Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159396 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2011, 10:59:25 pm »

So far, the flooding has been successful, if extremely slow. As an offering to my fortresses gods (a diverse bunch, the chief deity of which is Onol, the yak goddess of the mountains), all the cages containing goblins and trolls have been placed somewhere which will be very hot, very soon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As well, construction of the new dining hall, located at the bottom of a hollowed out portion of the central mesa, has been recently completed. The hall itself is currently below the surface of the magma.

The highlight of the dining hall is Stukosātrid, an adamantine statue.

As I have been 'recruiting' every group of merchants that arrives at the fortress, my current population is 158. It feels a little like cheating, but oh well.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »

My setup (detailed in the previous post), didn't go at all as planned. The cages melted before the prisoners could bleed to death, and a small horde of partially melted, occasionally on fire trolls and goblins burst forth into the heart of the fortress. The invaders left broad trails of blood and grease behind them as they poured into Murdershot citadel, and the red guildhall.

Oddly enough, all the goblins ran north, into the citadel. The prince himself, armed with a masterwork adamantine battle axe he had named the Kingdoms of Satin (go figure), and clad in the artifact adamantine breastplate Healrelieved the Flag of Zeal, stood alone in defense against the foul creatures. He slew three, his first kills since he began training.

The other goblins were slain by the legendary warrior Libash Dippedurns the Ageless Deep of Rhymes, who has sixty-three notable kills, and wields The Orb of Fires, a masterwork adamantine spear. The carnage reached nearly all the way to the Murdershot memorial chamber, where there is basically a constant party (1 z-level above this screencap).

The real danger came in the form of several trolls (one of which was fully on fire) who stormed the red guildhall.

While the prince was busy defending the citadel, the rest of the military was scrambling to make their way to this guildhall. Nobody was there to defend it... nobody, except Cog "Gloveowners" Hammerfuture, furnace operator.

Cog fought off two trolls simultaneously, while the other fiends went through the building, smashing nest boxes and statues. By the time the military arrived, the furnace operator had suffered no more than a few bruises.

An especially exciting part of the whole affair was when Onol Inkswallowed the Worried Feral Berry of Rasps rushed out of the guildhall and onto the causeway to fight a troll. The two dueled along the edge of the avenue, just adjacent to a drop into the magma.

In the end, there were no casualties, except a few toppled buildings and a peacock that got set on fire. There is, however, a curious matter of a stack of 33 molten copper lying where the cages were, previously...

And, as always, the dome continues to fill...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:27:47 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:41 am »

Uh oh. I'd forgotten about that. I hope poor Cog doesn't get too upset.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2011, 04:47:30 pm »

Nice man.

I guess you didnt make a dedicated prison?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2011, 06:53:32 pm »

It's one of the last things on my list. I've been without a Captain of the Guard for a long time. I figured I couldn't afford to lose any more dwarves due to justice mishaps. It'll be reinstated soon, I think. As for a prison for the invaders... well, the cage traps are a recent addition. They usually don't make it past the other traps, anyways.

So, no more bug! I let the game run all day while I was at school to see what would happen, and here it is:

These are seven consecutive z-levels showing the patterns of flooding once the magma finally reaches the tops of the buildings. I'd bet that the entire dome will be finished flooding sometime this evening. The sheer volume of molten rock involved in this process is truly staggering.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2011, 01:21:42 am »

The dome would have been filled with magma by now, but the volcano has been drained down to the level of the pumps. There are currently 2-3 levels left below the 'high magma mark,' so to speak.

Taking advantage of the absence of molten rock in the upper fortress, I've been carving out what will soon be the only entrance to the fortress. When the volcano is filled to the normal level, it will be submerged beneath magma - however, when the top few levels of the volcano are drained off (via a brand new Fuck-the-World device, a la Boatmurdered), it will be accessible for as long as the magma remains low enough.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2011, 01:25:21 am »

post-to-watch
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2011, 12:41:26 pm »

The dome is filled! Mostly. The last layer is made up of 1s and 2s, but it's essentially there. I've uploaded a map to the DFMA. Viewing it in this format is really stunning, since you can actually see the vast quantities of magma that are involved.

Currently, I plan on finishing the main entrance, letting the caldera refill, testing to make sure that everything works, and then draining the dome. In the process, I will make a series of DFMA maps that give a full and complete tour of the entire fortress, meant primarily to orient people who haven't been keeping up with this thread. Also, within the next week or two I'll go through and detail the more famous dwarves, since people have asked about that, I think.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2011, 02:57:40 pm »

This epic is epic. Amazing story so far, helped a lot by your good descriptions of it all. I tip my hat to you.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

Thank you very much! In my opinion, part of the fun of DF comes from the communal sharing aspect, so I'm glad you've voiced your appreciation of it.

I've increased the size of the area viewable in Stonesense to 100x100, but it still isn't enough to get the whole dome in a single shot. Unless there is someway to zoom in and out (I haven't seen anything to suggest there is), and so long as the entire map screenshot function is broken, I'll have to settle for taking multiple individual screenshots in Stonesense.

In this case, I've taken four shots in Stonesense from different angles of the artificial magma sea. Visible as well is the temple, the top of the citadel, and the bridges connecting them to the only current exit from the fortress. None of the shots fully capture the entire dome, but together they give a pretty solid idea.

The first picture is oriented to the northwest, and the point of view rotates 90 degrees clockwise afterwards.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2011, 11:56:00 pm »

In my haste to finish the filling of the dome I did not account for one thing:

Magma pressurization.

On the upper right, there, is the prince's quarters. His bedroom is built over a channeled out vein of hematite, covered over with steel grates. When the dome was filled to the level of the pumps, the pressurized magma spewed up through the grates with such force that it struck the ceiling. The room flooded within seconds. Luckily, Prince Asmel had just left the room to fill his waterskin...

...but now the magma is flowing down the adjoining corridor and into the rest of the citadel.

The city was designed to be magma-proof, but the red guildhall is now much, much hotter than it was ever meant to be. Molten rock flows up ramps and into the stairwell...

...and drops down to begin filling the farms.

Nish Degzasit rushes down the long, long corridor to the map room, where he will pull the lever that ceases the pumps.

How many dwarves will die in the heat before he gets there?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2011, 12:26:54 am »

"Magma pressurization" - AFAIK there is nothing like magma pressure.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2011, 12:38:35 am »

"Magma pressurization" - AFAIK there is nothing like magma pressure.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're saying there is nothing in DF quite like magma pressure - in that it is a terrifying and horrific phenomena to come across unexpectedly - I would only partially agree, since it would be quite similar to a few other things in the game.

If you're saying that there is no magma pressure... I would direct you to the pictures in my previous post, and the movie I am about to post to the DFMA.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2011, 12:50:14 am »

This is the face of pressurized magma.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2011, 01:13:51 am »

Unfortunately, there's a bug. The game crashes every time the magma gets pressurized and surges into the inside of the buildings (I've tried it 3 times). I got a dwarf to the lever in time to stop the pumping before the last layer filled up, and so far, no crash. Disappointing.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46