Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dragon Cult Fort  (Read 4209 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Cult Fort
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 10:16:04 pm »

A two day necro, wow...

I've currently set up the embark.  It's a pocket world, 1050 year history, and at embark I got ~650 FPS.  After significant digging and a few years, it's ~200, but I'm digging out a whole layer right now and will close it off once I've harvested some tasty stone.

What do you mean, the setup?  I can send you this save, if you want...

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 10:29:21 pm »

You can turn off warnings and announcements in one of the config files.  I turned my "warning hot stone" thing off, which personally annoys me.  Also, try to delete all megabeasts except dragons, then ramp up megabeast caves in world gen.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »

You still can't turn off the liaison or siege announcements.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »

I can help tend to the fort and if you want alot of babies turn [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] into [MULTIPLE_LITTER]

and if you dont mind im gonna try this on my own.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:53:21 pm by wypie »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:44 pm »

Babies aren't a problem.  Dwarves hit the baby cap very quickly when left idle.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 01:18:51 am »

Yeah they do. I wonder how many frames per second I can get if I turn everything off...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »

Specifically, run the fort until the dragons lay an egg, it hatches, and that hatchling matures to full size after 1,000 years.

When the dragons do lay their egg, make sure some hungry dwarf doesn't run up to the nest box and have it for a snack.  Then again, that'd be hilarious.

Now: With that number of barrels and a single still, you should hit the Booze Singularity Point, where you can set the brewing job on repeat and the amount of clutter will ensure that it never stops.  Eventually, the clutter of barrels in the still will slow down production until it reaches the same rate as consumption, no matter how many dwarves you have.  The Sweet Pods + Plump Helmets helps ensure that booze is never stale, and that the pods can always be brewed even if the helmets are all eaten.

In the meantime, produce ~100 thread, bags of dye, dyed thread, and dyed cloth.  Once you've "primed" the system with a number of items, then go through the textile production line and set it to /R, as long as the farm produces more than a single shop can go through in a year (a 10x10 farm with a good farmer can outdo a farmer's shop with only 1 season of pig tail production) then the clutter effect should streamline production to make sure nothing ever runs out of resources.  Keep this going, and you can automatically produce infinite goods of dyed cloth, and after ~5 years you should have legendary skills and produce 1,800☼+ of goods from every "cloth crafts" job.

That's a pretty clever trick, taking advantage of clutter like that.  It occurs to me that, with access to magma and sand/clay, you could also set up an automated glass and/or ceramics production pipeline that way.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:00 pm »

Glass and ceramics are easier if you use Forman (intentionally misspelled) because it will auto-manager tasks.  It doesn't seem to support the cloth industry, but you can tell it "make 100 green glass things" and all stages in between, and then just trade yearly.  For textiles, you gotta abuse clutter.  It gets pretty awesome.  Within like 5 years all my related crafters are legendary and pumping out 550☼-ish value craft items.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 07:30:02 pm »

I want to be a part of this. I vote you get a regular dragon breeding pair and a cave dragon breeding pair, and have two, rival growing dragons to take care of.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

There needs to be a little modding. We need to be able to find 2 dragons (breeding pair) first, without completely destroying the game.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:51:10 pm »

[COMMON_DOMESTIC] ones for embark?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »

Seems a little too easy, no?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »

Seems a little too easy, no?
Heh, worth pondering at least.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 09:20:06 pm »

If there were a desire for easier dragons without changing growth rate* or making them explicitly common, domestic animals my dragonkin mod provides a 'bestial dragon' which is essentially a naturally occurring dragon. The elves may bring them if you're lucky, or Cobalds if the EVIL mod was installed too. (only entity_Cobalds.txt is necessary out of the entity files.) Cobalds are also far more adorable and less deserving of death than elves, and you COULD play as Cobalds and bring a pair of dragons on embark... Still, dragons are absurdly expensive off the traders.

*well, I did give it a more specific curve because I wasn't sure if the game let it exist for 1000 years at size 200k and then it spontaneously becomes 250,000,000, even though that seems ridiculous... Whatever, same end result.

Shameless self-advertising, or ungodly preemptive efforts?
The real question is, do we wait for dragons, bestial dragons, or the emperor dragons to show up?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 09:31:27 pm »

Actually I just used advanced worldgen and made 500 megabeasts on a pocket region.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4