Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159389 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #330 on: November 26, 2011, 11:10:27 am »

surely not a slow erosion into oblivion after ALL THAT right????
I think that it is entire point of this fort.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 26, 2011, 11:38:41 am »

DS. To make things funny, add [SPEED:1] to the dwarf raws.

Also, clowns will continue making visits because their car is still open.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 26, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

Still alive and kicking :P

So where does it go from here?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »

Pity you didn't get any of the ones made of fire. That would have been a quick end for the fortress at least.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »

INTO THE DEPTHS WITH YEE!

i say claim hell, build armoks temple and set your dwarves up for the end in true df style. Let them go to their gods with pride dear sir.
immortalise them in the bed rock of the ash devils themselves.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

For a day, the fortress shakes and echoes with the clash of battle below. Despite the flood of hell that pours into Weatherwires, the mighty warriors of the Diamond Cloisters hold strong, and the wave of demons eventually breaks and rolls back. The smoke and miasma fade after a few days, and the dwarves begin to go about the business of entombing the fallen, wading through the piles of ash, salt, and dismembered body parts which clog the narrow passage.

The skeletons of those who were caught behind the obsidian wall when hell was first breached are given a proper burial, and a handful of ghosts are laid to rest. Despite the hopes of any who went back into those passages to search for the dead, the body of the planter Ilral Boltedday is nowhere to be found.

Kib Waxpaddled, legendary hammerdwarf and matriarch of the now defunct Gloveowners clan (her only surviving child was slain in the battle) resumes her old position of mayor, which she held in the earliest years of the fortress. She meets with the surviving Quakedented children individually, and puts her high mastery in the skill of consolation to good use. A few months after the battle, morale springs back and there is no immediate threat of a tantrum spiral.

The Royal Fortresses and the Lone Lashes are disbanded for the time being, allowing the Quakedented and Lashhushed clan a chance to recuperate and contemplate their losses.

As her compatriots go about their duties, Melbil Cryptshaft returns to the caisson to mine out the last of the adamantine. The only other remaining legendary miners were slain in the battle, and Melbil is getting on in years - she could die of old age any season now. She migrated to the fort in 138 and was immediately put to work in the dome as a miner, quickly reaching legendary status. At some point during the years, she was bitten by a cave spider, and has suffered from dizzy spells since then. As well, she is the survivor of two separate cave-ins, and has lost use of her left leg - she has walked with a crutch for decades now. The wear of the years shows more on Melbil than other dwarves, but she is well-respected in the fortress as one of the miners who participated in the great excavation - and now, the last of all those heroes, she delves once more into the deeps to satisfy her race's unending, all-consuming greed.

DS. To make things funny, add [SPEED:1] to the dwarf raws.

Also, clowns will continue making visits because their car is still open.

At the moment, the ~30 FPS I'm enjoying is speed enough. Also, I've never experienced the multiple waves of demons that some people claim exist - though, hell does have 'wildlife,' after a manner, animalistic demons that roam in packs, which occasionally fly up through the tube.

So where does it go from here?

Queen Cog sits silently in her throne room, looking out over the tops of the guildhalls, thick with well-tended fungi and tastefully arranged statues, and contemplates the events of the centennial. Faced with a soul-crushingly slow and inevitable demise, she made the ultimate decision to cut the dwarves off from the land of the living, and thus end their collective agony. The overwhelming forces of hell, she had thought, would give them a glorious end. Indeed, many dwarves had finally found rest - but she had not, nor had her brother Asmel, although he had consistently been in the thick of the fight.

Deep in thought, her eyes involuntarily came to rest on a small, innocuous patch of bright green vegetation on the top of the nearest guildhall. Despair mixed with fury crept slowly across her face. He would not let them die. The accursed god of daylight and death had smote them down countless times, and yet the fortress' continued existence was undoubtedly his will. He would try to draw out the fortress' ultimate destruction for as long as possible, she realized - but only if they let him.

He had sent a third of the fortress to hell. Cog resolved to spit in the face of the vengeful god and send the rest of the Merchant of Echoing there too, as far from the bright, hateful surface as they could go. The pantheon they would erect there would be a testament to the strength and will of the dwarves - that, even after a century of tragedy and misfortune, their dying race could defeat the armies of hell itself and leave their footprint in the abyss forever. The construction would be the final act of the Diamond Cloisters, and would undoubtedly be bathed in the blood of Cog's subjects. She nodded to herself - a fitting end for the children of the mountain, who had overcome all challenges and created the wondrous dome of Weatherwires.

Maybe it's a sign they should try and colonize hell and join their deceased beloved there.

When the tide of battle started to turn and it became clear that the dwarves were going to pull through, I realized that this was going to have to happen. I'll leave the colonization for another fort (especially since the hell in this world is relatively thin, and I'd want an expansive abyss for megaprojects if I were to do a fort down there). It's time for the saga to draw to a close, I think.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »

That was an amazing read.
Starting with the mysterious phenomenon of mass sterility. The bitter realization their race is dying. The hopeless abduction and enrollment of merchants. The execution of varied solemn dwarfy acts in an attempt to remove themselves from the world, much like an animal hiding itself in a dark and removed place to pass away alone. The witnessing that even the morals or the highest members of society, the nobles, are falling apart, as the tyrants abuse authority and tradition for their own selfish and fickle desires against all common sense. The ghosts from the past, metaphorical and literal, dragging with them as many of the Traitors and Unworthy as possible. The decision to go down in a forever untold burst of glory, the very last event they could possibly have longed for, the fight against the source and fate of all evil...
... and as a cruel twist of fate, vanquishing and surviving the legions of Hell, without any plan for what comes next. So, what does come next? Going deeper. Separating yourself from the surface, again, more irreversibly. Going as deep as possible, forgotten by the surface and the underworlds alike. Never going back. Reaching once and for all the coffin of your civilization for a much-deserved eternal rest. Perhaps in the far, far future, a sentient creature from the surface will stumble upon strange subterranean ruins and traces of ancient battles. But nobody is counting on it.

It's things like this that always make me go back to DF.  :'(
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2011, 07:47:53 pm »

... and as a cruel twist of fate, vanquishing and surviving the legions of Hell, without any plan for what comes next.

Precisely. After suffering the various tragedies that have afflicted the fortress during the previous decades, the dwarves are not even afforded the mercy of a death in combat.

The fortress is currently in the process of smelting all of the stockpiled iron into steel, which will be used to construct the temple. During construction, there will be no walling off the edges of the map - the dwarves will have to rely entirely upon the military for defense.

Also, I'm making it possible, in a roundabout way, for an adventurer to find his/her way into the fortress once things finally end for good - though I'll keep the exact route a secret.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2011, 10:19:13 pm »

So when things finally end you'll post the save?
I think it'd be fun to try my hand at adventuring to it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2011, 12:53:42 am »

That's the idea. There's actually already a route from the surface to the dome, thanks to some exploratory passages which were dug during the early years. All I have to do is go back through and clear out stuff that's made those passages impassable, and you'll be able to explore the dome as an adventurer, if you can find the way in.

A great stairwell is being constructed by the dwarves. When completed, it will stretch an unbroken 115 z-levels, from immediately below the dome to the floor of hell itself, taking up a 2x2 area on each level. This will provide the dwarves with the shortest possible route to the underworld, which will aid in the construction of the great temple.

While passing by during their varied tasks, the dwarves glance through the gaping hole into the depths. Occasionally they spot a demon traversing the endless, featureless grey landscape. These demons are apparently different than those invaders who sought to annihilate the fortress - it is suspected that the creatures of the underworld are divided into a military and domestic force, similar to the dwarves themselves. One such creature is the Topazolite Fiend. A towering quadruped composed of topazolite which squirms and fidgets. It might be admired as a creature of beauty, were it not for its inherently evil disposition.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:13 am »

You must shatter such a creature for it's beautiful "perfect" gems.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/Century Fortress (spoilers)
« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

For some reason, this reminds me of Skyrim's dwarves. You knew it before it was published. Bravo.

I looked this up on the Elder Scrolls wiki, and I see what you mean. The 'disappearing without a trace' trope is definitely shared, though I have no idea if the Dwemar disappeared because they retreated to mountainhomes in the deeps, or because of some other arcane trickery.

Well, neither more or less.  The dwarves--Dwemer--were so rational that none of the gods in existence suited them for worship.  So they tried building their own.  Long story short, it was a disaster, and the whole of their race vanished, except for one.  They were messing with metaphysics that no mortal was ever meant to mess with.  Plus, at some point in the past they'd pissed off the goddess Azura and she may also have had a hand in things.

Okay, derailment over.  Do continue.  It's sad to see such an impressive and long-lived fort come to an end, as all good things must, but Fun, too.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/Century Fortress (spoilers)
« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »

Well, neither more or less.  The dwarves--Dwemer--were so rational that none of the gods in existence suited them for worship.  So they tried building their own.  Long story short, it was a disaster, and the whole of their race vanished, except for one.  They were messing with metaphysics that no mortal was ever meant to mess with.  Plus, at some point in the past they'd pissed off the goddess Azura and she may also have had a hand in things.

Wow, thanks for the insight. Also, the idea of a race being dissatisfied with the existing gods and thus building their own is pretty damn dorfy.

Another creature has been spotted in the deeps - the Antelope Fiends. A towering antelope with external ribs, a short trunk, and a bloated body covered with patchy, spring green hair. They also possess a stinger, presumably venemous.

In order to complete the stairwell, I had to drain some passages which had been filled with magma for quite some time. The result of draining one passage into the third cavern layer was a rather interesting similarity of shape between the obsidianized lake, a magma vent, and the volcano's lava tube. The pattern had a kind of aesthetic that struck me as pleasing, so I saved a picture of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, before the battle with hell, I had set up cage traps in the second cavern layer in an attempt to capture something with skin which could be tanned into leather - all I caught, however, were plump helmet men. Since then, other creatures have wandered into the traps; a couple blind cave ogres, which were used as training for the recruits, a few rutherers, which did indeed provide leather, and a veritable army of crundles. After the battle, however, another batch of plump helmet men were captured and tamed, and shortly thereafter their numbers began to boom.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are four adult females and only one male. There is a male child, but five of the six babies are females. Perhaps the plump helmet men only comprise a small percentage of the species? In any case, the females gave birth while the adult male was still in the cage - and the male child was born before the adult was captured at all. I suppose that plump helmet men are the only creatures in the game for whom the 'reproduction by spores' theory is legitimately appropriate.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »

You need to pull a Dwemer and build your own God. Maybe the Dwarves reject the gods who have failed them and they try to build their own in hell? Substitute lava for the Heart of Lorkhan and TADA! Numidium all up in this bitch.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

I just got done reading this whole thread today.

Dear god I thought Bravemule was depressing
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46