Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159426 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »

Poetic. Much like the man in my profile pic, I spit in the face of the forces of nature.

...in DF, at least. IRL, I enjoy backpacking, and have a healthy respect for those sorts of things.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2011, 06:14:26 am »

If only there really was a way to Reanimate your dead, natural dorfs...

But, since you can't, just keep doing convertions. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2011, 11:08:54 am »

If only, right?

It's late spring in the alternate save, so I'll be encountering the bugged date very soon.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:30 am »

It's the 13th of hematite, and no crash yet. I'm going to wait another season or two before I commence flooding in order to have enough backup autosaves.

In the meantime, a little humor:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »

It's midwinter in 190, and the dome has begun flooding... again.

Hopefully, things will go correctly, this time.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:13 pm »

Flooding is progressing nicely. While it continues, I thought I'd post the results of an experiment I conducted during the first flooding, after the dome was first excavated, concerning the magma-safety of nether-cap.

3rd Moonstone, 149 Early Winter - Showing 69,500 stones. The magma has begun to reach the entry hall to the Murdershot Citadel, which contains an array of crafts and buildings made of nether-cap, in an attempt to test nether-cap's magma-resistance.

21st Moonstone - All of the nether-cap buildings and items remained unharmed! Buildings which contained items, such as the coffin containing the remains of Id Zonlerom, remained unharmed, but the items inside spontaneously combusted from heat. The same for loose items: syrup boils in barrels, copper weapons melt in bins, and the gem bin currently contains 8 'magmas' and 2 !!rough light yellow diamonds!!. A hen in a nether-cap cage bled to death, ostensibly from the heat.

14th Hematite, 153, Early Summer - A cyclops has arrived. Three megabeast attacks in three consecutive years? He was easily slain by the same dwarf that slew the previous two. Also, the nether-cap bins, after cooling back off, reveal interesting results: the bin which contained a copper shield, which melted into a glob of molten copper during the flood, now contains a single unit of 'copper.' This stone can apparently be designated to be melted. Also, a gem bin, which contained 2 rough yellow diamonds and 8 other gemstones originally (which melted into 8 units of 'magma,' and the diamonds spontaneously combusted) now contains, again, the original 8 gemstones. The gems are cut - I don't recall if they were originally or not. Further tests must be conducted.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2011, 01:28:11 am »

Please give us a natural dwarf count, with a separate list of converted citizens. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2011, 11:24:28 am »

Nothing has changed since the last count except for the addition of a single caravan, about 6 merchants with as many guards.

Unfortunately, the crash occurred again while filling. However, it happened at almost the same time as the last, relative to when the pumps were activated: approximately one season. I still don't know what's causing it, but the fact that the crash is both reproducible and predictable means that I might be able to find out.

First I'd like to rule out my own computer as a contributing factor. I will post a save on DFFD, taken at the moment flooding commences. Anyone who wants to participate would download the save, run it, and approximate the date or month of the crash, if it occurs at all. If it happens consistently, we can be sure my computer itself is not the issue.

So, who would be interested in taking part in this experiment? At the very least, it would give you a firsthand look at the magma deluge.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

Here is a link to the bugged save, via DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5029

For people who are willing to run the save for me and see if they get a crash, it is imperative that you don't modify anything in the save. Just let it run, and if you get a crash (or don't get a crash) sometime in early 191, post about it here. Of course, you can cancel the pulling of the lever and have fun with the fort on your own, knock yourself out, but for the experiment, it's important that nothing changes.

Any takers?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2011, 01:00:48 pm »

Just bumping this thread for exposure, in case anyone who might be interested hadn't seen the previous post. I'm conducting secondary experiments to try and isolate the crash, but I'm still looking for people to test the flooding crash. I'll probably post a thread in the General Discussion forum if no one here volunteers, since I know that forum gets more traffic, and has a different poster demographic.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »

Lately, I had been flooding my fortress with magma as well (because it was already dead anyway), and every single time it would crash at some point. Perhaps there's a point where the game cannot handle the flooding anymore and just shuts down?

As much as I'd love to, I'm not going to download your save because my computer can already not handle a little fort with 100 dwarves, let alone a huge megaproject fort with an intricate pump stack. It would completely obliterate my FPS.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »

Understandable, and no worries.

It's interesting that you've had a similar problem, though... perhaps it is related. I have considered flooding the dome bit by bit; activating the pumps for only a few days, letting the magma settle, and then starting again. It's entirely possible that that would solve the problem.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2011, 07:35:55 pm »

Out of curiosity, could you give a rough estimate of the volume of magma you've got when the crash occurs? I just need to reassure myself that some stuff I'm planning shouldn't exceed the magma limit....

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2011, 07:39:19 pm »

Volume? Hmm... it's hard to say. The dome doesn't fill evenly, and it's difficult to estimate by any easy means. To give you an idea, I've got 9 separate pump stacks (not actual stacks... more like rows). These pumps run non-stop for somewhere between 2 and 3 months before the crash occurs.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »

I've been filling the dome in bursts, letting the pumps run for a week or two, with time in between for the magma to level out. So far, no crashes to report. The entire process is extremely tedious, and there's really nothing else to report.

There are currently 135 dwarves in the fortress in total. 93 of those are actual citizens, while the others are recruited merchants and their guards. The 24 merchants are actually the most numerous profession in the fort, at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46