Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dragon Cult Fort  (Read 4220 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Dragon Cult Fort
« on: September 16, 2011, 01:53:39 am »

The idea is simple: Run a fort as normal, preferably on a very small embark for FPS issues.  Keep going until you manage to capture a male and female dragon.  Check legends first to make sure there's a living male and female available.  Mod them to be [PET]-able, and tame them.  Egg-layers won't breed unless tame, sadly.  Once acquired, turn off invaders (maybe) and artifacts (maybe) and run your fort for 1,000+ years.  Specifically, run the fort until the dragons lay an egg, it hatches, and that hatchling matures to full size after 1,000 years.

Of course, this IS a dragon we're dealing with...  It needs a proper horde once it matures!  To that end, the caravans and renewable resources are to be exploited to fullest extent.  Import gold and platinum and the best gems, and make endless crafts and chests and bins, and of course statues and other adornments, to provide the first domestic dragon with a horde of treasure.

Quoting myself from another thread:
Tools:
9,001 barrels
Farm plot set for plump helmets, sweet pods, pig tails, and dimple cups.
Farmer's shop, dyer, loom, and clothier.
A good waterfall and dining hall.

Now: With that number of barrels and a single still, you should hit the Booze Singularity Point, where you can set the brewing job on repeat and the amount of clutter will ensure that it never stops.  Eventually, the clutter of barrels in the still will slow down production until it reaches the same rate as consumption, no matter how many dwarves you have.  The Sweet Pods + Plump Helmets helps ensure that booze is never stale, and that the pods can always be brewed even if the helmets are all eaten.

In the meantime, produce ~100 thread, bags of dye, dyed thread, and dyed cloth.  Once you've "primed" the system with a number of items, then go through the textile production line and set it to /R, as long as the farm produces more than a single shop can go through in a year (a 10x10 farm with a good farmer can outdo a farmer's shop with only 1 season of pig tail production) then the clutter effect should streamline production to make sure nothing ever runs out of resources.  Keep this going, and you can automatically produce infinite goods of dyed cloth, and after ~5 years you should have legendary skills and produce 1,800☼+ of goods from every "cloth crafts" job.

Of course, that's a lot of goods produced, so you should sell them every year to 1: Make room for new goods, 2: Score up your Exported Wealth, and 3: Relieve some FPS drag.

You should need to merely act once a year to sell goods and check if your brewer/clothier/farmer has died, and the rest of the time it just runs on smooth.  That is, assuming invaders and artifacts turned off.  Not that invaders are so difficult anyways, and moods can be handled with trade or avoided with a small population.
Trade the sub-par crafts in favor of raw ore and metal bars, with which to make new crafts of higher value.  Import GCS silk thread (not cloth) so that it may be dyed and woven by the most dedicated tailors of the world.  Harvest the surface and produce an endless stream of clear glass goods, menacing with spikes of high value and adorned with hanging rings of trivial indulgence.  Bonus points if you manage to lay gold floor for the growing dragon's horde room and gift the beast with a proper throne and statues and a temple where your peasants may view it with awe.

Additional bonus points if you breed other Mega or Semi-Mega beasts.  Only Dragons, Hydra, and Roc lay eggs.  Giants, Ettin, Cyclops, and Minotaur may breed while untame, as long as they have the [PET] tag and are on the map with the opposite gender, they will breed.  (Although the male may be tame while the female is wild, and the offspring will be wild.  I suggest to tame the male and have a minotaur mayor, they are fun.)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Dragon Cult Fort
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 01:57:31 am »

I motion a team effort.

I have a really really nice computer that can run DF very quickly if I uncap the FPS. However, I will not be around until Sunday evening. If you were to start the project, I could pick it up Sunday evening and let it "cook".

If else, I understand. I will begin Monday!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:59:40 am by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:01:41 am »

You could use dfterm so that it could be ran off your comp constantly.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:00 am »

Explain, please?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:03:34 am »

Isn't it going to be boring, running a fort for 1000 years?  I've never even heard of any fort that long.  But if you do this awesome and dwarfy project, please make it a community fort. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:06:08 am »

Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:41 am »

Interesting, make those dragons breed in a magma-surrounded lower sanctum, lined with dark stone statues.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:12:31 am »

See: Dwarf Fortress: Multiplayer Edition.

Carnes (blessed be he) has managed to cobble together and patchwork glue an actual multiplayer DF.  The suggestion here was to host the game on your computer, and then we could tend the fort whenever one of us is available to look over the trade and skill allocations.  I'm not sure how well this would work, because with 100 FPS, at 1,200 frames per day and 336 days in the dwarven calendar, a year would take 67 minutes and 12 seconds to run a year.  It would take 46 days to run 1,000 years at 100 FPS.  That is assuming zero pauses, zero downtime, and constant FPS.  Of course, it would hopefully be running at higher FPS than that, but still, in multiplayer terms that's simply FAR too long for someone to troll up and pull that one lever.  You know, that bright red one.

On the other hand, I think I've decided what I'm going to do to pass the time until the next update!  Now, how to gen a world without a dwarven civ...  Traders and sieges are the only things that pause the game, everything else can be edited in the announcements to not cause a pause.  Invaders off and a dead parent civ, and the game could run uninterrupted until your fortress crumbles to its end!

Also, no burials: dwarves who die of old age have no ghost, and that should be the only cause of death here.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:16:59 am »

Carnes (blessed be he) has managed to cobble together and patchwork glue an actual multiplayer DF.  The suggestion here was to host the game on your computer, and then we could tend the fort whenever one of us is available to look over the trade and skill allocations.  I'm not sure how well this would work, because with 100 FPS, at 1,200 frames per day and 336 days in the dwarven calendar, a year would take 67 minutes and 12 seconds to run a year.  It would take 46 days to run 1,000 years at 100 FPS.  That is assuming zero pauses, zero downtime, and constant FPS.  Of course, it would hopefully be running at higher FPS than that, but still, in multiplayer terms that's simply FAR too long for someone to troll up and pull that one lever.  You know, that bright red one.

On the other hand, I think I've decided what I'm going to do to pass the time until the next update!  Now, how to gen a world without a dwarven civ...  Traders and sieges are the only things that pause the game, everything else can be edited in the announcements to not cause a pause.  Invaders off and a dead parent civ, and the game could run uninterrupted until your fortress crumbles to its end!

Also, no burials: dwarves who die of old age have no ghost, and that should be the only cause of death here.
Someone tried an automated 1000 year fortress. iirc, it went poorly

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 02:17:23 am »

Like I said, set it up, if you want. I can age a fortress nicely.

Who said that 1000 years is the goal? We can just let it run for as many years as possible. Just let it run and run and run with minimal interruption. Turn the population low, but keep a living parent civilization so that when we deem it necessary, we can turn up population cap and gain a major influx of workers.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:09 am »

Zulban Nettishem, Carpenter has given birth to a girl!
[Signature]

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 02:23:09 am »

I'd like to make a small contribution towards your plan - the caravan clenser. 

You make a small room where your trade depot sits with a floodgate on one wall that holds back water and a grate in the floor with a chamber beneath that has it's own floodgate to let the water out afterwards.  Traders go in, the door gets locked and the first floodgate is opened.  The water floods the trade depot and drowns anything alive and can then be released by opening the second floodgate with the grate keeping the salvagable goodies in the depot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 02:29:11 am »

Actually, at the timescale we're looking at, we'll have to worry more about the baby cap than the pop cap.  If the fort lasts ~200 years, then the birthrate will determine the actual population.  EA dwarven baby takes 12 years to mature.  Dwarves live 150-170 years.  With a baby cap of 1, then that's one born and living 150 years before dying, and in those 138 years that he's a mature adult, more children are born.  At a baby cap of 1, the population should stabilize between 12.5 and 14.1, or really 12-14 with a child being raised.  It will mostly work in multiples of that, so a baby cap of 5 would give 62-70 adults, with some errors for rounding.

200 years may seem enormous, but we're talking about the 1,000 year "juvenile" growth of a dragon here as well.  200 years to stabilize the population is rather small, and migrations will be moot as your fort will sustain itself on births alone.  Only sudden death or war (ie, player) will cause a significant drop.
Zulban Nettishem, Carpenter has given birth to a girl!
You can remove that announcement, and it will no longer pause the game.
I'd like to make a small contribution towards your plan - the caravan clenser.
The trouble is that when "A Vile Force of Darkness" or a caravan appears on the map, the game pauses, and you cannot remove those announcements.  You have to go further, and prevent the caravan from reaching the fort AT ALL.  Islands or dead civs, really.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 02:35:31 am »

Getting a breeding pair will be more fun than the sea serpent thread.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »

*Necro, sorry, got back from my weekend and wanted to continue this thought!*

I can handle announcements, don't worry about that. Just get me the set up, please.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4