Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159442 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (serious spoilers)
« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:35 pm »

At the age of 155, Udil Rimlulls the Purged Contingency, legendary hammerdwarf has passed away of natural causes - she died whilst sparring in the barracks, so it's safe to say a heart attack was the likely cause of death. She wielded one of the masterful silver war hammers crafted by the legendary weaponsmith Iden Sabreroom in the early years.

Iden died of thirst in 141 during a terrible accident involving an uncontrollable magma flood which blocked off a section of the fortress (no record of this even exists in my journal, which begins in 146). Before that time, he created one of the first artifacts in the fortress - Abbeyphantoms the Equivalent Discovery, a copper spear. Though a modest creation, Iden went on to create many masterful weapons, including many iron short swords and silver maces and warhammers. One such warhammer was named by Udil as Fallengrasp the Poetic Illnesses - appropriate, for a weapon which smashed the spines and bruised the guts of dozens of goblins and trolls.

Udil's death comes a stark reminder to the dwarves of their own mortality, as the fortress plans and prepares for the final battle with the ancient evil. With every passing year, more and more of their number fall prey to old age, and every military legend will be needed if they are to defeat the forces of hell which await in their full strength behind the rough obsidian block wall.

A date has been set - in the spring of the year 226, by the will of Ilon Crushsiezes, the wall will be deconstructed and the ultimate fate of Weatherwires shall be decided. The date was not chosen randomly - it is a year of great portent and prophecy, for on the 1st of Granite in 226, the fort will be celebrating its centennial. Whether the story ends with "...and they lived happily ever after" or "The settlement has crumbled to its end," the end is in sight for the dwarves of the Merchant of Echoing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:11:17 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mr. Doc

• Bay Watcher
  • Semi-Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2011, 11:37:15 pm »

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

LONG LIVE WEATHERWIRES!

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2011, 11:52:21 pm »

What you must do before the Centennial:

Contruct narrow hallway from obsidian wall to rest of fort.
Arm that hallway with 30 cage traps, every 5 separated by 5
weapon traps. If you still have alot of space between the fort,
make more. You can never have too many traps. And mass-produce cages.

If you survive, return to the surface and follow my mad plan.
Wait. You cant. Damn cave adaption!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 10, 2011, 11:35:41 am »

The dwarves could return to the surface if they had to, but I'm pretty sure they won't. Their story ends beneath the earth, and the surface is the realm of goblins and men, now. As for the traps - you haven't really tried that scenario yourself, have you? I recommend you start a new fort and try out all of these great suggestions you're putting forth. I won't implement any more, since I've got a pretty clear plan of what has to happen in the fort before 226 already.

For anyone who's been keeping up with the fort so far, I've updated the DFMA link in the OP to a map of the fort from the mid-autumn of 212 (it's the full map, without points of interest). I've abandoned my previous, rather ambitious plan of uploading a series of annotated maps, and instead will probably just put up one map in the early spring of 226 which will have a very extensive series of PoIs, and then just include hyperlinks to other maps of the dome being at various states of filling.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

The 1 tile high hallway will keep airborne clowns in able to be trapped, and ones with [TRAPAVOID] might fall unconscious
from the weapons. Which will then cage them.

EDIT: Also I normally us Runesmith to max out my dwarves attributes,
and I've changed the raws for [SPEED:1]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:06:37 pm by Mapleguy555 »

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »

The 1 tile high hallway will keep airborne clowns in able to be trapped, and ones with [TRAPAVOID] might fall unconscious
from the weapons. Which will then cage them.

EDIT: Also I normally us Runesmith to max out my dwarves attributes,
and I've changed the raws for [SPEED:1]

I think you don't quite get the point of this fort. It's a saga, not just another game. While I am sure DS is perfectly capable of easily dispatching the clown problem using one of the many methods to do so... that is no end worthy of song.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2011, 08:45:45 pm »

Urdim 'Gearguild' Olondomas, patriarch is throwing a tantrum, possessed by Ilral Alåthalod, Ghostly Planter!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shorast Unâlgusil, Merchant has been struck down.

Ilral is an angry ghost - the first malicious spirit among the new batch of ghosts who cannot be memorialized. I suppose that the dwarves of Weatherwires have forgotten the names of these haunting few, and thus cannot honor them with an engraving in stone and put their tortured souls to rest. Urdim must have either never met Ilral in life, or the planter has faded from his memory - such is the anger of these ghosts at the irreverence of the dwarves that they have begun to lay claim to the bodies of the living and exact their revenge upon the fortress that has forgotten them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:51:00 pm by DS »

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2011, 03:48:20 am »

Urdim Olondomas, patriarch of the prolific Gearguild clan, has died of thirst. Imprisoned for a crime he committed whilst possessed by a vengeful spirit, the dwarf was refused food or drink by his fellow dwarves, and withered away in his chains. While being of little note himself, Urdim fathered 13 children, of whom 6 have survived. The Gearguild clan has consistently been the largest of any family in the fortress, although it seems as if - if things continue - that honour will be usurped by the newly rising Quakedented clan.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »

And now another dwarf, a merchant guard turned stonecrafter, has died during the withering death sentence. The dwarves are apparently still consumed by apathy, despite the emergence of a new clan. The recent burst of hope was obviously transient, and is beginning to give way to an all-consuming wave of pessimism, manifesting as a kind of fortress-wide passive suicide.

These dwarves have accepted their fate, but cannot truly face it, no more than they can face those starving, dehydrated individuals locked in chains in the stairwell beneath the barracks. Unstoppable violent ghosts murder the living, brutal death sentences are carried out simply because the fortress has no access to lead, and every day that passes brings the year of judgement that much closer. Now, more than ever, the doom of the Merchant of Echoing which began with the curse of infertility seems inevitable. This is the twilight of the dwarves, the final chapter of Weatherwires.

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2011, 06:50:47 pm »

Just read this thread today. Love it. What is the current number of dwarves in your fortress now?
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2011, 07:55:39 pm »

Thanks for the appreciation! Out of the 160 dwarves that currently show up in Dwarf Therapist, 62 are natural immigrants or children born into the fortress prior to the infertility crisis. 91 are recruited merchants and their guards, and 6 are the children of the Quakedented clan. The remaining one isn't actually in the fort - that's Zuglar Fountainclinches of clan Throwerlens, who was kidnapped at some point early in the fort's history. Nothing of Zuglar has been heard of since then, but she'd be 73, if she was still alive.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »

Ooh! When it finally collapses, enable and edit raws for any race, then re-claim.

For example, embark as humans, give them some dwarf raws, like worker raws,
then re-claim. But instead of re-entering the fort, make a human village/town right outside.
Make a dirt pathway towards the entrance, which goes trough the little town.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2011, 08:14:36 pm »

I'm not entirely sure - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but both of your suggestions require a change to the entity raws, which would require a world re-gen to take effect. Not to discount the idea, but I just don't think it's possible. In any case, once this fort is through I think I'm going to take a break from DF until the next version is released.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »

Alrighty. But you just edit the raws in the region folder.

For example:
Dwarf Fortress -> Data -> Saves -> region## -> raws -> objects -> ( Whatever holds that data )

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2011, 09:08:10 pm »

Another year passes in Weatherwires, and so passes another valuable asset to the fortress - Dîshmab Anvilphantom the Bent Tactics, hammer lord and captain of the Dignified Hammers. Since 131, when Dîshmab settled in Weatherwires, she has bravely defended the fortress against countless threats. She racked up a respectable list of 54 notable kills, including Baspu Powerhale the ettin. She wielded one of the other masterful silver war hammers crafted by Iden Sabreroom, upon which she bestowed the name Brutegreeds.

Now, there are only two other hammer lords, both of whom are around the age of 140. If luck favors the dwarves of Weatherwires, these two may survive to 226 - but luck, it seems, has rarely favored the Diamond Cloisters, and it is likely that most dwarves in the fortress see the Dîshmab's death as just one more nail in the coffin.

Alrighty. But you just edit the raws in the region folder.

For example:
Dwarf Fortress -> Data -> Saves -> region## -> raws -> objects -> ( Whatever holds that data )

Right... what I was saying is that, specifically, changes the Entity raws (which you would have to alter in order to make humans playable) tend to require a worldgen to take effect. I just tried out adding [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to the human entry, and it works, though I'm unsure how much of the other changes would be possible. It's a moot point, in any case, since I don't see any need to continue the story past 226.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46