Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strange Mood: Drives me to dispair -.-  (Read 8069 times)

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood: Drives me to dispair -.-
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:08:52 am »

Hello dear friends,

I thought I would know what my dwarves are screaming for and what they sketch what they want after they claimed a workshop.

Until now...
I have no idea what else she wants because I'm sure I have all items without any forbidden status in unlocked and unburrowed stockpiles.
But it seems I must probably be wrong and forgot anything important!

So I scream for help!

She sketches pictures of
a quarry
stacked cloth
stacked leather
skeletons
cut gems
rough gems

If I make a "t" on her claimed workshop she has hauled so far:
galena [TSK]
phyllite [TSK]
*rope reed fiber cloth* [TSK]
(cave spider silk cloth) [TSK]

In my unlocked stockpiles I have a huge amount of cloth, leather, cut gems and rough gems.
Stones are lying everywhere on the floor.
And I slaughtered (only for her) so far 12 animals: 4 donkeys, 4 horses and 4 cows/bulls

*sigh*

Any idea?

Thank you

Dispairing greetings ;)

xelo

(maybe next siege I should lower all bridges :P *grrrrr )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:01:09 pm by xelo »
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Echolon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood: Drives me to dispair -.-
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:14:20 am »

Do you also have yarn cloth? Thats the only missing thing I can guess.

Its maybe a good idea to start wall him off before he go berserk.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:25:11 am »

Yes, I'm fearing that...
Without any shearable animals I'm lost.

Is thread made of spinned hair usable to make yarn cloth?
If yes, what is the exact meaning of "needs 15000 threads"?
I have 94 threads out of cow hair so far and some smaller amounts of llama, horse and donkey threads.
I can't imagine I need really 15000 of it. Seems the same bogus number of needed items like making bronze (from bars) if DF says "needed 150 tin bars".

I think I will lock her in. Fortunately she has neither friends nor family.

Thank you

xelo

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:26:01 am »

You can only spin wool into yarn threads and then make cloth at a loom. You get wool by shearing an animal (currently according to the wiki only llamas, alpacas, sheep, and trolls.
The hair that you get from butchering other animals can only be spun into thread but not be woven into cloth.

With some luck you might get either wool or cloth or a shearable animal from the next caravan.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:41:02 am »

You might also try making a couple of rock blocks, if you don't have any on hand; I don't remember off the top of my head whether a "quarry" can mean blocks, but it's worth a shot, I suppose.

Threads are indeed handled with the same sort of quantity identifiers; as I understand it, shearing one animal yields one skein of wool and spinning that yields one piece of yarn cloth.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:19 am »

15000 is some internal counter, probably to hold count of use ups of thread through suturing or of soap through washing.
15000 thread is one item of thread and 10000 cloth is one item of cloth.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:37 am »

She sketches pictures of
stacked cloth
stacked leather
a quarry
skeletons
rough gems
cut gems

If I make a "t" on her claimed workshop she has hauled so far:
galena [TSK]
phyllite [TSK]
*rope reed fiber cloth* [TSK]
(cave spider silk cloth) [TSK]
Are you sure that's the right order of her requests?  Dwarves are supposed to collect in order and if so she skipped leather, going straight from cloth to stone.  Double-check the order and it should indicate what's missing.

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:01:56 am »

Are you out of bones?  Slaughtering animals does not result in bones (i think).  They may need a body part to make a totem.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:06 am »

Are you out of bones?  Slaughtering animals does not result in bones (i think).  They may need a body part to make a totem.
Depends on which animals. The ones OP has slaughtered definitely give bones.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:56:36 am »

More vespene gas.

No, sorry, I mean, more silk cloth? My bet is on the cloth, and you either need to spin your yarn in to yarn cloth or go get more silk cloth. You said you had lots of cloth, but do you have all three kinds? The dorfs differentiate but the thing they say "stacked cloth" could mean any of the three. I recently had a mood that needed silk cloth, and I had to hit the caverns and collect... turned out the dorf wanted THREE pieces of silk.

Your best hope, if you don't have the stuff, is to wait for the next caravan and buy some of everything that might be needed for moods that you don't have (i.e. all three kinds of cloth, all kinds of sand or glass, etc...). Keep your d*** broker free, too. Make sure he's rested up and not hungry.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 11:41:07 am »

Exactly what kind of workshop was claimed, and what skills does the moody dwarf have?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 01:02:21 pm »

Wooow, so many interesting and helpful answers to rescue my dwarfette and to help her in finishing her artifact.

Thank you : )

With some luck you might get either wool or cloth or a shearable animal from the next caravan.
I never got a shearable animal from any caravan until now. The issue with the yarn hitted me several times in the past and I lost half a dozen dwarves in the same way until now so I really was interested in getting such animals. But in vain...
The same is with yarn cloth... I never saw this in any caravan since ~20 years now:
Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally designed image of dwarves by Domas Arzesid Rarras Kalan.  The dwarves are travelling.  The artwork relates to the fundation of Pickclean by The Ink of Defending of the Smiths of Trumpets in the early spring of 1051.
Today it's the 7th Limestone 1070, Mid autumn.
Never got yarn or shearable animals in 20 years by any type of caravan.

You can only spin wool into yarn threads and then make cloth at a loom. You get wool by shearing an animal (currently according to the wiki only llamas, alpacas, sheep, and trolls.
My llamas could never be sheared since 20 years now. I tried to shear many many many times at all seasons without having any success ever.

Are you sure that's the right order of her requests?
Yes.
I don't know on which item this list is beginning, but this is definitively the right order. The duration of time at the position "stacked cloth" is very very long (3-4 times?), so I suspect she needs more cloth.

No yarn, no shearable animals for me... never ever... (see above)

You might also try making a couple of rock blocks, if you don't have any on hand; I don't remember off the top of my head whether a "quarry" can mean blocks, but it's worth a shot, I suppose.
There is an amount of blocks always available for moods like this. Blocks are not the problem, I think.

Exactly what kind of workshop was claimed, and what skills does the moody dwarf have?
She claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.
She is a...
Dabbling Engraver
Dabbling Mason
Dabbling Butcher
Dabbling Brewer
Adequate Thresher (Rusty)
Dabbling Milker
Dabbling Cook
Novice Grower
Adept Stone Crafter
Dabbling Metal Crafter
Dabbling Building Designer
Dabbling Bone Doctor
Dabbling Dyer
Dabbling Spinner

and
Dabbling Persuader
Dabbling Negotiator
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Dabbling Liar
Dabbling Intimidator
Dabbling Conversationalist
Dabbling Comedian
Dabbling Flatterer
Dabbling Pacifier

---------------

Thank you for the many many many answers. This is a great forum here.

My dwarfette isn't lost yet.... she is still waiting for something, but I suspect she needs yarn, because I really have all other things you can think about... collected during 20 years now.
My llamas can't be sheared, caravans never brought yarn or shearable animals to me, trolls can't be tamed. So it seems that I probably might loose another dwarf during a strange mood because of the lack of yarn cloth.

xelo

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51:20 pm »

You can demand items during negotiations, the next year caravan may bring them. That would be too late in this case ...

Because of moody demands and and overall need for bags to store items I always order all sorts of thread, cloth und leather (and other useful things) from the caravans, just in case ... (You can also order animals.)

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:49 pm »

You can demand items during negotiations, the next year caravan may bring them. That would be too late in this case ...

Because of moody demands and and overall need for bags to store items I always order all sorts of thread, cloth und leather (and other useful things) from the caravans, just in case ... (You can also order animals.)
Yeah, but I can only order what will be offered to me. I can't order yarn cloth or yarn thread or shearable animals because the liason is not offering me such items.

Until now I don't find any way to get yarn... maybe someone can help me to modify the RAWs to make at least llamas and/or musk oxes shearable. Would this be a possible solution for a running fortress? Or would I have to start a very new world/fortress to get this bonus?

#....#
###### Bad
#....#
###### Good

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:33 pm »

Given the workshop claimed and the dwarf's skills, this is definitely a Stone Crafter mood, so the "quarry" demand (stones) is the primary material, and it has already been gathered. However, she cannot possibly be demanding the items in the order you indicated, given what she has collected so far - if she's collected cloth, she should have also collected bones and rough+cut gems by now.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3