Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159436 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2011, 01:46:36 am »

Thanks DS.
and i bet youde still get an awesome readership.

Ah, well, I'm taking a composition heavy course this semester at college, which kind of monopolizes my essay-writing time. I'm sure I'll be able to put up something, though.

As for updates, I've fully recruited the last two dwarven caravans that have come around. I don't recall caravans visiting in the past, but that might be due to me turning off certain alerts during dome excavation long ago. As before, no new children have been born. The problems encountered during the Second Flooding have been fixed, and I am currently waiting for the lake to drain completely before the dome can be flooded with magma once again (this time, hopefully, without any major problems).
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:56 pm »

So far, 19 merchants have been recruited to the fort, along with all their goods. So far, they've proven to be useful as nothing but haulers (even then, I can only alter their labors via Dwarf Therapist). The caravan guards, however, despite not being able to be enlisted in the fortress military, can have their labors altered in game, and have been having strange moods - the first the fortress has seen in decades. Among the new artifacts are The Ferocious Shame, an adamantine figurine of dwarves; Dreamedbeaks, an obsidian throne; and Failedhushed the Music of Balding, a light yellow diamond coffin.

With all known leaks fixed, a new seal in place at the bottom of the lake, and the ability to completely drain water from the dome, flooding can commence as soon as some hauling jobs have finished. Should be sometime tonight, and of course, I'll have screenshots.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

It's the year 190, mid-spring, and flooding has commenced!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the cavern floor, one of the lowest points in the dome. The magma on either side of the isthmus occupies what was originally a lakebed. I've set up a system by which the lake can be drained or filled with water on a whim. Obviously, in preparation for the dome's filling of magma (this being the third time this has been attempted), the lake has been drained of water.

Going is slow, so it might not even be all filled by tonight. Or tomorrow.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 11:59:28 pm »

Can you assign bedrooms to the recruited merchants?  If so, can you provoke a marriage?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2011, 12:06:09 am »

Yes, so ostensibly. I've done it before, when I attempted an 'arranged' marriage between the eldest Murdershot girl and another dwarf born in the fortress. They did become lovers, but never married, as they both died in the great tantrum spiral of 135. I've had the dwarves working nonstop since I've started recruiting the merchants, so it simply hasn't been a possibility, or a priority. Now that the dome is flooding, and all the dwarves are living inside it (which has long been my primary goal), I can start work on all these other things.

In this pic, you can see how the magma clogs up on the right, slowly spilling along the avenue and draining into lower portions of the dome.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:16 am »

It's getting hot in here...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2011, 01:02:42 am »

Well, just to confirm, these are merchants that you cheated in via Runesmith.  Is it possible to assign them a bedroom, or is that covered in their "fake citizenship" deal?  If it's possible, then you should push them towards marriage and see if they produce beardlings.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2011, 01:08:34 am »

Yeah, that's what's throwing me off. They appear on lists to assign them rooms, but not on the lists to assign them to squads in the military. They participate in fortress activities, such as parties (which are thrown frequently, and are heavily attended), and are making friends in the fort. I'm currently digging out a new suite of rooms in the barracks, which will house naturalized merchants.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:17 am »

While the new rooms were being dug out, the game paused. "Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located."

Oh, dear dwarves. Soon, all your stone will be warm.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2011, 02:03:41 am »

What's the current dwarf count?  The converted sentients must be put into a separate list. 

Also, if it's ok with you, all your really notable dwarves should be closely inspected.  Pwetty Pwease. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2011, 12:03:42 pm »

So far, 33 dwarves have been converted, and added to the previous 92 citizens, for a total of 125 dwarves.

And I'd be happy to provide more information about particularly notable dwarves (the royal family, Asmel Nirsazir, and Vabok Earthenfins spring to mind), once the dome is finished filling. My FPS is hovering around 2 right now, which makes doing just about anything tedious.

As the magma finally begins to spill over the top of the "red" guildhall (the Gearguild and Gloveowners clans have furniture crafted from blood thorn and goblin-cap), the next open area between structures begins to fill. Murdershot Square, located between two guildhalls, the central mesa, and the citadel, is usually a pretty high-traffic area.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2011, 09:25:30 pm »

I've hit a snag.

The game crashes consistently around the same time, the 6th or 7th of Hematite (early summer) in 190. I've reproduced the crash three times so far, but I have no idea what causes it.

I've got plenty of backup saves from earlier seasons (going back to the beginning of 188) that I can revert to if necessary, not to mention the save on the DFFD, but I was wondering if anyone had any workaround ideas. It's a shot in the dark, but I just thought I'd ask.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:08 pm »

errorlog?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:16 pm »

Nothing. I'm restarting from before the flooding began. I should reach early summer within a relatively short span of time, and then we'll see what happens.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »

Whatever it is you're doing, the universe doesn't want it.  It tried to dissuade you with ceased population growth, and then with FPS and slow singular deaths.  The forces of nature itself would rather rend themselves asunder than allow your progression.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46