Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange Mood: Drives me to dispair -.-  (Read 8072 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Strange Mood: Drives me to dispair -.-
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 02:54:16 pm »

You can demand items during negotiations, the next year caravan may bring them. That would be too late in this case ...

Because of moody demands and and overall need for bags to store items I always order all sorts of thread, cloth und leather (and other useful things) from the caravans, just in case ... (You can also order animals.)
Yeah, but I can only order what will be offered to me. I can't order yarn cloth or yarn thread or shearable animals because the liason is not offering me such items.

What version of the game was the world you are playing in generated in?  You get these kinds of problems mostly when you generate a world in a version that didn't have yarn, then play in a version that does.

Until now I don't find any way to get yarn... maybe someone can help me to modify the RAWs to make at least llamas and/or musk oxes shearable. Would this be a possible solution for a running fortress? Or would I have to start a very new world/fortress to get this bonus?

Try opening material_template_default, find [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:THREAD_PLANT_TEMPLATE], and add [YARN] to it.  That should make plant thread count as yarn for strange moods.  You shouldn't have to gen a new world for it to work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »

Given the workshop claimed and the dwarf's skills, this is definitely a Stone Crafter mood, so the "quarry" demand (stones) is the primary material, and it has already been gathered. However, she cannot possibly be demanding the items in the order you indicated, given what she has collected so far - if she's collected cloth, she should have also collected bones and rough+cut gems by now.
What does this mean? o.O
Oops... my fault. I posted the list of demands in a wrong order *shame on me*

She sketches pictures of
a quarry
stacked cloth
stacked leather
skeletons
cut gems
rough gems
(I edited my first post to correct this)

I'm so sorry...
I was quite sure I had posted the correct list but I'm wrong (or DF is fooling me (just kidding))
Now it is clear to me that it must be yarn cloth. There is no other pssibility left, because I have plenty amounts of leather (the next item in the list) available what she doesn't haul, so she seems to stop at the "stacked cloth" demand.
@Quietust: Thank you for helping me to find and correct my mistake.
Sorry for stealing your time by giving wrong informations.

Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 03:12:34 pm »

What version of the game was the world you are playing in generated in?
I really don't know. It was a version of DF I deleted after I downloaded the LazyNewbPack and after I copied my fortress from the older version to the newer ons (v31.25).
I will try to edit the RAW as you described.

Maybe I should begin a new fortress in a newly generated world to avoid such problems and to stop being annoying/bothersome here *g* Because it seems a lot of problems are avoidable if there would be no version conflict or something...

Thank you all for helping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit:
After she hauled a second item of "rope reed fiber cloth" (as a replacement for yarn), bones, cutted gems and rough gems I got the following message:

Stinthad Adekezum has begun a mysterious construction

Thank you all again for helping, I will engrave some walls just for you all for helping me in an extraordinary way and amount of time and words. The hint of sphalerite really makes it. GREAT!!!

Here we can see how happy she is finishing now her artefact (okay... she should not be smithing, but I can't find another appropriate picture ;) )

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:29:04 pm by xelo »
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 04:22:13 pm »

Hi all.

My turn to have a stuck strange mood.

Kosoth the farmer, taken by a fey mood, has claimed a craftdwarf's workshop.

Kosoth screams, in that order:
I must have:
- body parts!
- yarn cloth!
- rock!
- rock bars!
- plant cloth!

Kosoth had not collected anything. I suspected a lack of body parts, so I slaughtered a bull. Kosoth took some bull bones, But continued screaming.
Just to be sure, I also slaughtered a drake, in case the bull's bones were not diverse enough. Kosoth did not take anything else.

I weaved some yarn. But anyway, my stocks show that I have plenty of sheep, llama and alpaca wool cloth. Shouldn't the yarn cloth be the next thing to collect ?

Of course I have plenty of rocks, I also have various rock blocks available, and metal bars. But no metal blocks. And I have some pig tail cloth.

Kosoth likes pitchblende and adamantine. Kosoth only has fighting, farming and social skills. I suppose this is a bonecrafting mood.

I dug my first adamantine just for Kosoth. This didn't make her move out of the workshop. Now I'm extracting strands. Maybe I will have to weave adamantine strands and adamantine cloth will count as yarn cloth ? I fear that this will take too long anyway. I have no dwarf with experience in strand extraction.
I'm also forging gold blocks, just in case.

Any Idea ?
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:33:52 pm »

Make sure that your yarn cloth hasn't all been claimed by a hospital.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »

Remember, for every 2 seconds an items shows in the list, you need 1 of that item. Bones work in stacks though, so they take the whole stack as 1 item unfortunately.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

forumist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 05:12:42 pm »

Make sure that your yarn cloth hasn't all been claimed by a hospital.

In the Hospital menu, I reduced the amount of cloth in the hospitals to zero.

I could extract strands, but not enough to weave something. And now Kosoth is struck by melancholy... I'll never know what was really missing.

Remember, for every 2 seconds an items shows in the list, you need 1 of that item. Bones work in stacks though, so they take the whole stack as 1 item unfortunately.

The dwarf did not take the bones from the slaughtered drake (or do drakes not leave bones ? -> I can't find drake bones in my stocks; only a skull ! That was probably the problem... I should have waited for your advices instead of going into foolish hypotheses like the dwarf needs adamantine cloth.)

Thanks for the help anyway. At least this made me start an adamantine industry.
Don't quote me on that.
Cacame channels aquifers into submission by staring at them. Cacame is so badass, kobolds give him their children to leave them alone. If Hidden Fun Stuff digs too far down, they hit Cacame. Cacame once took a Tantrum Spiral and impaled four enemies on it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

Ducks are too small too leave any bones (or meat, or leather, or anything but a skull) when slaughtered. You need to slaughter a larger animal to get bones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »

Hey, another newb with a related question. (Oh gosh I have so many questions, but I guess I can start here.)

My Miner dwarf is possessed (I hate the possessed ones) and wants
bones...yes
bars...metal
cloth...thread
tree...life
stone... rock

When I press Q and mouse over the Mason shop where the dwarf has holed up, it seems to always start with the bones line, so I assume that's the 'base' request? I saved the game several hours ago and no longer recall if she went and got any materials yet. There are two refuse piles outside with bajillions of Cow Moose bones (14) and Deer bone (16) and the like, so wouldn't she be able to get as many bones as she wants? I'm not skilled enough to know how to make a hunter go find a specific type of animal to kill and bring back and hope she gets bones out of the butcher shop.

I thought I was short on cloth, so I did the edit-plant-fibers-with-yarn thing but I guess that wasn't the issue? Also I checked my Z>stocks menu and it says I have
cloth 9 (white) 200 (red)
giant cave spider silk cloth (42)
sheep wool cloth (13)
llama wool cloth (19)
alpaca wool cloth (28)
cave spider silk cloth (38)
pig tail fiber cloth (69)

So, shouldn't that be enough to choose from? Also next to my loom I have stockpiles of pig tail fiber cloth (and sometimes the name has parentheses or other symbols next to the name, gotta figure out what that means).

I don't understand the metal bars line. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Bar and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Metal make me think I need to have a bar of a 'pure metal' and not off the 'alloy' chart? Z>stocks>bars says
nickel bars
bronze bars (3)
coke (10)

My smelter only has white options of hematite, cassiterite, tetrahedrite, magnetite, bronze bar (use ore), billon bar (use ore), fine pewter bar (ore), trifle pewter bar (ore). So, I can't make a pure metal bar? Even though I have 'nickel bars' in my inventory (although I have no idea how to find where in my fort they are?), that... doesn't work? Or it does work, but she still spouts the full list of what she wants until she has everything?

I JUST lost a really high-lvl dwarf because he went insane and I locked him in a room till he died, and this dwarf has a child so I feel REALLY bad about thinking about doing the same to her... but omg I'm so confused ;_;.  I have buckets of chopped-from-trees wood in the room right next to her, and of course stone is evvvvverywhere... so I feel like I'm close to saving her! Help me please? ;_;

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2011, 09:09:42 pm »

Are the bones in the stockpile forbidden? There will be a yellow 'F' next to them if they are. If so you need to hit f to unforbid them so the dwarf can use them. As for the metal bars all you need is a metal bar it doesn't matter if it is an alloy or a pure metal. And it's irrelevant which one they start with, the base request will always be related to what they are making. So if your dwarf is in a mason shop then the base request should always be stone.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »

My possessed dwarf just had a second child. Wow I'm going to feel awful if I have to lock her in till she dies ;_;.

When I mouse over a square of bones and hit F, it got curly brackets, so I checked everything and there are no curly brackets on the names of anything in either refuse pile.

I've set the smelter to smelt one of everything I possibly can, so now have iron and tin bars, in addition to the list above.

I am far too distressed about such a small area of the game. This game's learning curve is so steep, even without the guilt that comes from killing a pixelated mother of two : x. I think if she goes insane I'll just force-quit without saving and try again tomorrow to figure out what is wrong. I shouldn't be despairing! But sadly, I am.

If the stone is present and the wood is present and the metal bars I think are present and I did the raw edit to make any cloth count as any cloth?? maybe?, and surely she has access to bones.... ahhh I shouldn't freak out this much about a game, yet I am. >_<.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 09:59:08 pm »

Is she assigned to any burrows? That might stop her mood from working right.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »

Is she assigned to any burrows? That might stop her mood from working right.
There are 2 things that burrows could mean in relation to moods AFAIK, both of them somewhat bad. First, she'll only gather materials from inside the burrow, so if she's assigned to a burrow and none of the materials she needs are in it, she won't gather. Second, if the burrow doesn't include the workshop she claimed, she'll continuously gather the first material on the list until she's gathered every bit of it in the burrow.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that you did (or knew how) to check what she's gathered already. If you enter the (t)-cursor and scroll over a building, it will tell you the contents of that building. Any items with a blue TSK next to them are claimed for some task, and at a claimed workshop that almost always means they're claimed for the mood. That will tell you what she's gathered already, that will help tell what she still needs, and, perhaps most importantly, that will tell you what she needs next.

IIRC, only metalworking moods can require a specific metal type. Regardless, it's always the type that the moody dwarf has a preference for. It's also possible that a "bones" request (actually body parts) might be shell, but only if the moody dwarf has a preference for a type of shell. If it's that, you're pretty much out of luck, as shells are virtually impossible to get your hands on now.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 10:56:27 pm »

When I press Q and mouse over the Mason shop where the dwarf has holed up, it seems to always start with the bones line, so I assume that's the 'base' request?

Small bit of help, if you press 't' and go over to the Masonry it will show you what she has collected so far (along with what the shop was built from).
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 08:30:50 am »

re burrows: i've seen the magmawiki talk about that and several posts on this forum, but i don't really know anything about them and I sure haven't intentionally set any up. (compare: it took me an hour on Friday to figure out that I had to make up/down stairs on the lvl below where i'd just made up/down stairs; and i failed to comprehend how to set up / work a garbage pile the first five times i read about it in the df.magma quick start so i've had bajillions of claystone hanging around until like just 5 minutes before i went to bed last night. i am srs in the full newb-on stage.)

oooooh I did not know about the t menu! yay learning! it says
Mason's Workshop
(birch) (B) (technically it's in square brackets if that matters, but the forum thought i wanted to bold text so i changed it)
magnetite TSK
magnetite TSK
magnetite TSK
Badger Sow bone (6) TSK

sooooo...... i am stuck on bars, aren't i. stone bone bar cloth tree.

The Traders are in my depot, and the t-view says that they have nickel bars and bronze bars... I guess it's time to read up on how to trade, see if that will fix her bar issue.

edit to add: i have bronze bars in my main store room, about 30 walking squares away from the strangemood dwarf. What is her problemmmmmmmmmmm.

edit again: her screen says she likes black bronze. buhhh am i screwed?

Edit again! SWEET! I have no idea exactly what I did... I figured out how to trade and bought some bronze and nickel bars, along with all sorts of sheep/llama/alpaca cloth and some yarn and like half the caravan's supply of cave spider silk cloth and i just got the message that my dwarf is constructing. Yay for her not dying!

Thank you all so much for your help. I never would have figured this out without knowing about the T menu (and tbh since I'm not sure how I un-knotted her problem, using the term 'figure out' is a bit of an indulgence). Thanks so much ^__^. It looks like the answer is 'just stockpile all the materials you ever can you never know what the dwarf is going to want...'
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:36:22 am by SannaSK »
Pages: 1 [2] 3