Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159420 times)

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2011, 03:48:19 am »

"Magma pressurization" - AFAIK there is nothing like magma pressure.

AFAIK magma doesn't pressurize by itself (water does), but it can be pressurized simply via pumps.

When the dome was filled to the level of the pumps...

Also, this fort is epic. Though it would've been awesome to see an epic fort go down just because of infertility :D
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:40 pm »

Also, this fort is epic. Though it would've been awesome to see an epic fort go down just because of infertility :D

I agree - I kind of regret recruiting all of the dwarven caravans, but it kind makes sense for a dying race to seclude itself and pull back into one solid, impregnable fortress. Also, the birthing problem is a bug, so I kind of feel justified in using a utility to expand my ranks.

However, I do have a plan to construct a second fortress to house all of the mercantile immigrants. It will be completely separate from the dome - kind of like the Dwarven upper class / Human lower class scenario presented earlier in this thread, except with 'native' dwarves / 'recruited' dwarves. I have two reasons for doing this - one, to properly house all of these new dwarves in a way that doesn't ruin the aesthetic quality of the dome, and two, so that I can recreate the original scenario (prior to recruiting merchants) to some degree.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »

19th Obsidian, 196, Late Winter - A goblin siege came quick and thick enough to bust through the weapon and cage traps. Onol Closechannels, the last remnant of the once-great clan Laborlured, was slain by a goblin swordsman before the military could make it to the defense. Onol was the last of seven children to perish in Weatherwires.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2011, 03:54:30 pm »

You should have built some windows. ;)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

You should have built some windows. ;)

I'm not quite prepared to have that level fun just yet.  ;D

From the fortress log:

16th Timber, 197, Late Autumn - In my attempts to develop a set of statues representing the full dwarven pantheon, I've been enabling certain crafting skills on dwarves that worship gods of whom I do not yet have statues. A brief summary of the pantheon of the Merchant of Echoing is given here, in the format of "name-representation-portfolio."

Onol - yak cow - mountains.
Ral Coppercanyon - female dwarf - metals.
Ilon Crushseizes - male dwarf - war, fortresses.
Risen Boulderrock - male dwarf - minerals.
Idrath Silverrocks - male dwarf - trade, wealth, jewels.
Thir - female dwarf - balance.
Amug the Rumored Owl - male dwarf - lies.
Baros Buriedplagues - male dwarf - rebirth, death, murder, day, light.
Iltang - female dwarf - misery, torture.
Thoth the Labyrinth of Whispers - male dwarf - night, dreams.
Thiken the Vigor of Lessons - female dwarf - speech, persuasion, poetry, writing.
Medtob the Virtue of Shell - female dwarf - charity, sacrifice, generosity.

Statues of all except Ral, Thir, Baros, and Iltang have been produced by masons, blacksmiths, potters, or glassmakers in the past. Newcomers have been found who worship Ral and Thir, but apparently there are none who follow either Baros Buriedplagues or Iltang in any measure.

The order of the list above is the same as they appear in legends mode, though it seems to have no effect on the personal faiths of particular dwarves. Ilon Crushseizes is the most popular god in the fort, so he seems to be a sort of patron deity. On the other hand, Iltang and Baros Buriedplagues (who has what I consider to be an extremely interesting portfolio) lack any followers, so far as I can find.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2011, 03:41:09 am »

Which god do you consider the "Head God" of the pantheon? Personally I'd say Onol, as he's the only one that represents Mountains.. even though he's not respresented as a dwarf.  Ilon could also be a good head god, as he represents war and fortresses, as well as actually being represented by a dwarf.

Derp, missed where you said Ilon was the most popular one.  XD

You know, this thread has inspired me to try a long-lived fortress myself, see if I can get the same problem to occur.  I don't plan on regularly flooding a huge dome with magma, though :P  2 fps is not something I could handle, thats for sure.  Right now, I have my cap set to 1000, and it often runs that high in the early stages of a fortress.  Its hard to keep up..

Plus I'm also playing with the Fortress Defense mod with all of its goodies.  Haven't gotten to the War Elephants yet though..
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:33:43 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

I figure Onol is either a chief deity, some kind of progenitor elder god. All statues of Onol include dwarves prostrating themselves before her, as opposed to the various statues of Ilon where he's making faces. It could be skewed, too, by the fact that my head mason and blacksmith both worship him, so naturally I have many statues of him, and few of Onol. It would be ridiculously painstaking to go through and count the number of worshippers for each... if only there was a utility for that.

And yeah! Taking away the population cap in the beginning would allow you to have a RIDICULOUS amount of dwarves, though that mod would certainly curb your growth.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »

A goblin siege has just arrived. Coincidentally, the magma has just reached the top of the caldera, and the sealed passage isn't working properly, so I'm going to have to drain off the top few levels so construction can be done.

I should note that the magma will drain off onto the plain outside the fort, which the goblins must cross in order to reach the bridge.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblins siege was broken easily by the traps, so it looks like the drainage won't do much except clean up the exterior of the map for me.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:36 am »

Thought I'd take this chance to give some background on one of the fort's most important dwarves: the queen, Domas Tickcities.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Domas Tickcities is one of the most long-lived dwarves in the fortress, and currently the reigning monarch of the last remnant of the Merchant of Echoing. In the early spring of 126, Domas and six other dwarves (founding a group known as the Diamond Cloisters) embarked upon the volcano known as the Fire of Channels. They struck the earth and founded Nugrethshorast, Weatherwires in the dwarven tongue. Among the seven were also Kogsak Murdershot (carpenter/woodcutter) and Logem Buriedboard (cook/brewer, currently the only other surviving member of the founding seven). Domas herself was the mason of the group, as well as possessing a skill at appraisal. That very spring, she and Kogsak became romantically involved.

In the summer of the first year the first group of dwarves immigrated to the fortress. Among them was Udil Bandwires, a dwarf with some skill with a battleaxe, and Tun Towerhollow, of no real repute. Due to poor living conditions in the winter of 127 (and the death of a pet, if I remember correctly - this happened sometime early this past summer, 2011, so it's been a while), Udil threw a tantrum and slew Tun with her copper battle axe. To prevent further deaths, Domas Tickcities was appointed to the position of sheriff. In a brutal beating, she slew Udil with only her fists. Shortly thereafter, she was removed from the position. To this date, this has been Domas' only kill.

Domas and Kogsak married in the autumn of 131. In the early winter of 132, Kogsak became the baron of the Diamond Cloisters. Due to the lack of any other royalty in the Merchant of Echoing, this made Kogsak the only ruler of dwarves. In 133 he rose to the rank of count, and in 134 the rank of duke. Domas bore him 5 children:

Èrith Futuredagger, eldest daughter, b. 132 d. 150
Cog Archwayward, second eldest daughter, b. 133
Avus Prestigecrafted, youngest daughter, b. 134 d. 136
Asmel Deathchannels, eldest son, b. 135
Olon Stakeesteemed, youngest son, b. 136 d. 151

In early 135, the massive dome project was designated - layer by layer, the outline of the dome was calculated and drawn. Due to a despondency amongst the citizens of Weatherwires, massive parties were thrown, and idleness became the norm. Friendships formed, and lovers multiplied. It was during this year that the old dining hall was graven with images by the master engravers. Various masterwork crafts and equipment were made by the dwarves. Unknown to the dwarves, this year would be the last of an era for the Merchant of Echoing.

In the late autumn of 135, the goblin civilization known as the Scorpion of Recreations attacked the Diamond Cloisters at Weatherwires. The goblin Stozu Nobleticks led the attack. Though the siege was broken quickly, seven dwarves who were outside the fortress perished in the attack. Later that season, the dwarf Stukos Girderopen was struck down by the dwarf Udil Rimlulls the Purged Contingency with Fallengrasp the Poetic Illnesses. This was the only dwarven kill made with the Purged Consistency (a silver warhammer), but it makred the beginning of a legendary tantrum spiral which resulted in the death of the majority of the population at that time.

Due to the death of many of his friends, in the midwinter of 135, Kogsak Murdershot went insane. He refused drink, and died of thirst later that winter.

Domas Tickcities endured the tantrum spiral, and has survived so far, being the last remnant of the dwarven monarchy.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:46 pm »

6th Moonstone, 198, Early Winter - The draining off of the top levels of magma, despite resulting in a scorched wasteland outside the fort, has not yet revealed the would-be primary entrance to the dome - the volcano refills only slightly slower than the magma is draining. Expansion of the drainage tube should solve the issue.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2011, 08:51:56 am »

If you get realy low on dwarves, you can always reclaim and see if that fixes the bugged births issue.

But that would be a real last ditch thing if you wanted to keep it going ide say. :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

I had actually considered that eventuality. There is another dwarven civ (just one other), which was also wiped out during world-gen. I won't abandon the fort when things are going pretty strong. Once I tap into the HFS, things might get to that point, but at that point, the new version will likely be out and I will just start a new fort.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2011, 11:17:10 pm »

I keep underestimating the rate at which the volcano refills. The method of drainage will have to allow for a really massive amount of magma to flow out of the caldera at once, otherwise it will take years for the seal to be broken.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2011, 11:59:38 pm »

Vucar Nokzamkikrost, Miner has died after colliding with an obstacle.

And then, his corpse and pick melted into the sea of magma that currently covers the floor of the second cavern layer. One would think that I had learned how to properly designate the digging of channels over empty space. Apparently not.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46