Add Ogre Tribes - done
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 31, 2012, 09:54:22 am

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41

Author Topic: Warhammer Fortress - a Warhammer Total Conversion - V1.4.1  (Read 111485 times)

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer Fortress - a Warhammer Total Coversion - V1.3.2
« Reply #375 on: March 08, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

I have to say while running simulations, I have noticed an actually surprising result, cant wait to let you guys know.

Well I have some preliminary results.
To create a control Goblins were first tested against Dwarfs both with no skill points added or items. The result was a 50% win rate for the Dwarfs plus or minus 3%.
This means there is no significant difference in the combat capability of dwarfs and goblins which will give us a good control base. Then a second control was created. This was 176 battles between goblins and dwarfs both clad in full copper equipment. The results from this was once again a comfortable no significant difference which would give us a material to compare against. The following chart will give the overall material abilities of each material in comparison or relative to copper.

one sec just have to recal numbers, lol just having to redue gromril as i forgot to do two gauntlets and boots
k here it is

Material-----------Number of Battles----------------wins--------------how much of a difference from copper
copper------------------176---------------------------88--------------------------0%+
Bronze------------------176--------------------------127-------------------------22%+
Steel--------------------176--------------------------129-------------------------23%+
Gromril-----------------176---------------------------139------------------------29%+
scrap copper------------176--------------------------76--------------------------7%-
scrap Bronze-----------176---------------------------141-------------------------30%+
Scrap Iron---------------176--------------------------133-------------------------26%+
silver--------------------176---------------------------65--------------------------10%-
gold---------------------176---------------------------25--------------------------36%-
runic---------------------176--------------------------136-------------------------27%+
elaborate runic---------176---------------------------144-------------------------32%+
Blood Iron--------------176---------------------------124-------------------------21%+

What this demonstrates is how powerful a material is, when compared to copper (which is our base or control). I will be doing the rest of the new materials, then creatures, then new items. It will take me a while as I am running 176 battles per item, material or creature to get good sound results. If you guys wish for something to be tested sooner rather than later just let me know. I hope this info helps. And if you make any changes to things after I test them, feel free to inform me and I will run another test.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:12:23 am by Stronghammer »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:12 am »

Would anyone mind if I changed the savage orcs a bit to make them more "orky" (because right now they are pretty much big DF goblins, just not as smart)?

Currently working on night goblin "alchemy". First version will include only about 3 results (explosion, cow and troll). I'll add more later on.

EDIT: Stronghammer, could you compare the strenght of each race/caste?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:34:45 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 13, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »

Hey ya, race and cast is in progress, just this past weekend to present my house has been having new floors put in which requires LOTS of time and energy. By this saturday I hope to resume progress and have a testing update.
I have done the testing for the Beastman mod. Again the basic goblin was used as the base comparison creature(to keep it consistent with other testing).
ungor are 26% weaker then goblins, Gor are 20% weaker then goblin, Bestigor are 19% stronger, and Centigor are 31% stronger.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:23:45 am by Stronghammer »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:54 am »

Gor are 20% weaker then goblin.

I guess I'll have to tweak that one.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »

:P just a little, the common testing basis is DF goblins, and a note to the modders. Please for the purpose of my testing parameters please keep the DF goblin in the raws, even if you disable them for play as it would make my life sooooo much easier. I now have the data on Bretonnians which from the results I would suggest some tweaking as they are rather strong. (and just for everyones knowledge these tests are being conducted on a 1v1 basis (176 fights) with no equipment, to remove all possible foreign variables) Noble 67% stronger, Peasent 11% stronger, craftsmen 7% stronger, mounted Knight 100% stronger ( a note here, we are unable to reliably use these results as we dont know actually how much stronger the knights are as they never lost. This means that we know they are of sufficient strength to never be beaten, yet we do not know how much further they are then that. Also the reason that additional goblins were not added is that it now adds in additional variables we do not know and which would ruin potential results usefulness. I will be finding a creature that is fifty percent stronger then goblin and then retesting the Knight.), Pilgrim 7% stronger, Champion 99% stronger,(note here, these results come into the same problem as the mounted knight mentioned earlier the only thing is that 1 goblin won in 176 fights, meaning that he is an anomaly and that in fact the champion should win all the time verse goblins.) Right so that is the bretonnians I will move on to chaos next.

And all I can say, is that from all the deaths from my testing so far Korne would be pleased with the blood and skulls GALORE.)

interesting note testing to present has caused (includeing the posted material tests)  4224 deaths

edit: currently half way through the chaos race, and am finding that most of the race is waaaaaay to strong. All so far are 100% stronger then goblins and result in the same problem as the mounted knight.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:49:36 am by Stronghammer »

SDood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 15, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »

Thanks for all your work Stronghammer.

Sorry guys i have been really busy, ill try and get the new version out when i can.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »

Awesome work with the testing, Stronghammer. This is really cool stuff!

If I may make a constructive critique:

From the sounds of it, the testing occurs on either a 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 etc. basis. As in there is an equal number of goblins as there are creatures being tested. The issue with this is that if there is any appreciable difference in deadliness, the even moderately deadlier creature will win virtually every time. This is because, if numbers are even, the goblins cannot hope to overcome said disadvantage. As it is right now, I would completely want mounted brettonians/champions/chaos warriors to beat equal numbers of goblins every time (although I can't see cultists, which are smaller than humans and much more fragile and weak winning so much)--all that is being measured right now is if a creature is actually deadlier than a goblin, not how much deadlier than a goblin they are.

Another issue would be the lack of weaponry or armour (although I understand that is a huge pain). When creatures get bigger, they become rapidly more difficult to kill without weapons and size becomes an even bigger factor than it normally would be.

Not having skills means that some of my Chaos stuff (which start out will skill) will have an insane advantage that would not exist in "da real world", as most enemies (especially sieges) tend to have developed skills. Although the skills thing probably isn't needed to be changed in the testing.

My suggestion is to continuously increase the ratio of goblins:X (X being the tested creature). Once the goblins win 10 fights in a row (running something like 50 sims before changing the ratio), we know the critical number of goblins to reliably beat that kind of creature. This would give us an idea of about how dangerous that creature actually is, with goblins as an easy reference point. I call this the Critical Goblin Horde Index, or CGHI, and am hoping to be nominated for the Nobel peace prize with it.

For example, I ran a quick simulation with dwarves and goblins. When CGHI ratio was 1:1 (5 goblins to 5 dwarves), the goblins won half the time (just like you found). As soon as I increased the CGHI ratio to 2:1 (10 goblins to 5 dwarves), the dwarves lost immediately, making the CGHI rating for a dwarf 2 (as it takes 2 goblins for every one dwarf to beat that dwarf virtually every time).

I will begin doing some testing like this with basic weapons being used (although the weapons will essentially add a whole other variable, it will greatly reduce the amplifying effect size has). This new test type will be called the Weapon-Adjusted Critical Goblin Horde Index (WACGHI). I'm sure to get that nomination now!

A further test type could be to adjust for armour, and then another for skill, and then another for all of them together. This would be the most accurate way to actually gauge the power of a creature instead of seeing if it is simply stronger than a goblin by an appreciable margin.

PRELIMINARY TESTING (others feel free to use this means of testing):

Equipment used:

-Iron shortswords for all subjects

Skills:

-All subjects boosted to Proficient Fighter if they were not already.

Subjects:

-5 Brettonians, Mounted:

Initial testing results:

Subjects easily dispatched 5, 10, and 15 goblins, sustaining some injuries throughout. Further rounds of testing will commence.

Initial Conclusion:

Mounted Brettonians possess a Skill-and-Equipment-Adjusted Critical Goblin Horde Index of at least 3.

Interesting New Results:

As soon as the CGHI ratio was increased from 3 to 4 (20 goblins to 5 brettonians), the Brettonians were killed in every fight, with goblins taking moderate (under 50%) casualties. Fine tuning will now occur to find the precise number.

Revised Information:

Spacing seems to be critical.

My initial test with 20 goblins (resulting in a decisive goblin victory) was conflicting with a new result using 20 goblins wherein the mounted knights won with moderate-severe casualties. In the initial test, the knights were spaced a single tile apart, in the more recent ones, they were shoulder to shoulder. In both tests, goblins were 7 tiles away shoulder to shoulder. It is possible that fighting shoulder to shoulder is greatly advantageous. Further testing ongoing to test this spacing hypothesis.

CONFIRMED:

Spacing is enormously important. Over 5 fights with the spacing of the brettonians tweaked each time, their spacing has proved integral in their victory over 20 goblins. In some cases, when placed far from allies, a knight would be quickly overwhelmed and killed, allowing his killers to proceed to gang up on other knights, rapidly killing them. Goblins were able to achieve quick victories when the brettonians were spread more than a tile or two apart but would lose when the brettonians were fighting shoulder to shoulder. All further testing must take place with all participants shoulder to shoulder to eliminate that variable. Distance between the two lines will remain at 7 spaces.

I am also considering a change in how the goblins are spaced. Brettonians continue to win fights when the goblins are even up to 25 in number. I could observe that the brettonians would quickly kill the goblins immediately in front of them whilst the goblin's flanks attempted to wheel around. This is fascinating.

I will be conducting experiments with spacing now between goblins to determine which formation is optimal.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:10:41 pm by mrtspence »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:44 pm »

Will you add Natural Abilities for some races? Like the Eldar. (hehehe send an Eldritch Storm and watch a big cloud expand and give them syndromes)

Anyway il download when the internets up (on a phone)

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 15, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

Will you add Natural Abilities for some races? Like the Eldar. (hehehe send an Eldritch Storm and watch a big cloud expand and give them syndromes)

Eldar? This is Warhammer fantasy, not Warhammer 40k

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:54 pm »

Eldar? This is Warhammer fantasy, not Warhammer 40k

Oh.... Ignore me then

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2012, 03:15:13 pm »

Ha ha! Eldar are pretty neat though. Despite being space elves in theory, I actually find them to be much more interesting than that origin would imply. But ya, this is indeed a fantasy mod.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »

Hey mrtspence

I like your idea, the reason that I am conducting it on a 1v1 no equipment and no skill lvl ups is for the following reasons.

1- I wanted to test the "base" creature the reason I did this was that in game both the player will lvl the skills of their people and the game when seiging or attacking will add skill points to the creature. Thus it becomes unpredictable to test for what you will "always" be facing. Thus by having each creature with no added skills or numbers we are able to compare pound for pound how each creature fares.

2- the reason that additional numbers where not added is that when that is done you increase the number of hits upon the creature by a numerous amount. This becomes no longer a test of creature strength comparative to the goblin which is are standard of testing multiple creatures. Instead it becomes a test of endurance and how much punishment a creature can take. There is subtle differences and your method is a useful one for testing how well a defensive force can hold against many weaker opponents. Yet my testing I wanted to do was create a comparative chart of varying strengths that many creatures can be compared to.

Now with that out of the way, let me say I really do like your method of testing and ideas behind it. My statements of the fact that bretonian knights and chaos are too strong are not just based off their tests against the goblins. WHat those statements were from was then taking the chaos and bretonian results and comparing them to the other races results. Then combined with the large strength of the metals available to the chaos creates a creature that becomes largely unbalanced against the other races. For example if even 6 chaos warriors with blood iron attacked my dwarven settlement (who are of equal strength to goblins, and on average have iron to steel equipment), they would require at least 10 dwarves to even hope of holding off the chaos. This then combined with the fact that seiges usually run around 12-24 creatures results in dwarven forces requiring at least 24-48 highly trained and highly equiped dwarves (full time soldiers). I like the strength of the chaos and bretonnians, the only thing that I was suggesting was that with the current system of creature strength in place (all other races so far) those races pose a huge threat.

AAAAAAnyways thx for listening to my blab. I intend on revisiting the creatures of a hundred percent win rates with creatures that are the strength of 25% more then the goblins and then increasing the creature strength test by plus 25% goblin every time.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:59 pm »

Ha ha! Eldar are pretty neat though. Despite being space elves in theory, I actually find them to be much more interesting than that origin would imply. But ya, this is indeed a fantasy mod.

In your spare time, could you work on a 40K mod pwease? They all got abandoned

Rip goat, more loli

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:24 pm »

There is a Necromunda one around. Fairly recent. Or you could learn how to mod (not hard) and try to get a collaborative mod going like this one.

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »

There is a Necromunda one around. Fairly recent. Or you could learn how to mod (not hard) and try to get a collaborative mod going like this one.

Indeed our Necromunda mod is still rolling and should see a new release soon, bringing it up to date with the latest DF version.  That said, there is a lot of content from Warhammer 40k that we won't be covering at all, or only in a very limited fashion, so there is room for some other kind of WH40k mod in addition to our focused mod.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41