Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games for 1st graders  (Read 2432 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Games for 1st graders
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »

At my school we are helping 1st graders with computers.
Games like balloons tower defnce 3. Games that make
you think but with no blood. Links please.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Games for 1st graders
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:49:59 pm »

Music Catch 2?

I have to admit that it's not really a "thinking" game, but it would help them learn to use the mouse better (I guess?) and introduce them to awesome music that isn't whatever they hear on the radio.

Wait, no. Wonderputt. This is an awesome game. The premise is simple, but you definitely need to think when you aim and the way the game is presented would be excellent for first graders.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »

I find Doom 3 to be pretty thought provoking.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »

Transformice

herp

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:27 pm »

Gods alive, do not use anything multiplayer unless it's in-house. At least not until 3rd grade or so. Recipe for absolute disaster, that, and probably losing your job once the parents find out what the kids have been exposed to.

Unless they can't read. Might be okay if they can't read. (Yes, I realize it was a joke suggestion. Still...)

I'd, uh. I'd say maybe find a working windows version of Odell Lake, or Odell Down Under? I played those when I was in first grade (earlier, actually). They were awesome, though they're pretty old nowadays.

Alternately, give a search of 'edutainment'. There's a whole host of games specifically for early education learning environments.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

Oregon Trail.

Sim City. Original version.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 06:14:43 pm »

Hands-down, Pajama Sam. Those games (I think that there are 3) were beastly awesome point-and-click adventure games aimed at kids about that age group. I played them as a kid, and I still get awesome nostalgia from them. They're also challenging enough to keep a kid going for some time. I didn't actually beat the third one until I gave it another shot at age 13.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »

I find Doom 3 to be pretty thought provoking.
Indeed. On the topic of philosophy-inducing games, I must wholeheartedly add "Grand Theft Auto". It's take on the American criminal underworld is absolute genius; I have a feeling those first graders will leave your classroom with knowledge decades beyond what most have.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »

These are not free(but cheap), mind you.
Professor Fizzwizzle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gwkAHtRkgI - how the game looks like

It's a puzzle game stylized as a platformer. You push some barrels and crates to get to the exit point.
Starts off easy, but soon enough ends up being a real brain teaser. Scratch that, it's fucking HARD. My hair, my poor hair...

World of Goo

Another puzzle game with deceptivelly cute graphics. I guess kids will just ignore the somewhat Terry Gilliam-ish imagery and focus on the challenges. Nowhere near as hard as the Prof. but that is not to say it won't strain any player's(1st grader or adult) grey matter.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:42 pm »

Hands-down, Pajama Sam. Those games (I think that there are 3) were beastly awesome point-and-click adventure games aimed at kids about that age group. I played them as a kid, and I still get awesome nostalgia from them. They're also challenging enough to keep a kid going for some time. I didn't actually beat the third one until I gave it another shot at age 13.

And Putt-putt (whatever the purple car was called) by that same company. Because that game was awesome, too.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 06:19:51 pm »

I STILL play World of Goo. For young players, the puzzle solving dynamic is great. For me, the dynamics of construction involved in that game take the cake, however.

Basically the premise of the game is simple; you get little goo balls rolling around on some terrain. You then build things with them; bridges, towers, pitfalls, whatever suits your obstacle. There's enough levels to keep them occupied with some time, and I really doubt any of them will actually beat the game.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »

And Putt-putt (whatever the purple car was called) by that same company. Because that game was awesome, too.
Nostalgia is rushing in like nothing else. Probably the only point and click adventures I ever played.

Some Civilization games that are less difficult could be handy. It'll help you remember various names absolutely forever.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  And where can I get world of Goo.
( one of my buddies can't read) and btw I'm not the teacher we have 1st
Buddies in 8 th grade so my teacher did this with us.

I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:46 pm »

By the company, Humongous: (in order of difficulty)

Putt Putt
Freddi Fish
Pajama Sam
Spy Fox

Man I loved those games. Also, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and Trackmania Nations (without online support, of course) if the computers can handle 3D well.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 06:33:18 pm »

Do they have to be new games?
Because the old Maxis games like Simtant, Simtunes, Simtown would be prefect.
Pages: [1] 2 3