Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159495 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves/THE END IS NIGH (spoilers)
« Reply #435 on: December 14, 2011, 02:14:07 am »

Edit some workshop reaction real fast and make the skill required be Appraisal? Then like, anyone smelting gold or whatever gets Appraisal EXP instead.

Also, then I figure that sooner or later, those demons will break that door. It'll just take time.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:42 am »

Oh jeez, my skill at modding is literally non-existent. If someone wants to detail the process of doing what you just described for me, I'd be happy to oblige, but at the moment, I wouldn't have any idea what to do.

Also, the monument is apparently a favorite spot now for the demons. These mite brutes are the second group of fiends I have spotted loitering immediately outside the entrance to the memorial chamber/treasure vault.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:21 am »

I assume this is on a vanilla DF with no mods included. No problem even if there are mods since this thing can be used on any reaction txt file. Anyway.

I take no responsibility in sudden unimaginable screw ups that could destroy the whole fabric of the world your fort resides in on. Just to be safe, you could always just make a safe unedited copy of the game and then edit the reaction.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:00 am »

I fiddled around with a few reactions, and managed to get things working in an alternate save. As of the mid-summer of 233, total created fortress wealth is 52,612,368 dorf-bucks. So, not exactly near the billions, he he. Then again, if I had turned all of that stone into stones crafts instead of flooding the dome with magma...
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 14, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »

The dome is empty.

The long avenues that wind through the fortress are unwalked except by the occasional crundle that finds its way through the labyrinth of mines beneath the fortress. At some point in the past, when prospects were brighter, statues were placed in the streets - statues of traveling dwaves, relating to the founding of Weatherwires in the early spring of 126. Now, in 223, the only dwarves who walk these streets are those of stone and metal, mute witnesses to the fall of the fortress whose founding they commemorate.

Workshops, once crowded with bustling dwarves hauling raw materials and finished goods to and fro, now stand empty. Scores of bedrooms, meant to house the beginnings of a utopian empire, are now frequented only by the ghosts of those who slept there in life. Personal belongings litter hallways and open areas alike, the only evidence that there were once dwarves who lived here at all.

Communal areas have been abandoned. The living still come to the wells under the citadel occasionally, to wipe their feet clean of whatever foul liquid they have stepped in - usually the blood or vomit of their fallen comrades. They know it is only a matter of time before they, too, are sent to join the others in the afterlife. Mafol Boulderchamber, a merchant, is the next to go; scared to death by Ilral Visioncloistered.

There are 15 dwarves left in the fortress. Of those, two-thirds were inducted into the fortress from caravans:

Goden Mawknife, bone carver.
Onol Plaitorbs, stonecrafter.
Alåth Oilycyclone, planter.
Litast Wiremansion, planter.
Dakost Paddlecreeds, planter.
Stâkud Duskbooks, merchant.
Tun Dyefight, merchant.
Mistêm Oilytaut, merchant and legendary engraver.
Solon Townclenched, merchant.
Reg Oiledsacks, merchant.

There are only three dwarves left who were either willing immigrants to the fortress, or descendants thereof.

Bembul Scouredpaints of clan Gearguild - last member of the original clans.
Nomal Biglabors the Lush Convent of Dwelling, legendary warrior.
Èzum Openeddoors the Robust Stoker of Lances, legendary warrior.

And then there are the two Quakedented children who have survived:

Såkzul Freerelics, daughter, age 9.
Atír Helmsseed, son, age 7.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 14, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »

Addendum: Nomal Biglabors had died. He finally succumbed to infection of wounds suffered at the end of a short fall in hell. Chalk it up to a lack of skilled medical dwarves in the fortress. Nomal was the last of the Lone Lashes, an experimental squad which was formed during the early years. Nomal and his squadmates wielded whips and scourges scrounged from the bodies of fallen goblins, and used them to great effect. After suffering a crippling spinal injury during the first incursion into hell, he was paralyzed from the waist down, but during the subsequent forays into the abyss, managed to successfully defend himself and others from two or more demons multiple times.

Now, there are 14.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 14, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »

I dare say this fort deserves a wiki page of some sort, we should hold a vote

Definitely one of the most epic fort stories I've read
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 14, 2011, 04:48:44 pm »

Definitely one of the most epic fort stories I've read

Seconded. Seconded like hell.

EDIT: heck, this is worthy of fan fiction at this point. Though I might not want to know what people have in mind for that...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:51:14 pm by Cellmonk »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 14, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Thirded.  Although I'm not sure it necessarily needs a vote, just someone to make the page for it.

It'd make a great audiobook.

I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 14, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

We need to find a B12er with a chocolate rain voice to narrate the saga of Weatherwires.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:16 am »

Ilral Visioncloistered has claimed another victim: Bembul Scouredpaints, last of the Gearguild clan. Indeed, Bembul was the last of all of the old clans, whose names are echoed in engravings or statues about the fortress, or etched upon the tombs of the dead. She had been infirm for many years, unable to hold a weapon or haul an item (much to my chagrin - my announcement menu, at least, is grateful for the death).

Bembul's death marks the end of a grand experiment I had planned on executing from the early days of Weatherwires - by giving all children family-based nicknames, I could track the genealogy of the entire fortress through the decades. Hence, the family names: Gearguild, Languagemetal, Murdershot. The infertility dashed any hopes I had concerning that endeavor long before I began narrating the progress of the fortress in this thread.

We need to find a B12er with a chocolate rain voice to narrate the saga of Weatherwires.

I'd have to rewrite the entire thing to make it palatable as an audiobook. That said, I enjoy storytelling (if you couldn't tell) and reading books aloud, and I've also been told I have a voice that is "easy to listen to," so I might attempt to record it myself if there's demand enough for it.

As for my opinion of the quality of this thread... well, let's just say everyone is their own harshest critic.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:14 am »

I just tried recording a previous post - I'm definitely going to either have to rewrite the posts to work in a more conversational tone, or I'll have to work on my reading. In either case, I'm going to let that issue down until the story has finished.

...and it's progressing quickly to its end. Såkzul Freerelics, one of the remaining Quakedented children, has perished. Prior to the excursions into hell, I had been linking crundle cages to levers in groups of ten, so that the military could get some "hands-on training." The last set of linked cages was never used, so I stationed Èzum Openeddoors next to them and pulled the lever. The crundles scattered like cockroaches, and a few managed to slip past the commander. Two crossed paths with Såkzul, and tore the child apart. All remaining crundle cages are being dumped into the volcano.

Also, quite interestingly...

This plump helmet man is flashing between purple and pink, like one would expect a legendary noble to do. Perhaps the fungus men have accepted him as their king.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 15, 2011, 02:56:13 am »

This plump helmet man is flashing between purple and pink, like one would expect a legendary noble to do. Perhaps the fungus men have accepted him as their king.

Perhaps the plump helmet man is the rightful heir to the dwarrow. Perhaps the beards of dwarrows are merely patches of residual fuzz from their previously fungal existence. Perhaps that passing of the dwarrows is but a great transition, to purity, and mushroomyness. Perhaps the mushmen are wiser than their predecessors, and will live out eternity in their great domed cavern, after the surface has become one with hell, after the adamantine spires have pierced the surface. Their world is small, but the dwarrows' world is small. The overlord's world is small. What tiny worlds will they conjure... or are they the last turtle on a great stack?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2011, 04:50:12 am »

the souls of dwarves are being reborn into these plump helmet men.

that's why they couldnt breed, because the world had decided to change them?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 15, 2011, 04:53:12 am »

Thousands of years from now, archeologists will finally discover the last known dwarf settlement and the numerous plump helmet men that have formed a crude society there, scrounging together what few tools remain after years of decay.

After decades of research and cracking the ancient dwarven language, they discover that it was the plump helmet men behind the sudden infertility of dwarves!

DUN DUN DUUUUN.

And they never even considered such a possibility, letting the benign but surprisingly malignant plump helmet men loiter about.

Scientists will call it a tragedy, while society(especially the elves) will call it fucking hilarious.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46