Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overzealous recruit  (Read 1591 times)

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Overzealous recruit
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

So I had just fought off a small goblin siege, nothing major, but I did lose a dwarf from one of my military squads.  I picked a random, no-skill dwarf to fill the empty spot, and went off to designate the yummy goblinite for melting.

A couple of minutes later, I see the Sparring symbol appear on the screen.  On other forts I've gotten sparring to work, but never on this one, so I took notice.  I checked the report screen, and sure enough, one of the sparring dwarves was the new recruit, Zasit Mingkildodok.  Out of curiosity, I opened the combat report to see how he was doing.  To my surprise, there were 3 pages of "The Recruit stabs The Glazer in the head with his iron spear, lightly tapping the target".  A little concerned, I zoom to the location to check out what's going on.

Zasit is indeed in the barracks, sparring.

His sparring "partner", however...  is asleep in bed.

After being assigned to the squad, Zasit ran down to the armory, picked up a spear, and ran back up to the barracks.  He then promptly jumped up on the bed of a sleeping squadmate and began stabbing him in the head.

Guess who earned a promotion to captain of the guard?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Overzealous recruit
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 12:14:27 am »

Was it the stab-ee? I mean with that kind of resilience to light taps on the head while sleeping, he's GOT to be the best choice! :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:57:26 am »

This is why I love the Bay12 community.

"I assigned a new recruit, and he runs to get an iron spear and starts stabbing his sleeping brother in arms.  I promoted him.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 01:00:54 am »

Welcome to DF.

This is a regular occurrence.

I think Toady was quoted for saying that he made DF for the stories that it could create. If not, I am saying it now. Dwarf Fortress isn't a simulator, its a creator. It literally sets the world up, so you can benevolently destroy your civilizations as you see fit. Create the stories for your dwarves, either rise to the top with riches unknown, build a temple to the gods. Let the blood flow from skulls that adorn the walls of your elven killing machines. This is not a game, this is a generator of stories. You could write books from the things that are made.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:02:51 am »

\I think Toady was quoted for saying that he made DF for the stories that it could create. If not, I am saying it now. Dwarf Fortress isn't a simulator, its a creator. It literally sets the world up, so you can benevolently destroy your civilizations as you see fit. Create the stories for your dwarves, either rise to the top with riches unknown, build a temple to the gods. Let the blood flow from skulls that adorn the walls of your elven killing machines. This is not a game, this is a generator of stories. You could write books from the things that are made.

Exactly why I love this game so much. I may very well base my NaNo on Dorfort this year.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 01:25:08 am »

Refresh my memory, NaNo?
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:26:58 am »

Refresh my memory, NaNo?

probably referring to National Novel Writing Month, it's a challenge to write a (IIRC) 10,000 word story over the course of November.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:30:41 am »

You are correct, except the target is 50,000 words.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:25 am »

That's intense! I want information about this event, please.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:45:40 am »

Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:35 am »

Awesome. Thank you.