Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dragon Cult Fort  (Read 4212 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Cult Fort
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »

Well yes this works too... You're no fun...
Did you set their attack trigger tags lower as well? That was always fun.
*embark*
*dragon! Quick, everyone get inside the fort the miners haven't started digging yet!*
*die*

It arrived as a megabeast from the map edge, wasn't a local resident.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:08:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

This may be of interest: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86033
Looks like you need to take out the MEGABEAST tag for them to breed.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:51 pm »

i always found it strange the notions that dragons horde treasure

do they pay tax on it?
what do they have to buy with it?
how do they carry it to their lair without thumbs?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »

Actually I just used advanced worldgen and made 500 megabeasts on a pocket region.
Oh my. That is... lovely.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »

I've always taken dragons to be a sort of crow.  They compulsively horde, attracted to shiny things, and the usual livestock and life necessities.  A lot of myths claim the horde as a mating ritual, like birds building bigger nests to impress a mate, or a territorial thing, as a way to show their might as a collection of riches.  In my own writings of a sort of half-dragon race, I put as a sort of compulsion, almost a tradition.  The great family halls would have deep rooms dedicated to storage of treasures, and bedrooms would often have metal inlays on the walls and trinkets set in little nooks, while even the peasant homes would have racks to hang necklaces or goblets off of.  It was a sort of status symbol, a rite of passage that 'you're not a true dragon unless you've got yourself a bit of gold.'  My view also had it extend that the dragons in general were a bit more opulent with things, not afraid to take a little more time to do things a little bit better.

Oh, and dragon claws are most often shown similar to an eagle's talons, able to close and grasp around things, but I've seen some art of feral dragons carrying pieces of their horde in the mouth.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »

Anyone here remember Pocket dragons? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6hm7obJ08M?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 09:02:23 pm »

Nope, can't say I remember that...
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:34 pm »

Since letting the game run for 1000 years is mostly infeasible, why not temporarily mod Dragons to mature more quickly, if the goal is to guard and protect the newborn dragon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

If we're going to mod like that, might as well raise dogs.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:12 pm »

I was just proposing a way to do it that started quickly... especially if you're just speeding through those 1000 years anyway. This is, again, all assuming that the point was starting to play once the Dragon was an Adult, and the rest was just set-up.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 09:35:39 pm »

Maybe make them mature in 200 years? Or something?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:22 pm »

You can set worldgen to end after 1,000 years, but that's not the issue.  I'm not up to date on my egg style of breeding, but dragons have no [CHILD:X] tag while the females do have an EGG tag, so I think this makes them "breeding age" as soon as they're born (ie, they skip 'puppy' and go straight to 'dog') but much like turkeys, they are not full size just because they're labeled as an adult.  However, the overall idea of the fort is to have a dragon hatch in your fort and survive for 1,000 years, when they reach full size.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »

A bit of pedantry here... it"s hoard in this, not horde...
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »

@Melissia: what?

@Girlinhat: We should go to the modding page for these answers.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

Derp yeah, horde is referring to a host of individuals, hoard is the act of gathering or the gathered bunch.  But it's kinda, a large host of individual treasures?  Right...?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4