Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stabbed In Foot - What Just Happened?  (Read 1138 times)

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stabbed In Foot - What Just Happened?
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:11:00 pm »

The scene: Goblin invasion. They tested out my new set of entrance traps, which worked far beyond my expectations.

While my dwarves are picking up goblin bits so that the traps can fire again, one of my laborers comes across a goblin thief and gets stabbed in the foot before it runs away. She falls over, but has reasonably high toughness and endurance so she doesn't pass out. However, her health screen does ready "Ability to stand lost" and when I examine her she has active requests for a diagnosis and crutches.

Due to some bug, nobody comes and recovers her to take her to the hospital herself. She lies in a stream for the better part of a month with a cut open foot while I try to figure out how to get someone to take her to the hospital.

However, while I'm setting up a cave-in near her to re-queue her diagnosis request, she gets up and moves back into the fort. I'm excited, but she doesn't go to the hospital. She goes to bed. When I checked her z-health screen she no longer had an open diagnosis request, nor crutch request, and it looks like she's walking again even though she suffered motor nerve damage?

I was under the impression that motor nerve damage was permanent. How is she moving around?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stabbed In Foot - What Just Happened?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:49 pm »

Nerve damage is permanent, that's why she's using a crutch.  Crutches used to be broken and unusable, but the latest version fixed that.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »

Motor nerve damage is permanent, but it doesn't always cause loss of ability to stand.  Probably she lost the ability to stand because of the injury to her ankle, and once that healed she can walk again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »

"Ability to stand lost" is not the same as "Motor Nerve Damage" or "Limb Gone".  It means "there has been damage to make standing impossible by some means".  A stab in the foot probably caused the foot to lose function without breaking a bone or severing a nerve, so the cut eventually healed and the dwarf went on as normal.