Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Long patrol rage: is there anything to be done?  (Read 3992 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Long patrol rage: is there anything to be done?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:45 pm »

You can stop long patrol duty bad thoughts a few ways.

1) Reduce the max number on orders, so soldiers deactivate.
2) have the entire squad inactive one month out of every season
3) Only leave legendary squads active; legendary military dwarves don't get bad thoughts from patrol duty[confirm?].  All other squads remain inactive until trained to legendary: they'll do a little training on their own until it's their turn in the danger room.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 05:33:07 pm »

You can stop long patrol duty bad thoughts a few ways.

1) Reduce the max number on orders, so soldiers deactivate.
2) have the entire squad inactive one month out of every season
3) Only leave legendary squads active; legendary military dwarves don't get bad thoughts from patrol duty[confirm?].  All other squads remain inactive until trained to legendary: they'll do a little training on their own until it's their turn in the danger room.
Indeed. reducing the max number on the order causes soldiers to take a break. Have, say, 1 or 2 of them off duty at a time, and you'll probably see a significant reduction in complaints. I'm pretty sure they'll still jump to the call of duty if you give them an order, too.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 07:19:09 am »

I seen claims it is bugged (what a surprise). Supposedly when soldier go back to duty, his bad thought starts very fast to be "enraged by...". No buildup, like first time. Something is not getting resetted properly.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:46 am »

I'm absolutely certain that the exact trigger for this thought is when a dwarf needs to eat/sleep/drink while on duty but can't, because he needs to be on duty because either you've issued an order or the minimum requirement of dwarves on duty is too high.

If you have ten dwarves in a squad and the minimum number on duty is also ten (which is the default), then all of the squad dwarves need to be on duty at all times, no matter what. 
They'll still leave to eat/drink/sleep, but they're 'breaking orders' to do so.  Bad thought triggered.

Set the minimum number to around 6-7 for a full squad, so they can let squadmates off to take care of business.  Another side benefit is that off-duty dwarves that aren't taking care of needs will do civilian jobs, so you can get some more use out of them as haulers or have them cross-train.

I've been pretty strict about making sure none of my schedules ever ask for too many dwarves on duty at once,and I never see this particular bad thought, pretty much ever.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:00:21 am »

For some reason it seems the FPS falls with new mined rock boulders, but those boulders as furniture or even crafts seem to effect much less...
The players didn't create the atom smasher for no reason, you know ;)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 08:57:59 am »

The heroes are bugged ATM.  Every month they switch back to civilian duties and then right back to military duty.  They will loose their hero status then and won't regain it until they gain a skill level in their weapon (or possibly other military skills [confirm]).
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 12:02:43 pm »

It is also a good idea to try to give your military dwarves a civilian skill.  If there is nothing in particular that needs doing.  My personal preference is to build a catapult battery somewhere in the mines, set the catapults to "fire at will" and switch on siege operation for your entire army.  While not particularly useful, it is simple and relatively cheap to set up.

I set all 10 of my Dwarves in a melee squad as miners, and then have 6 of 10 on training duty and the other four mine while off duty. So far no tantrums have occurred with his setup and all my dwarves get pretty strong and agile from the mining.

The added strength they get from legendary mining helps with wearing heavy armor and the added agility helps with fighting. Does the siege engineer skill add anything to stats similar to mining skill at high skill levels?

I’m wondering if I shouldn’t swap the legendary miners to another civilian skill while off duty like siege engineering or something, but I’m a bit worried if their mining skill gets rusty they’d lose their stat boost. Does anyone know what the penalty is for a rusty skill?

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

They should continue to use their mining skill in individual combat drills, attacking, parrying, and classroom demonstrations. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 [2]