tournaments, or holding a certain win/lose ratio after a specified number of matches against qualifying opponents. In either case, so long as titles are reserved for the first or best completion performance of these heroic acts, they become badges of honor.

Of course, it wouldn't be much fun if it was just first-come-first-served. Gladiators who performed the same act/matched the achievements of those holding titles ought to be able to challenge them for their titles at specified times. This could be a simple do duel or an elaborate set of events unto itself.

How about this:

Every so often I will announce a title and the task required to take the title (e.g. kill five wolves to earn the tile pack leader). The first person to perform the task and claim gets awarded the title. If multiple people perform the task simulataneously, then the gladiators can organize a match between themselves with whatever special conditions they want (e.g. for the pack leader title, they might want to fight with each competitor having five wolves fight for them)(remember, you can challenge any other gladiator to a match with whatever special conditions you want) which award to title to one of them.

Later on, if you choose you can challenge someone for their title. Just challenge someone to a match with the condition that the winner gains the title. To be able to keep the title, you must have performed the relevant task yourself.

A gladiator can only have a maximum of 1+n/2 titles at a time, rounded up, where n is the number of arena lords defeated. A character can give up a title, in which case it becomes as if I had just announced it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:52:58 am by ed boy »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2011, 04:07:51 am »

Item quality cannt be specified in arena mode, so no. However, you do have the ability to get items made from materials that would not normally only be possilbe via artifacts in fort mode.

How about this:

Every so often I will announce a title and the task required to take the title (e.g. kill five wolves to earn the tile pack leader). The first person to perform the task and claim gets awarded the title. If multiple people perform the task simulataneously, then the gladiators can organize a match between themselves with whatever special conditions they want (e.g. for the pack leader title, they might want to fight with each competitor having five wolves fight for them)(remember, you can challenge any other gladiator to a match with whatever special conditions you want) which award to title to one of them.

Later on, if you choose you can challenge someone for their title. Just challenge someone to a match with the condition that the winner gains the title. To be able to keep the title, you must have performed the relevant task yourself.

A gladiator can only have a maximum of 1+n/2 titles at a time, rounded up, where n is the number of arena lords defeated. A character can give up a title, in which case it becomes as if I had just announced it.

This sounds great, though I would suggest one thing in addition: that title-holders be obliged to accept challenges or renounce their title, and that for the sake of avoiding an overwhelming number of challenges, they be limited to 1 every X number of days.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2011, 04:35:10 am »

Well, I don't want to force the title holder to accept any challenges, because there is always the possibility that the challenger will challenge with terms and conditions that makes them guaranteed to win. For example, if nobody else has challenged person A for the pack leader title, person B might make a challenge with the condition 'You have no equipment and I have a dozen dragons', and person A would be forced to accept.

Even if you make it so the title holder cannot decline symetric challenges, you still have the same problem. If person A has loads of sword skills, and person B and loads of spear skills, person B could make a challenge with the condition that they both use spears, and that match would heavily favor person B.

I don't want to get rid of special conditions for the title challenges altogether, because I want special conditions around the title nature to occur (e.g. wolves in the pack leader challenge).

How about this:

Anybody who is eligible for the title may challenge the holder. If the holder feels the challenge conditions are unfair, then they may appeal to me, in which case I will decide whether the challenge should be allowed or not.

The day before the start of each major tournament is the day of challenges. A title-holder must accept a valid challenge if one exists at the start of that day. They may accept challenges that take place on other days, but if there is a valid challenge for a fight on that day, then they must accept. If someone has multiple title challenges, for different titles or the same one, then they select one of those challenges to respond to. The other challenges are cancelled and must be re-issued for the next day of challenges if the challenger still wishes to challenge.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:32 am »

Works for me.  :D

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »

Yeah, that sounds cool.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27