Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159372 times)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/Century Fortress (spoilers)
« Reply #300 on: November 22, 2011, 07:19:56 pm »

Whoa. A MErchant? Striking down the Captain of the Guard? @o@

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:18 am »

Once again, Ilral Boltedday has indirectly killed a dwarf.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The vengeful spirit took possession of Libash Dippedurns the Ageless Deep of Rhymes, and using the spearmaster's legendary skill and artifact adamantine weaponry, made mincemeat of one of the new recruits.

Poor Kulet probably thought Libash was simply sparring.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:22:59 am by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 24, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »

Wow, I didn't know ghosts could possess people and cause them to kill others. That's amazing!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »

Over the course of 224, Libash Dippedurns was possessed multiple times by the angry spirit during combat practice. Her sparring partner, the legendary militia commander Vabôk Earthenfins, successfully defended her onslaught as if nothing had changed, although the sudden change in Libash's demeanor (not to mention the murder of Kulet, their squadmate, earlier that year) could not be missed.

Vabôk Earthenfins the Tight Mechanisms of Whirling is dwarf that has repeatedly distinguished himself since his arrival in 148. He has 89 notable kills over a span of over 50 years - beginning with Usu Wavedpearl the Murky Deer, the mountain titan Vabôk slew in 151 with Faintletter, an iron dagger; and ending with a dozen trolls and a handful of goblins during the brief reclamation of the upper fortress which took place in 203.

Alas, his kill list will forever stay at 89.

At the age of 152, Vabôk collapsed in the barracks. He possessed legendary skill in nearly every non-weapon combat skill, as well as being a legendary speardwarf and knife-user. With only a large iron dagger in his hands (no shield), he slew two titans and a minotaur during his first years in Weatherwires, and was promoted to militia commander shortly thereafter. According to legends mode, his second kill - a huge, violet-feathered mite with a regal bearing and poisonous bite - was made with his bare hands.

By slaying these two titans, Vabôk single-handedly made the world pass from the Age of Myth and into the Age of Heroes - with only a single year (152) comprising the Age of Legends.

The passing of Vabôk Earthenfins is representative of the passing of Weatherwires. A great dwarf who, in his early life, shook the foundations of the time itself and changed the world forever. As the years wore on, he only grew stronger, until none could defeat him in single combat. In the end, however, the millstone of time took its toll, and ground Vabôk into dust.

So, too, is the fortress being ground down. Dwarves die from uncontrollable accidents, unfulfillable moods, and unstoppable ghosts every year, slowly but surely. Poltergeists seize items and hurl them at helpless civilians. Pillars of smoke rise from the southwestern quarter. Unwanted clothing in various stages of decay litter the streets. Mischievous spirits occasionally pull levers, and angry ghosts throw dwarves into violent tantrums. Even if the enemy was not being unleashed on the centennial, Weatherwires could not possibly last forever. A few years, decades maybe, but not forever.

Libash Dippedurns has been named militia commander. If she does not die of old age, or is murdered by a ghost, or falls prey to any of the other possible accidents which could happen, she will lead the final defense against the forces of hell which will be released in one year's time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:05:21 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

For some reason, this reminds me of Skyrim's dwarves. You knew it before it was published. Bravo.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 25, 2011, 04:36:41 pm »

For some reason, this reminds me of Skyrim's dwarves. You knew it before it was published. Bravo.

I looked this up on the Elder Scrolls wiki, and I see what you mean. The 'disappearing without a trace' trope is definitely shared, though I have no idea if the Dwemar disappeared because they retreated to mountainhomes in the deeps, or because of some other arcane trickery.

It is currently the mid-winter of 225. Once the year turns, I'll post a final DFMA map and give people a window of time to ask any questions about the penultimate state of fort, while I add a few important annotations to the map. Then, I'll deconstruct the wall and then it's constant updates until the end.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:39:44 pm by DS »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #306 on: November 25, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »

I just found and read this today, and I must say this is amazing. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to pull off anything even half this awesome!
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 25, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »

I just found and read this today, and I must say this is amazing. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to pull off anything even half this awesome!

Hey, thanks. To be honest, I had no idea where it was going when it started - everything just sort of fell into place naturally as the game progressed.

The appointed day has arrived, and on the eve of destruction, the patriarch of clan Languagemetal, father of the so-called youngest dwarf and legendary macedwarf, dies of old age. Whether it is the will of some nameless fate, or the vengeful god Baros Buriedplages, or some other entity beyond the comprehension of the dwarves, the death of Eral Languagemetal is the last mercy that will be afforded to the dwarves of Weatherwires.

I've uploaded the final map to the DFMA, and updated the OP to include the link. I'll begin adding annotations now, and wait to make the final plunge later tonight.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:11 am »

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for every fortress drops to zero.

The relentless wearing down of the fortress has reached its breaking point. 37 ghosts of various dispositions haunt the dome, and one in particular has already claimed many dwarves in its hatred for the living (that's about 1 ghost to every 4 dwarves - the current fortress population is 144). The dead cannot be stopped, and so the destruction of Weatherwires, no matter how much the dwarves try to build it back up, is ultimately inevitable. It was decided decades ago that on this day the barriers holding back oblivion would be released, and Weatherwires would find its end not in an agonizing whittling down over the course of decades, but in a fiery blaze of glory, a clash of demonflesh and adamantine which would echo in the dome for eternity.

The military assumes positions under the command of Libash Dippedurns the Ageless Deep of Rhymes. Every squad at the commander's disposal is positioned along the length of the narrow passage into which the enemy will pour. Libash knows that if but a single demons were to break past his defenses and into the vast hollowness of the dome, her forces will be useless - the fiends would simply fly throughout the grotto and pick off dwarves where they stood.

Immediately to the north of the breach is positioned the Silvery Princesses. To the south, Libash and her surviving squadmate, Shorast Sealmet are positioned alongside the Silvery Skunks. All of these dwarves - even the new recruits - possess legendary skill in their respective weapons.

Behind Libash and her compatriots are positioned the Lone Lashes, now comprised almost entirely by the only survivors of clan Lashhushed. They, too, are legendary warriors, despite having only trained for a few years. The captains are apparently stellar teachers.

Positioned behind the Silvery Princesses are the prince and his squad, the Royal Fortresses. Many of these recruits are now legendary axedwarves, but poor Logem "Quakedented" Sparkswords has only been in the squad for a few short months, and possesses no military skills whatsoever. Kol "Languagemetal" Claspedrelief, however, has only grumbled and shirked his training, so despite being in the squad for longer than any of the Quakedented children, he is only a competant axedwarf. Presumably his coddled childhood as the youngest dwarf resulted in a spoiled brat with an over-developed sense of entitlement - in which case, the coming battle will be a sickening wake-up call.

Asmel "Murdershot" Deathchannels, prince of Weatherwires and son of the old duke, thinks back to the days of his youth. He remembers running along the rim of the caldera in the diffused light of the upper fortress, laughing with his brother and sisters, and the other friends of the Murdershot children - Kogan "Ceilingintense" Toolfriends, whose parents died in a cave-in, leaving him orphaned; and Lòr "Lensnarrow" Gearslings, with whom his sister Cog, now the queen, had had a brief affair. But now his siblings were dead, Cog was most likely mad with power, and their friends had gone mad and withered away from thirst or starvation in the tantrum spiral during his childhood. Soon, he would meet them again in whatever afterlife Baros Buriedplagues, the god of death, saw fit to grant him.

Commander Libash has no illusions about this conflict. She knows that the chances of the dwarves winning are slim to none - but she does not confide this in her squadmates. She only rails them onto victory, claiming that this shall be their hour of glory, even though she knows deep in her soul that she leads the last of her civilization into oblivion. Vabôk knew that the fight was unwinnable too, she suspected, although he would have never said it. They were squadmates, not friends - dwarves like Vabôk and Libash, who spent years doing weapons drills over and over, had no friends.

With a heart that felt like it was made of slade, the commander issued the signal to deconstruct the wall. Shorast Rockclearings, a merchant guard turned stonecrafter, moved forth and began to tear down the rough obsidian block wall.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:09:23 am by DS »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:50 am »

Oh. Im a bit late to address this,
but what is your baby:adult ratio?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 26, 2011, 12:30:03 am »

Shorast pulled down the wall, stone by stone - but once the barest breach was exposed, a foul rush of air, reeking of rot and brimstone, broke down the rest of the wall, knocking the dwarf backwards. Immediately, the horde of demons began pouring through the narrow breach in the wall - giant tapirs composed of ash, mongooses composed of salt, and of course, the fire-breathing skinless pterosaurs which had already caused the deaths of four military dwarves. As they descended upon poor Shorast, who hadn't even the time to turn to run, the defenders of Weatherwires rushed in to slay the invaders.

Some demons, the dwarves quickly discovered, were easier to kill than others.

Others were a bit more challenging.

Eventually, after breaking nearly every bone in his body, and setting him on fire, one of the demons landed a kick square on the stonecrafter's head, killing him.

Oh. Im a bit late to address this,
but what is your baby:adult ratio?

There's only one baby. Currently, the fortress population is 144. Well, 143, now.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:51 am »

I mean in the raws. This might be whats affecting it so...

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2011, 12:40:49 am »

The battle rages, and the demons claim their first military kill. Rakust Doorpolishes, of clan Lashhushed, fought bravely, claiming a few kills before he was finally taken down. One of the mongoose-like salt ghosts caught Rakust from behind, kicking him with such strengh that the whiplash broke his spine, despite his adamantine breastplate. Helpless and paralyzed, the demons crushed his body mercilessly.

I mean in the raws. This might be whats affecting it so...

If you're referring to [BABY_CHILD_CAP], it's at 10000 for both values. Thus, my cap on babies+children is 10000, and I can't have more than 10000% of my adults in babies. It's not the issue, and besides, trying to solve the infertility bug is kind of a moot point by now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:43:55 am by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2011, 12:47:44 am »

A swordsmaster by the name of Oddom Bellstrussed, formerly a caravan guard, managed to slay a single fiend of shadow before being slain in combat. With well placed strikes to his hands, the enemy shattered his hands, despite his adamantine gauntlets, thus disarming him. After that, it was only a matter of time before the helpless dwarf was slain by the unstoppable demons.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2011, 01:01:25 am »

While locked in combat with a pterosaur devil, Dumat the swordmaster was caught off guard by one of the ash tapirs, which crushed his skull in a surprise attack. On the other side of the breach, one of the ash tapirs punched the other swordmaster, Catten in the left hand, breaking her bones and forcing her to drop her steel shield - allowing the skinless pterosaur demon nearby to swoop in and snap her neck.

Meanwhile, the only remaining member of the Silvery Princesses, Èzum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances, is kicking ass and taking names.

And, in a truly dwarven display of hypocrisy, Libash Dippedurns left the site of battle to take a quick nap.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46