Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159395 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (serious spoilers)
« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »

As the months wear on, the dwarves complete beautification projects around the dome. Using the various statues that the fort's craftsdwarves have produced over the years, three statuaries are erected on the cavern floor. The first is located at the foot of the citadel, amidst the natural rock pillars which support the buildings and causeways above, and is easily accessible via a passage from the central mesa. At the center, upon a patio of adamantine bricks, is an obsidian statue of Domas 'Murdershot' Tanineth (crafted by the queen herself, no less) surrounded by dwarves, commemorating her rise to sheriff in 127. Three adamantine statues of travelling dwarves surround her, representing the founding of Weatherwires in 126.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second is in the caverns just to the east of the dome, and consists of many statues of dwarves in a ring around a central image of Id Fenceman rising from the grave, once more, as a murderous ghost in 194. Presumably, this event took place during the shifting of graves from the surface into the lower fortress, and Id would have been laid to rest shortly thereafter. The door on the east edge of the statuary leads to the map room.

The last of the three cavern statue gardens consist of silver and adamantine statues crafted entirely by a single blacksmith, Ëdem Mistêmïngiz. Ëdem, a merchant, was chosen to train as a blacksmith in order to produce a statue of Ral Coppercanyon, goddess of metals. Instead, Ëdem produced statues of many other things - most notable, about a dozen statues of oysters. Curious, I took a look at Ëdem's profile to see why she kept producing images of oysters.

Another dwarf who was a less dubious worshipper of Ral was brought in to produce the statue, and did so (the statue which was placed in the temple is laughing, appropriately). The oyster room has been erected in a distant part of the caverns, accessible to the dwarves only via a long walk through natural caves.

In addition to these statuaries, the farms have been moved out of the muddied areas within buildings and to the dome floor, so that these artificially sandy or silty areas can grow many-colored fungi. One such area, located in the center of the red guildhall, has been opened up to the outside of the dome, and is ringed with pillars 2 z-levels high.

As always, life in Weatherwires trudges slowly onward.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2011, 09:07:33 pm »

There is a plague in the fortress.

Not a sickness among the dwarves. In fact, nothing is sick at all. The plague is not a spreading disease - it is a kind of spreading wrongness that afflicts the very earth that the dwarves walk upon. As far as the game itself is concerned, this is obviously some kind of bug, but within the context of this story, the saga of Weatherwires, this plague is the darkest of omens, the manifestation of the will of an angry and vengeful god of murder and death.

This omen has been present in the fort for some time now, staring me in the face. For how long, I cannot say for sure, but I have just noticed it. Take a close look at the screenshot I posted earlier today:

Do you see it? Look closer. The color is a little off, so it might be difficult, but it's there. If you can't find it, I've pointed it out with the cursor in this picture.

Here, in the heart of the dome, grows a patch of green grass. Indeed, two patches (you can see it in between the two dwarves between the stairs). In any other context, this might be a welcome curiosity, but for the dwarves of Weatherwires, who have forsaken the surface, green grass is a horrific sight. Not only does it remind them of the curses of the world above that drove them into the deeps forever, but it calls to mind an ancient myth, a deity of the Merchant of Echoing who, unlike the various other well-loved and worshipped gods, has no representation in the temple ring which dominates the dome.

Baros Buriedplagues, god of light and day, but also of murder, death, and rebirth, one of two gods not worshipped by the dwarves of Weatherwires. The surface world is his domain alone, and he has been forsaken along with it. Any dwarf who sees a patch of grass growing in the dome - the darkened, secluded sanctuary which has been sealed away from the surface by fire and stone - could not fail to be reminded of Baros, and the fact that he must view the lower fortress itself as the greatest of profanities. He has made his mark upon the Weatherwires:

...and as they pass the surface vegetation on their daily errands, the dwarves slowly realize the nature of their misfortunes, and the identity of their malefactor. In 135, the duke Kogsak Murdershot drew up the plans for the excavation of a great grotto beneath the earth, a utopia for dwarves and an escape from the lighted surface world.

It was in 135, too, that the great tantrum spiral erupted. For five years, dwarves died at the hands of their kinsmen, and the duke himself went mad. Determined to carry out her husband's plan, Domas Tickcities oversaw the excavation of the dome. Two decades after digging began, the fort was stricken with infertility. During the flooding, various mechanical issues sought to slow the pumps or cease them entirely. Now, a score of ghosts haunt the fortress, patches of darkness-defying grass grow in the deeps, and one name is on the lips of all: Baros Buriedplagues.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:06:23 am by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:25 pm »

As if to hammer home the point, two more dwarves pass away from old age this year. Both possessed legendary skill in their respective trades, and had been with the fortress since the early years.

The year is 216. In precisely one decade, the nameless evil will be unleashed and the doom of Weatherwires will be complete. The dwarves continue their drudgery, having fully resigned themselves to their fate.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2011, 01:01:00 am »

"999999" from the Portal 2 Soundtrack would go well with this.
IF any dwarf survives, play "Still Alive" from the Portal Soundtrack.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

Ah, yeah! I haven't got around to playing Portal 2 yet, but that track does have a kind of ambient "ruined" feel to it that certainly matches the fort's current atmosphere. Lately, when I'm playing DF and I want some background music, I run the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:28 am »

Imagine if you make a statue for Baros, you sporadically get 20 babies.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2011, 10:15:10 am »

DS what happened with the child that phased to another dimension?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

Feb Blockadeinch and Kogan Crewedboulder had been friends ever since they were recruited from the same caravan and came to live in the dome. Since then,  the merchant had gone on to become a legendary grower, while Feb, her marksdwarf guard, had had a mood and created Failedhushed the Music of Balding (the artifact light yellow diamond coffin into which the queen Domas Tickcities had since been interred).

On this day, Feb had recently returned from a woodcutting expedition in the second cavern layer. Every able hand was needed, and Feb was one of the few who had been equipped with a copper battle axe for hewing black-caps. (New bedrooms are being added to various guildhalls, and thus every color of underground mushroom are needed - there is a shortage of black-caps.)

The two women met in Kogan's bedroom below the Languagemetal guildhall, itself furnished with black-caps tables and chairs. While they spoke, the foul spirit Ilral Alåthalod, full of rage at the living, struck again.

Kogan, standing over the body of her only friend, bloody battle axe in hand - while Ilral Alåthalod floats just outside the door, listening eagerly to the gem cutter's cries of remorse:

For murder, Kogan has been sentenced to 201 days in prison - it is likely that she will be left to die of starvation in her chains. As Zon 'Gearguild' Ironfirst, captain of the guard, drags her away to her place of death, Kogan's mood grows worse and worse, as the gravity of the situation slowly dawns upon her. Ilral Alåthalod has claimed two more.

DS what happened with the child that phased to another dimension?

Situation remains unchanged. I can still zoom to the spot on the bridge where Zuglar 'Throwerlens' Fountainclinches was nicked. She should be 76 by now, if she's still alive. I have no way of telling.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 03:49:11 pm by DS »

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2011, 01:16:07 pm »

youde have to save, abandon and track her down in the legends.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2011, 01:36:25 pm »

What's going on with Zuglar sounds like standard behavior for snatched children in DF, unfortunately, down to the game still tracking her position on the map.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »

Sadly, the game freezes up whenever I try and abandon to take a look at legends. I have an abandoned version from right before I started recruiting merchants, so I can check out everything up to that point - I'll take a look at that when I can.

Also, I fixed some grammatical errors in my previous post. I really shouldn't do updates before I've had my morning coffee.  :P

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »

Months have passed. The dwarves, while walking from one part of the dome to another, have trampled most of the grass that was discovered earlier - though, out of carelessness, rage, or defiance, it is difficult to say. In any case, new patches of the miraculous vegetation have sprung up all over the dome; on top of buildings, on the mezzanine levels between guildhalls, or on the dome floor itself. So far, no grass has appeared in the other cavern layers, or atop the citadel. It seems that Baros' curse is aimed at the dome alone, although he is not yet so powerful, or bold, to defile the tomb of the queen and her children.

The fortress has run out of leather. The stores have been used up by moody dwarves, and with all the livestock having been butchered to improve FPS decades ago, there is no way to get more. The Quakedented children go into moods one by one, year after year - so far, five of the eleven children have gone insane from lack of tanned hides.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »

Sanitarium of Weatherwires.
For the moody and stark-raving mad!

( P.S. We hate you too. Aimed at the beserk ones. )

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 16, 2011, 04:42:57 am »

And that is how their tendency to go into moods annihilated the dwarves and their civilization yet again.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 16, 2011, 01:16:20 pm »

And that is how their tendency to go into moods annihilated the dwarves and their civilization yet again.

Well, it's really just one of countless contributing factors, at this point. A few of the children did have successful moods. I've set up cage traps in the second cavern layer (which has not yet been breached by the demons, mercifully) in the hopes that something with tannable skin might pass by. So far, I've just caught two plump helmet women.

The grass situation is becoming quite bizarre. It seems as if the stuff spreads if left untrampled. However, it grows almost entirely on the pathways that are regularly walked by dwarves, with the exception of one anomalous area.

Also, I've added "Century Fortress" to the OP to more accurately represent the current situation. The infertility bug is now but one of many spears that fate has driven into the fortress.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:12:42 pm by DS »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 46